Sundowners trip; Legalemetsi

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
I would like to share with wd, an amazing trip I rode this afternoon/evening. At around 4pm, I decided to tackle the Legalemetsi/Orrie Baragwanith pass. Its just down the road for me, but I have not been able to find anyone willing to join me for this challenge, so I filled up in Letsitele, bought some bottled water and strapped it in with the rain/wind coat on the back seat and headed for the pass alone. (never advisable). I got to the entrance gate at 4.30. The gates close at 6.00pm. The guy at the gate said 'no problem' on this bike, you will make the exit gate by 06.00pm, and by the way, no bikes allowed, but no problem, just sign here. The first part is tarred, maybe 10km or so. This turned to a slightly used two track road. Then some interesting and exciting rocky descents and probably100 plus Zebra on the top sighted. I got to the exitgate with 15  mininutes to spare. From the exit gate and for the next hour plus down the pass I was negotiating the toughest pass I have ever done - Sani pass, Baviaans is easy. I did not time or measure the distance as all I was doing was concentrating on traversing loose rock and boulders. There was never a chance to turn back, the gates were closed! Going up would not be easier as the stretches of eroded rock are steep and long with very few opportunities to stop a take a breather. This trip should be on everyones list to do, its challenging and incredibly beautiful. The round trip via Trichardtsdal, the Downs, Boyne and Magoebaskloof took 5 hours with minimal stops. I did take some pics on my phone and will see if they are worth posting later.