Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Africa tour to the equator and back in 40 days  (Read 18252 times)

Offline skydiver

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Free as a bird
Re: Africa tour to the equator and back in 40 days
« Reply #560 on: January 08, 2015, 01:35:35 pm »
Tick Tock, Tick Tock....Mei 2015 is om die draai.
Sterkte met die beplanning.
Yamaha PW80, Honda MT5, Honda XR200, Kawazaki KDX200, Yamaha TTR250, Yamaha XT660R, BMW F800, BMW F650GS

Offline schalk vd merwe

« Reply #561 on: January 11, 2015, 01:55:56 pm »
Hi Schalk
ek is nou deur die eerste 9 bladsye....sal more weer verder lees..
dis n ongelooflike verslag van n Afrika-trip, waarvan die meeste van ons net kan droom !!

Ons het die ontbyt saam met julle  in Groot Brak en die "sundowner" by ons in Reebok terdee geniet...dit was lekker om jou vrou,Lientjie en jou seun Juan te ontmoet....jy is super "gebless" dat jou vrou jou ondersteun op jou bike avonture.....

Jy is defnitief n ware avonturier !! ek kan nie glo ek het iemand ontmoet wat solo om die wereld gaan ry met n motorfiets nie !!! dit inspireer my en almal wat jou laasweek ontmoet het !!

AWESOME !!
Hi Janita Dankie ook vir die lekker kuier en dit was 'n voorreg om jou vriende te ontmoet as ook Kevin Leo en Adam Tas en weer eens dankie vir die kuier, groete
1/The only way to get experience is to get experience-Schalk                
2/Ride Reports>Long Tours>Africa Tour To The Equator And Back In 40 Days
3/A stranger is just a friend you have not met yet
4/Whatever you vividly imagine, ardently desire, sincerely believe in and enthusiastically act upon must come to past-Paul J Mayer
5/Use the rocks in the your way to build stepping stones-Herman Zapp

Offline Louis Photo

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #562 on: January 11, 2015, 02:12:29 pm »
 :thumleft:

Offline schalk vd merwe

« Reply #563 on: February 28, 2015, 09:58:25 pm »
8 weeks to go before I start my solo around the world trip. First part Joburg to Egypt and from there to Italy.
4/Whatever you vividly imagine, ardently desire, sincerely believe in and enthusiastically act upon must come to past-Paul J Mayer

Offline SchalkL

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Si vis pacem, para bellum
« Reply #564 on: March 01, 2015, 11:35:33 am »
8 weeks to go before I start my solo around the world trip. First part Joburg to Egypt and from there to Italy.
This is going to be GREAT!
Schalk please start  a separate thread for you world trip and post the link here: Or how are you going to do  updates while you are travelling, blog, website ?
I would love to see everything you have done do this trip including arrangements before the time, preparing, packing, documentation etc etc
I am planning a similar trip in a few years and can learn a lot from this..........

Lekker ry ou maat, ek hou jy fyn dop  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 11:36:19 am by SchalkL »
Sometimes you don't need a plan, just balls :)
I'd rather ... be riding my motorcycle and thinking about God than sitting ... in Church and thinking about my motorcycle.

Offline schalk vd merwe

« Reply #565 on: March 01, 2015, 02:40:44 pm »
Schalk please start  a separate thread for you world trip and post the link here: Or how are you going to do  updates while you are travelling, blog, website ?
I would love to see everything you have done do this trip including arrangements before the time, preparing, packing, documentation etc etc
I am planning a similar trip in a few years and can learn a lot from this..........

Hi Naamgenoot
Yes I will start a new thread, you must please show me how to put a link in. I will post on this forum as well as on Facebook. I am going to use the same bike that I did the equator trip with and the same equipment. There are not all that much preparation. It is basically just visa's and Carnet de passages for the bike. On the bike there is also not that much preparation. To Egypt it will be             12 500km and by the time I get there it will probably the same distance than what I travelled to the Equator and back. The total around the world trip will be about 90 000 km. I am not sure if I am going to do it in stages. If I do it in stages then the first stage will be up to Italy first stage and stage 2 six months after that. If I do get a sponsor in Europe then I will do the whole trip in one go.

