Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Transporting bike from Cape Town to Kenya?  (Read 795 times)

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Transporting bike from Cape Town to Kenya?
« on: December 21, 2011, 07:42:01 am »
I know Transporter and Manic have businesses that involve transport........ however I'm looking for info as to which would be the best and most cost effective way to get a GSA from Cape Town to Nairobi, Kenya....?

............. and yep - riding it would be a great idea.... just not practical!

:biggrin:

seriously ... anyone that can offer advice would be appreciated...   :thumleft:
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ()

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
Re: Transporting bike from Cape Town to Kenya?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 07:53:51 am »
In a container by road or sea would be best option.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline laurika

• hoessenaam van hydrabad...
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • helmet hair is very cool....everyone says so
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 09:22:08 am »
+1 i would take it by road. very long process to clear freight at mombassa...so ive heard.

"There is no happiness for him who does not travel...Therefore, wander... The fortune of him who is sitting sits, it rises when he rises, it sleeps when he sleeps, it moves when he moves... Therefore, wander!"...The Rig Veda - 800 - 600 BC..

bmw F650GS/ XT 660 R

Offline Hope

• Race Dog
  • HOPE is what you got left after every thing failed
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 09:38:07 am »
+1 i would take it by road. very long process to clear freight at mombassa...so ive heard.

Maak net seker op watter tipe vragmotor hy gelaai word. Boere het eendag aan my genoem dat hy nie meer vervoer van bikes op sekere tipe vragmotors van hom doen nie.  Dit het te doen met sekere tipe vragmotors se veerstelsel is te hard. As die bike anderkant uit kom is hy flenters geskud.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 09:57:05 am by Hope »
When the world says, "Give up", Hope whispers."Try it one more time".
It is nothing to fall, as long as you stand up one more time than you fall.
People that judge don't matter. People that matter don't judge.
I have not failed 1000 times, I found 1000 ways that wont work.
HOPE is what you've got left when nothing else is working out right.

Offline Goose

• Shop Mods
  • Grey hound
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 10:44:05 am »

Maak net seker op watter tipe vragmotor hy gelaai word. Boere het eendag aan my genoem dat hy nie meer vervoer van bikes op sekere tipe vragmotors van hom doen nie.  Dit het te doen met sekere tipe vragmotors se veerstelsel is te hard. As die bike anderkant uit kom is hy flenters geskud.

Dankie man..........  ek wil probeer uitvind wat dit my maat in Kaapstad sal kos om sy GSA soontoe te stuur. Ek gaan heel-waarskynlik myne Nairobi toe vlieg en van daar af ry Kaapstad toe..... en hy wil dalk graag saamry....

thanks vir die info....  ek sal selfs voorstel dat hy die bike in 'n BMW krat sit (daar's mos heelwat spares by Auto Atlantic) en so aanstuur...dalk selfs spoor of vlieg?  ???
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ()

Offline laurika

• hoessenaam van hydrabad...
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • helmet hair is very cool....everyone says so
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 10:46:20 am »

Dankie man..........  ek wil probeer uitvind wat dit my maat in Kaapstad sal kos om sy GSA soontoe te stuur. Ek gaan heel-waarskynlik myne Nairobi toe vlieg en van daar af ry Kaapstad toe..... en hy wil dalk graag saamry....

thanks vir die info....  ek sal selfs voorstel dat hy die bike in 'n BMW krat sit (daar's mos heelwat spares by Auto Atlantic) en so aanstuur...dalk selfs spoor of vlieg?  ???
ek het a ou nou die dag in Morengoro ontmoet in tanzanie...wat in duitsland bly, en elke vakansie vlieg hy sy bmw na afrika land toe...en ry a stukkie, en dan vlieg hy dit terug. vir my na n wonderlike plan geklink...ek het sy bike afgeneem,...dit was vrot van houding.... :thumleft:

"There is no happiness for him who does not travel...Therefore, wander... The fortune of him who is sitting sits, it rises when he rises, it sleeps when he sleeps, it moves when he moves... Therefore, wander!"...The Rig Veda - 800 - 600 BC..

bmw F650GS/ XT 660 R

Offline charlw

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory.
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 06:34:50 pm »
Swop your bike with Michnus. His bike is up there somewhere.
The traveler sees what he sees.  The tourist sees what he has come to see.  ~G.K. Chesterton

Online Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 09:03:41 pm »
Would it not be better to ship the bike to Dar and ride from Dar ??
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Goose

• Shop Mods
  • Grey hound
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2011, 09:18:23 pm »
Would it not be better to ship the bike to Dar and ride from Dar ??

Fuzzy - for me to fly my bike from the UK - Nairobi seems cheapest and best option................  my mate has to get his GSA from Cape Town to Kenya to meet up with me.... so basically the best, safest & cheapest option for him is what's needed...?

Online Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Grey hound
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2011, 10:01:36 pm »
yeah, which is why I recommended shipping from CT to dar.. the ride to Nairobi from Dar is not that heactic , he can take tar the whole way and it is only about 1000km, there are ships leaving from CT to Dar all the time, it takes 3 weeks but it is cheap as long as I know, a mate of mine was investigating it but gave up eventually when he decided to ride but  of his mates carried on and shipped their bikes to Dar.

You can ship to Mombasa, it will knock 500km off the road trip to get to you in Nairobi but what I hear about Mombasa I would rather take my chances and go through Dar. When I was looking into it I could'nt even find a carrier to take my bike to Mombasa, dunno, maybe I was just looking in the wrong place. At one point i did contact an overland company to possibly take the bike up on trailer but they could not guarantee the bike's saftey.

If you want to go direct CT to Nairobi by road I will be keen to tag and see what you come up with as an option that would not take weeks.

Please keep us posted on what you find out as a solution.

Muz
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Goose

• Shop Mods
  • Grey hound
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2011, 11:52:55 am »
Muz - you've opened a can of worms......... that looks like a definite option.............. hell - maybe we can get a couple of other Dawgs to join.... make it a group effort   :mwink:

will let you know,...

Online Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Grey hound
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 10:12:46 pm »
I will be keen to see what you come up with, I wanted to do a trip around lake Victoria ( bucket list ) starting in Kenya or from Dar.

Online Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Grey hound
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 11:32:32 pm »
Any updates on the progress made...

Offline Goose

• Shop Mods
  • Grey hound
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 11:57:13 pm »
Any updates on the progress made...

Well buddy - we'll be in Cape Town end of next week. I have all my documents and papers for the GSA... so I'm off to Customs to see what I need to pay to get the bike into SA. Depending on the cost - we'll make a decision whether to bring to SA... or to sell here and buy replacement over there.

So in about 2 weeks time I'll have a better idea...