Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TE 610 Rear suspension ???  (Read 482 times)

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
TE 610 Rear suspension ???
« on: December 16, 2011, 12:36:03 am »
Ok my  new TE 610 really is way low at the rear - I have tried looking at the handbook for adjustment and what a crock of shyte. They referer to numbers that do not exist in the photograph and clicks that are not even mentioned??? Measured my seat height and is 890mm - spec is 940mm ??? Clearly this bike was dialed in for shortshit riding (sorry Buks but was probably not you). The spring setting appears set half way on the thread - I can dial it down (fooking difficult to get in there!) - is this the way to go?. Also where should the settings be on the Sachs canister? The large dial does not move - must one unlock it (looks like a small recessed allenhead)? Inputs welcome.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
Re: TE 610 Rear suspension ???
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 07:04:40 am »
The clicks they mention in the manual are the fast and slow damping settings (those two dials) if I remember correctly the outer one is slow damping and the inner one is fast.  They should both move (but be careful of applying force they are only brass).  I fiddled with mine when I got it and then left them once I was happy - cant remember what I set it to.  (I vaguely remember setting it all to zero and then going one or two clicks in on the high speed and one click on the slow speed).

I think there is a rebound damping screw at the bottom of the shock but I didnt fiddle with that.

Blazes would probably give you the best settings.

As far as adjusting the height goes - you need to adjust the preload on the spring.  I used a big screw driver and a hammer to tap the locking rings, worked much better that one of those C spanner things which just slipped off all the time.  You need to basically just set the sag for your weight.
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 08:10:06 am »

Thanks Alan - Will have another look at it today.

I did try and adjust the high and low compression - the outer dial did not want to turn (this is low daming as I understand) - I will spray with release oil and see later (did not want to force it as you say). High speed adjuter is labelled #3 in illustration but is refrred to as #6 in text.

Adjusted the rebound on bottom of shock - also very difficult angle to get to (illustration shows it on opposite side to chain which it is not) and it was turned right in.

Started adjusting the spring by tapping lock ring loose ... very difficult to get in there with spring spanner so yes will probably tap it to get adjust.

Thanks again for input.

The clicks they mention in the manual are the fast and slow damping settings (those two dials) if I remember correctly the outer one is slow damping and the inner one is fast.  They should both move (but be careful of applying force they are only brass).  I fiddled with mine when I got it and then left them once I was happy - cant remember what I set it to.  (I vaguely remember setting it all to zero and then going one or two clicks in on the high speed and one click on the slow speed).

I think there is a rebound damping screw at the bottom of the shock but I didnt fiddle with that.

Blazes would probably give you the best settings.

As far as adjusting the height goes - you need to adjust the preload on the spring.  I used a big screw driver and a hammer to tap the locking rings, worked much better that one of those C spanner things which just slipped off all the time.  You need to basically just set the sag for your weight.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 08:36:38 am »
I did try and adjust the high and low compression - the outer dial did not want to turn

Just make sure you are trying to turn it the right way, maybe its all the way in already?  :biggrin:
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 08:41:08 am »
Ja- off to do it methodically now - race sag, static sag then dials! Will reprot back  :ricky:

Offline Buks

• RR's no more!!
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 03:12:31 pm »
 :mwink: ....yes, shortshit only increased the pre-load on the spring a bit - using the blunt end of a  ''socket-extension arm'' and a small hammer. I was afraid of fiddling with all the other settings and was planning to take it to an expert for fine tuning, but never got to it!
2012 Honda XR650L

THE PAST :   '83 Honda MT5; '84 Honda MTX200R; '8? Kawa GPZ550; '79 Honda XL185S; '94 Honda XLR250R; '08 BMW G650Xchallenge; '95 Honda Africa Twin; '10 Honda XR125L; '10 Yamaha XT250; '09 Husqvarna TE610; '10 Honda XR250 Tornado... and more than a dozen Honda + Yamaha ATV's + 1 Arctic Cat DVX400.

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 07:55:40 pm »
Ok seem to have got this sorted - needed to adjust the preload considerably like probably 15+ mm on the collar. Sorted race and static sag and dialed in (out actually) the compression and rebound. Need to do a bit of in saddle testing tomorrow but no longer dragging its ass with me weighing on it. Nice sense of accomplishment ... proceeded to do the same for my sons new KDX and he learnt in the process.  :thumleft:

Offline Buks

• RR's no more!!
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 08:29:40 pm »
 :thumleft: Remember to also drop the forks to max length then.....
2012 Honda XR650L

THE PAST :   '83 Honda MT5; '84 Honda MTX200R; '8? Kawa GPZ550; '79 Honda XL185S; '94 Honda XLR250R; '08 BMW G650Xchallenge; '95 Honda Africa Twin; '10 Honda XR125L; '10 Yamaha XT250; '09 Husqvarna TE610; '10 Honda XR250 Tornado... and more than a dozen Honda + Yamaha ATV's + 1 Arctic Cat DVX400.

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 08:57:13 pm »
:thumleft: Remember to also drop the forks to max length then.....

Ja will do, thanks.  :thumleft: