Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Alfie Cox fined R10 000  (Read 2931 times)

Offline krazy-eyes

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
Re: Alfie Cox fined R10 000
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2007, 09:18:35 am »
aaaaaaaaah geeeez  ::)

they were riding on unregistered roads.......is that not the nature of a dirtbike, to ride it on anything BUT a registered road? what if they were on mountainbikes, or even walking on foot, would the official still have shat his pants at them?
note how ambiguous he is by accusing them of riding on the beach, but knowing that they are not actually on a beach he ads the "unregistered road" bit to cover his arse.

and if they were indeed riding on a public road, the twatwaffle probably would have arrested them for operating unregistered/unroadworthy vehicles on a public road.

you simply cannot win with that kind of mentality.....he makes an EXCELLENT government employee  ::)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 09:21:45 am by krazy-eyes »

Offline GeoffR

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2007, 09:34:05 am »
Not sure Watty!?

I am very interested as I will be on a bike tour of the Wild Coast leaving Ct on the 9th August. Hence my concern/interest to get to the bottom of the issue. Would hate to be pulled off by these guys for doing something that I did not know was wrong. The Cliff's on the South side of Coffee Bay are a major sight seeing spot and I always stop here to check the great sea view. Don't want to have an R5 stuck in my ear for doing just this.......

I will keep following up.

Maybe someone can get the "real" story from Alfie then we will have a clearer picture of what their gripe really was. Example would be a straight "yes we rode on the beach" or "yes we wheelied over a pristine dune area" or "we raced through a village killing 20 chickens drove down a foot path killed three local woman..........". I know I am being silly here but it would give much better insight into what we need to be careful about.

But then why try and stop the "Chinese" poaching syndicates that are succeeding in stripping the crayfish in the area when you can nail the odd biker or 4x4'er for riding on an unregistered road?????????????????

Maybe we get the truth from Alfie!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 01:22:10 pm by GK »

Offline krazy-eyes

• Race Dog
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2007, 09:40:20 am »
 Arkwright said the beach, especially the area between Hole-in-the-Wall and Coffee Bay, is being ruined.
"People speed along the beaches and the dunes on scramblers and quadbikes, and don't care how much damage they inflict."  

no!
there is a sea-cliff for most of the way between coffee bay and hole. there are huge boulders at the foot of the cliff, it would be impossible to ride there.
if there is indeed a disputed area they should fence it off, because as it is right now there is no indication of what is the road and what is an off-limits track.

Offline krazy-eyes

• Race Dog
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2007, 09:43:09 am »
congratulations to the authorities for putting an end to a great source of revenue/tourism in that aree, i'm sure the locals will aplaud them for it  ::)

Offline GeoffR

• Pack Dog
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2007, 09:45:48 am »
They are definitely smoking the Transkei Gold because as you say the beach area is almost 100% inaccessible between these 2 places. There is however a lovely fishing spot with beautiful green lawns around it and a dirt track leading to it from the road between CB and HITW.

Only Alfie can tell us!

Offline Obi -Wan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2007, 10:28:07 am »
Unfortunately for the locals, when I read this ( and for some reason the Transkei keeps appearing in the news with this kind of report ) I will simply ride elsewhere,  where the people want you to visit and spend money in their area. The same thing applies  to Lesotho - I may never have stones thrown at me but why take a chance? 10 Long distance trips to Namibia I have never had stones thrown at me - maybe that's why i keep going back.

It makes no difference who was wrong or right but a snotnose bureacrat with an attitude and assault rifle worries me - I wonder if he is such a rambo without the R1?      
Real Men ride a Pig !

Offline CrazyPorra

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • The Mutton Man
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2007, 01:08:52 pm »
 Arkwright said the beach, especially the area between Hole-in-the-Wall and Coffee Bay, is being ruined.
"People speed along the beaches and the dunes on scramblers and quadbikes, and don't care how much damage they inflict."  

no!
there is a sea-cliff for most of the way between coffee bay and hole. there are huge boulders at the foot of the cliff, it would be impossible to ride there.
if there is indeed a disputed area they should fence it off, because as it is right now there is no indication of what is the road and what is an off-limits track.

Brings back memories, a year ago I rode and stopped at that exact spot for a bite to eat, what a view, luckuly for me no one arounf with a R1.

Offline GeoffR

• Pack Dog
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2007, 01:20:12 pm »
I got this response from the owner of the Ocean View Hotel in Coffee Bay.

Hello Geoff
Thank you for your e-mail, and we understand your concerns.
There is so much confusion surrounding the implementation of this Act and we are trying to get the whole issue clarified.
However, from your description of where your bikes ride - we're sure that's all above board.
We are checking out the area you refer to between ourselves and HITW - presume it is at Hluguwane or "baby hole" as it is sometimes referred to.
We will let you know as soon as we know.
However, in the meantime we suggest that you apply for a permit in the club's name to enable you to deviate from the so-called "official" roads if you have to.
This can be done through the Department of Environmental Affairs and Tourism.
Details of the relevant Act are as follows:-
Decree No 9
Environmental Conservation Act of 1992.
Please contact us if we can assist in any other way.
Regards
Peter Challis

Offline Bossies

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
    • http://buyaikhaya.blogspot.com
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2007, 01:44:24 pm »
"He faught the law; the law won..."

I'm with Lecap on this one. If you ride where you are not allowed to then you must pay the consequences. I can only assume that "Boetie op manouvres" wouldn't have reacted if he wasn't provoked. I have never met, let along seen alfie so have no idea what type of a person he is. If he was running an operation of this sought he should have by now made the effort to introduce himelf to the local conservation team...or what!

