Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Africa tour to the equator and back in 40 days  (Read 21288 times)

Offline schalk vd merwe

Re: Africa tour to the equator and back in 40 days
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2012, 12:45:48 pm »
Day 8                     12/12/2011                                          Senga Bay Lake Malawi
When we woke up the next morning and saw the beautiful lake and experienced the ambiance of the guest house we decided to have a day off and stay for a day. After all we have travelled 2833 KM total so far without a rest. Also by now it felled that something was wrong with the back part of our anatomy as the Yamaha’s must have the hardest seat of most bikes, although that is the only part that I can find fault with on an otherwise  a very reliable bike. The staff washed our washing as by now we were already wearing our cleanest dirty clothes. Also my “waterproof” boots were put out in the sun to dry after 4 days of rain riding. The only other pair of shoes was a space saving pair of sandals that I brought along. We had a lovely boere breakfast. After breakfast our entrepreneur guide arrived to offer us a bargain boat ride to go and see how a Fish Eagle would catch a fish. A photo shot was guaranteed. As we already agreed with Leon to ride to a crocodile farm to go and see some crocodiles we sadly had to turn him down. Leon had a little off road bike and off we went. It was nice to ride without luggage and the bike felt very light. At the croc farm there were more than a thousand croc’s. The croc’s were fed other chopped up croc’s. So they are basically cannibals. After the crocodile cannibal show we went to have a beer at a local hotel also on the beach. Juan does not drink alcohol or gas cold drinks so he was suffering on this trip with fresh fruit juice not always available. We went back to the guest house and while I was lacing around Juan went for a swim in the lake. Juan is like a fish in water and where ever we came to water he did not need any invitation to go for a swim. Writing down these memories a year later makes me want to go back and do some more traveling. That night Juan and I had a braai with the meat that we bought from shopright the previous day with beers and complimentary food supplied by Leon and Ingrid. There was only a low fence between our braai and the beach. End of day 8.
1/The only way to get experience is to get experience-Schalk                
2/Ride Reports>Long Tours>Africa Tour To The Equator And Back In 40 Days
3/A stranger is just a friend you have not met yet
4/Whatever you vividly imagine, ardently desire, sincerely believe in and enthusiastically act upon must come to past-Paul J Mayer
5/Use the rocks in the your way to build stepping stones-Herman Zapp

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2012, 01:49:24 pm »
Wat n lekker trip, gooi nog!  :thumleft:

Offline schalk vd merwe

« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2012, 04:48:55 pm »
Day 9           13/12/2010               Senga Bay---Nkhata Bay                      329Km
The next morning we posed for photos with Leon and Ingrid (see photos on previous page) and left to tackle the road going north along Lake Malawi. Here are some interesting statistics on Lake Malawi.
1.   580KM long
2.   75 Km wide
3.   695 meter deep at the deepest point
4.   Is the fresh water lake with the most different species of fish in the world    +/- 1000 species
5.   Was formed 500 BC
In a small town on the way we saw a coffin shop on the street (see photo below). We also saw some guys with bicycles with unbelievable loads on (see photos). Later on we stopped on a beach and saw mini tornados on the water (see photos below) it is caused by evaporation. The ride was scenic and after 329 Km we reached Nkhata Bay. As we came around a bend with Lake Malawi on the background we saw a sign “camping and chalets”. We went past and went into the little town of Nkhata. The town was flooded with people and ladies with baskets on their heads. It was also a harbour town with fairly large boats in the harbour. We then turned around and booked into the campsite. The camp was 2 meter from the water edge with 2 small tents already there. Space was limited and Juan and I pitched our tents a meter away from the other 2 tents. We later met the occupants. The one young couple was from Canada and they have been hitch hiking through South Africa and was now on their way through Africa also hitch hiking. The other was an Italian guy, he has been traveling around the world for the last 10 years also hitch hiking. His favourite continent is Africa where he spent most of his time. He said that he has developed a cheap way to travel around as he was living of the income from a house that he rent out in Italy. He goes into town and has breakfast for R 5-00 so he really knows his way around. Then there were two guys in a chalet. They were Students at Stellenbosch University and came on public transport. Then there was 2 young guys from Holland, they were doing voluntary aid work in Africa. By that evening we were already good friends with the Italian guy and the two Dutch guys. I got them hooked on rooibos tee with condensed milk which we made on our little gas stove. As the stars were extremely bright I told them to watch out for satellites. They did not believe me that you could see satellites and I took them  a bet that if we see a satellite then they have to buy us a beer or if we don’t then I will buy them a beer. Juan and I went to have dinner on the stoep which was their restaurant. That was only about 10 meter away from where the Italian and  two Dutch guys were sitting on a timber deck next to the water. Just after Juan and I ordered dinner they shouted that they see a satellite, bingo they owe me a beer. The owner of the establishment was a British lady who was married to an Malawian man with Rasta hair locks. Her girlfriend who was visiting from England came to sit at the table just behind us also with a Rasta young man from Malawi . She ordered them some food. I could hear from their conversation that they had a ding the night before. She wanted more tonight but he wanted to go and have a jol with his buddies instead. Although I had sympathy with both of them we pretended to hear nothing as Juan and I spoke Afrikaans to each other. After dinner Juan and I went down to the timber deck to do more satellites watching with our buddies and more Rooibos tee that was by now in great demand with the 3 Europeans. After every one went to bed I still sat there on the deck watching the unbelievable bright sky. The last time I saw the sky that bright was in the Mashatu game reserve in Botswana in 2001. That night I fell asleep with the sound of small waves braking against the rocks just meters away from our tents.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 05:42:33 pm by schalk vd merwe »
4/Whatever you vividly imagine, ardently desire, sincerely believe in and enthusiastically act upon must come to past-Paul J Mayer