Offline SchalkL

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Si vis pacem, para bellum
« Reply #566 on: March 01, 2015, 04:55:00 pm »

Hi Naamgenoot
Yes I will start a new thread, you must please show me how to put a link in. I will post on this forum as well as on Facebook. I am going to use the same bike that I did the equator trip with and the same equipment. There are not all that much preparation. It is basically just visa's and Carnet de passages for the bike. On the bike there is also not that much preparation. To Egypt it will be             12 500km and by the time I get there it will probably the same distance than what I travelled to the Equator and back. The total around the world trip will be about 90 000 km. I am not sure if I am going to do it in stages. If I do it in stages then the first stage will be up to Italy first stage and stage 2 six months after that. If I do get a sponsor in Europe then I will do the whole trip in one go.
:thumleft: Great, will ride with you on the forum, enjoy!
(Just copy and paste the www adres on you new thread into you post here, highlight it and click on the "world" icon next to the image icon above - Done!)
Sometimes you don't need a plan, just balls :)
I'd rather ... be riding my motorcycle and thinking about God than sitting ... in Church and thinking about my motorcycle.

Offline schalk vd merwe

« Reply #567 on: April 18, 2015, 09:39:34 pm »
With all the xenophobia we gaan aan . Still leaving on 2/05/2015 with maybe a slight alteration.

Offline Gene

• Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #568 on: April 24, 2015, 07:14:05 am »
Voorspoed Schalk en lekker ry ,sal jou thread met belangstelling volg... :thumleft:

Offline schalk vd merwe

« Reply #569 on: August 30, 2016, 10:48:27 am »
Hi Guys just thought I will revive this tread as I had a lot of guys asking me about a route to the Equator and back. This trip will give you a good indication of what to expect in the rest of Africa. If you however want to travel right through Africa read this tread and my other RR "   Living the dream solo around the world trip"

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=172982.0
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 11:31:59 am by Gérrard »

Offline schalk vd merwe

« Reply #570 on: September 10, 2016, 08:41:19 pm »
Hi Guys just thought I will revive this tread as I had a lot of guys asking me about a route to the Equator and back. This trip will give you a good indication of what to expect in the rest of Africa. If you however want to travel right through Africa read this tread and my other RR "   Living the dream solo around the world trip"

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=172982.0
I see quite a few people are reading this tread. Thanks for the support

Offline schalk vd merwe

« Reply #571 on: September 12, 2016, 09:51:02 pm »
Thanks guys, I see you are following both treads

Offline schalk vd merwe

« Reply #572 on: October 04, 2016, 04:58:37 pm »
The bike I did this trip with has turned over 76 000 now. 150 000km to go on my around the world trip.

Offline Baches

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #573 on: October 17, 2016, 05:26:02 pm »
Wow Schalk wat 'n fantastiese trip report om te lees. Jy doen wat baie wat van ons net droom om eendag te doen. Veilige reis !!
Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere
KTM 530 XCW
KDX 200
IT 200
XR650L

Offline schalk vd merwe

« Reply #574 on: October 17, 2016, 05:32:12 pm »
Wow Schalk wat 'n fantastiese trip report om te lees. Jy doen wat baie wat van ons net droom om eendag te doen. Veilige reis !!
Hi Baches bring daai eendag 'n bietjie vorentoe. Groete

Offline V-twin

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Live to ride and ride to live
Re: Re: Africa tour to the equator and back in 40 days
« Reply #575 on: October 18, 2016, 07:30:44 pm »
More mini tornado's
Thats not mini tornados..you wont believe it but its actually millions and billions of flies. Google it.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Offline schalk vd merwe

Re: Re: Africa tour to the equator and back in 40 days
« Reply #576 on: October 18, 2016, 09:58:00 pm »
More mini tornado's
Thats not mini tornados..you wont believe it but its actually millions and billions of flies. Google it.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Hi V-twin I think you could be right. I also experienced thousands of green Midges last year on the south side of Lake Malawi at sun set when I traveled to Egypt. They completely clogged up my visor then.

Offline schalk vd merwe

« Reply #577 on: August 14, 2017, 04:36:59 pm »
As I see some guys want to travel to Rwanda and back I thought I will revive this thread 

Offline schalk vd merwe

« Reply #578 on: February 09, 2019, 06:00:57 pm »
I see some guys want to travel to Malawi so I thought I would revive this RR as it would help them.