Sorry but the reality is that the days of old where you can ride just whereever you want are going; just accept it. These measures where brought in due to a handful of people who abused their privilege to enter the area and now a blanket ban has to be implemented to protect the area. If they make an exception to one then they will have to make an for all.
If there's a will there's a way...so I will anyway!!!
http://buyaikhaya.blogspot.com
BMX, Orange "Help-my-trap", Honda Lead 50, TW125, XJ600s, Funduro, XJ900s, XR250, DL650VStrom, DR650SE, R80GS Now: Bikeless

Offline SGB

• Race Dog
  • 1190R / 1200 GS LC / Husaberg TE 300
    • DS Rider Training
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2007, 03:13:43 pm »
I have never met, let along seen alfie so have no idea what type of a person he is. If he was running an operation of this sought he should have by now made the effort to introduce himelf to the local conservation team...or what!

You clearly have not met the person, and how do you know he has not done the intro thing?   You should get some facts before you shout.  Maybe just reading my earlier post on this thread will help you a little bit.  You sound like Ruan Botha....
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline Rat

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2007, 06:03:59 pm »
All this crap ! Why does someone not just get Alffies version?

Offline Bossies

• Pack Dog
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2007, 06:29:34 pm »
You clearly have not met the person, and how do you know he has not done the intro thing?   You should get some facts before you shout.  Maybe just reading my earlier post on this thread will help you a little bit.  You sound like Ruan Botha....

Hell Boet; you and Alfie are clearly tight chommies to drive you to attack me like that.

As I clearly said I have never met him that's why I qualified my statement...

Why should I base my OPINION on your OPINION. I base it on fact and the only thing remotely close to fact on this whole thread are the newspaper articles

Nothing in my comment was attacking Alfie; it's just surprising that ANY operator doing business in the area should get such a harsh reaction from an conbservation officer if I assume Alfie had gone to the trouble of making sure he was riding in areas he was allowed to. In the EP Herald interview Alfie effectively admitted he was in the wrong that he did take his customers into a restricted area but that his whole issue is about how the guy reacted. So from the guy's reaction we could therefore be led to believe that they had not been introduced in the passed otherwise he would not have reacted as he did...unless the laaitie is just plain doff. But then back to the reason for his reaction, Alfie was guilty of tresspassing and it's pretty much irrelevant of how he reacted. He had the full right to act as he did (attempt to affect an arrest)  even though it might be the opinon of some that he overreacted. I agree that it was an overreaction but he acted within his legal right and responsibility.

Please accept the fact that ALL internet forums work on the basis of peoples opinions and without them there would be no threads. I don't always agree with all that is said on these boards and I try to keep my comments contrustive and I don't attack anyone. This topic was bound to be emotive so obviously there will be some people that wont have the same opinon as you...so must we all just shut up?

And who the F(^*& is Ruan....
BMX, Orange "Help-my-trap", Honda Lead 50, TW125, XJ600s, Funduro, XJ900s, XR250, DL650VStrom, DR650SE, R80GS Now: Bikeless

Offline SGB

• Race Dog
    • DS Rider Training
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2007, 09:39:42 pm »
My apologies, Sir Bossies.   I am not here to attack you at all.  Yes, I have discussed this with Alfie, but I am not here to cover for him.  What is fact however is that there are big issues in the area in question, and it is not going to solve anything if I try and explain it here.  There is an investigation on the go, lets see what comes out of it.

Mr Botha is the officer with the R1.  (Like I said - read the thread).
www.countrytrax.co.za

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2007, 07:39:20 am »
Very interesting this morning in the Daily Dispatch news paper a Donald Bradbury wrote Alfie has been seen riding on the beach in front of the hotel many times and has been warned many times.

G Alexander wrote he knows R Botha to be a good upstanding individual and would never react like that.

Offline GeoffR

• Pack Dog
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2007, 02:28:33 pm »
SGB,

If you know Alfie then maybe you can find out the following for us. For the sake of the question let us surmise that the investigation is about the officers behavior and NOT about the offense.

"What did Alfie do that was against the law"?

His answer should be as per my suggestion in a previous post; "I did the following..................and was therefore fined accordingly"!

Thanks.

Geoff.

Offline Bossies

• Pack Dog
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2007, 04:40:46 pm »
Mr Botha is the officer with the R1.  (Like I said - read the thread).

...now I feel the idiot.

Due to the sensitive nature of this case and the reaction it has caused I can assume that we wont hear anything of great detail from the parties involved, on both sides, until it has all been discussed and settled behind closed doors. Rightly so too. I don't want to see anyones dirty jocks on the washing-line anyway ;)

Your Hinnie-ass Klein-Baas Bossies
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 04:43:15 pm by Bossies »

Offline SGB

• Race Dog
    • DS Rider Training
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2007, 07:20:14 pm »
SGB,

"What did Alfie do that was against the law"?

If there was a simple answer to this question, there would be no lawyers around..... ;)

Knowing Alfie however, the end of the statement following the investigation will say something like "...... and they lived happily ever after". 

We have seen from the above that there are as many opinions as there are people.  In the mean time it is advisable not to ride on a cattle track along the Wild Coast.   You get into bigger trouble for that than killing a biker on the N1....... 
www.countrytrax.co.za

Offline Watty

• RIP 29-07-2011
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki Djebel 250XC
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2007, 02:47:11 pm »
Some more info as published in today's EP Herald:

Peace officer had to chase Cox for an hour

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2007, 03:10:17 pm »
Bliksem so Alfie even tried to run away. This Mr Scheepers sounds a bit vindictive. But this is turning into bad now, it seems

Offline Bossies

• Pack Dog
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2007, 05:18:01 pm »
Bliksem so Alfie even tried to run away. This Mr Scheepers sounds a bit vindictive. But this is turning into bad now, it seems

I think Kirsten will have you for calling her a "MR" ;)

...I have nothing more to add