Offline schalk vd merwe

« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2012, 04:52:55 pm »
Coffin Shop on the street

Offline schalk vd merwe

« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2012, 04:56:05 pm »
Bicycle with a heavy load

Offline schalk vd merwe

« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2012, 04:58:58 pm »
Wood bridge on the way north

Offline schalk vd merwe

« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2012, 05:02:05 pm »
Doing our good deed for the day with our hand pump

Offline schalk vd merwe

« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2012, 05:06:20 pm »
On the Malawi Lake beach with mini tornado's in the background which is caused by evaporation

Offline schalk vd merwe

« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2012, 05:09:08 pm »
More mini tornado's

Offline schalk vd merwe

« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2012, 05:11:26 pm »
Real Africa

Offline schalk vd merwe

« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2012, 05:13:47 pm »
Some more real Africa

Offline schalk vd merwe

« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2012, 05:16:19 pm »
The Boab trees make the bikes look small

Offline schalk vd merwe

« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2012, 05:21:17 pm »
Nkhata Bay camp site with our tents next to the trees with the timber deck in front

Offline schalk vd merwe

« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2012, 04:53:15 pm »
Day10                   14/12/2010                                      Nkhata Bay  Lake Malawi
We woke up early the next day and decided due to the beautiful setting to stay another day. Little did we know that it will be many more KM before we were going to have a rest day again and little did we know that real serious riding would start in 3 days’ time. We went to have breakfast while the two Dutch guys joint the Italian to go and try the R5.00 breakfast in town. When they returned we decided to rent a boat together to go out on Lake Malawi and do some fishing, swimming and also the boat owner promised us that he will take us to see a fish eagle catching a fish down somewhere special. The boat had no ores but had a 2 nd motor lying on the floor in case of a breakdown. We went out about 5 KM and there we saw a fisherman with a dugout canoe. I took a photo of him and I think that was about the best photo of the trip. We went another KM in before we stopped and the guys switched off the boat. The boat owner and his friends started to fish and dropped hand held lines down. As the fish here are at the bottom they dropped a100 meter line down. Juan and the two Dutch guys started to swim while I was starting to feel Sea sick. I thought that if I swim as well the feeling will go away. I dived in and it was quit eerie to swim in 100 meter deep water. The last time I had that feeling was at the Great Barrier Reef in Australia. I soon got out and it is quit a job to get back in the boat as the sides are high. I then stated to feel even more sick and later fed the fish on the other side of the boat. I really did not feel well as the water was choppy. I later ask them to take me back and promised to pay again to take the rest out again to see the Fish eagles feeding. Once back the black Rooibos tee sorted me out. The guys in the boat now wanted a ridiculous amount to take them out again. Juan refused and they came back later with a lower price but Juan turned them down again. The 3 of them went instead to play with a dugout canoe and was playing in the warm Malawi water for quite a while. I in turn started to feel better and changed the brake pads on the rear wheel of my bike as it was metal on metal. Fortunately I brought a spare set along. That night Juan made us food and after dinner it was Rooibos tee time again with watching satellites again with our 3 friends.     

Offline schalk vd merwe

« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2012, 04:58:46 pm »
Juan on the boat with our tents behind the timber deck

Offline schalk vd merwe

« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2012, 05:03:14 pm »
Beautiful blue water at Nkhata Bay

Offline schalk vd merwe

« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2012, 05:04:58 pm »
Beautiful blue water at Nkhata Bay

Offline schalk vd merwe

« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2012, 05:07:18 pm »
Our skiper

Offline schalk vd merwe

« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2012, 05:09:00 pm »
The Rasta Crew

Offline schalk vd merwe

« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2012, 05:11:11 pm »
Nkhata Bay at the back. More photos on the next page.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 05:47:33 pm by schalk vd merwe »