A big Thank You to ATGATT!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dieterj

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
I had agreed to meet HHHusky at the garage for a ride yesterday morning.  On the route to the garage (note within 3km of home), there are three large traffic circles, or roundabouts as the Auntie on the GPS likes to call them.  As I was cruising around the third one, at about 60-70km/h which is not extreme for these, I suddenly found myself sliding along the road behind the trusty bike, which was showering me with sparks.  :eek: :eek: :eek:  The first thought that jumped into my head was "Gee I hope this isn't going to be expensive!"

The bike came to a standstill - so did I.  1st thought - switch off bike.  Got there and did that.  Then I got to inspecting the damage.

The bike basically pivoted on the crashbar, handguard and footpeg.  The pictures below show the crash vs non-crash bars.  Now I know where the sparks came from!

Crash009.jpg

Crash023.jpg

The rider - the MX boots were a bit scuffed, the kneeguard was a bit scuffed, after making a hole in an old pair of jeans, the elbow on my jacket was a bit scuffed, although I only noticed that this afternoon at work.  Other than that, not a scratch, not a bruise, not a latent pain, no whiplash - nothing!!  I was further blessed that at that time of the morning there was no traffic, so the whole incident was not life threatening at all.

I got on the bike, met HHHusky, and we went for an enjoyable ride! 8)

In case you ever get round to thinking whether all this kit is worth it, don't even entertain the thought!!

Jacket, MX Boots, Knee guards, gloves - R3000 (in my case)
Crash bars to protect the cylinder heads - R3800
Getting up with a smile on my face - priceless!!
Sliding along wondering whether this was going to be expensive - huh?? ???