Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Yamaha Tenere 660 advise please............  (Read 1321 times)

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Yamaha Tenere 660 advise please............
« on: December 31, 2011, 12:46:21 pm »
Can any of the WD's please advise as to what a good, low mileage XT660 Tenere ( under 20000km's) would cost in SA..........??

I'm probably looking at buying 2 or 3 of them for my 2 sons and want to see whether it's going to be viable to buy in SA or whether I should buy here in the UK and put in the container with all our goods when we come back to SA.
There's no import duty on bikes - only 7% Ad Valorum duty + VAT on the value of what I paid for the bikes.

Here's 3 examples - all between 6 & 16,000 miles on the clock............. and I'd get them for around R 37k each......   ???
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ()

Offline Hinksding

• is beslaan met ligte hoefysters
  • Bike: Honda XR125L
  • Die aai van Loeriesbaai
Re: Yamaha Tenere 660 advise please............
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 01:32:12 pm »
Vir DIE prys kan die Gans vir my asb ook enetjie saambring? 

Klink nie sleg nie, 'n mens moet seker ook die shipping in ag neem, maar jou container het seker in elk geval plek, waarop sou die tax en shipping bv uitwerk op 'n bike van R37k?
Eet vleis! 'n 1 000 000 jakkalse kan nie verkeerd wees nie.

Offline Goose

• Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 01:42:02 pm »
Vir DIE prys kan die Gans vir my asb ook enetjie saambring? 

Klink nie sleg nie, 'n mens moet seker ook die shipping in ag neem, maar jou container het seker in elk geval plek, waarop sou die tax en shipping bv uitwerk op 'n bike van R37k?

Ek was 1400 pond ge-quote vir 20ft container (6m) vanaf UK na Kaapstad.  As ek my GSA alleen stuur kos dit 700 pond including clearing in SA.  Ons speel nou met idee's want dalk kan ons genoeg mense kry om container te deel en 'n hele paar fietse + ekstra's in te voer...?

Of - kry 'n groep manne - koop 'n paar van die Tenere's hier.. en ry die flippen goed terug   :mwink: :mwink:
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ()

Offline billy-joe

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 07:44:16 am »
i might be keen to bring some dirt bike spares in your container.  perhaps a rolling chassis.  how much you charge me?
-There is no road to happiness...Happiness is the road.
-One cannot drink beer all day long if you do not start early in the morning says Welsh!!

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 08:47:01 am »
You will NEVER get a decent low mileage Tenere in SA for under R40K......even a good XT 660 R is difficult to find at that price here.
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Online Oshkosh

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 08:57:22 am »
There is one in the for sale section going for R65k 2009 model
Link http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=86040.0
Goose if you can top that I would also be interested  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 09:05:56 am by Oshkosh »
2017 R1200RS SPORT F#ck Me what an Animal!
2010 R1200GS ADV "The Comfy Chair with GRUNT"(SOLD)
2012 R1200RT "The Wife's Little Tourer"

Offline Alan

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 10:59:22 am »
Hi Goose,

what Adventurer said. This range is still pretty new for us here in SA.. Not 100% sure when but I think they only got to SA in 2009, so, their 2nd hand prices if you CAN find one is still well over 60K. Those you're seeing over there must be pre-2009, they were available in the UK and Europe before we got them, and so the much lower prices, and relatively high mileages.

Good luck.  :thumleft:

And Happy New year..

regards

Al

Offline Skipskop

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • ;-)
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 11:09:30 am »
Oooo ,I like the desert colour one---and the red----- and the white  :drif:
" Of all the things I lost in life, what I miss the most, is my mind"
DRZ 400 E ,1200GS WR450- KLR650 Side-car
Yamaha CV80 Beluga
"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing"
"Old age is not for the inexperienced" "If you haven't grown up by age 50 , you don`t have to"

Offline Goose

• Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 11:26:43 am »

Saw that one mate............  the nice thing in the UK is that the bikes have to be MOT'd (roadworthied) every year after the first 3 years. In general vehicles are in exceptionally good condition and it's law to MOT and Insure the vehicle, hence the conditions.
I went to look at an old XT 600e a while back - the bloke was selling it on eBay for under 600 pounds.......... man the bike was spotless and in really good condition- and in SA the same quality bike would knock you back at least R25k.

I think that there's an opportunity here to do a group buy/shipping etc.  However I'm visiting SA for 2 months in Feb and will visit our friends down at Customs for some info and advice. If I can get viable answers from them, then we can set something up!

We've been living with the mother-in-law here so no space - but we're looking at moving and finding a place with large garaging or storage in the country-side. This would allow us to buy quite a few bikes and spares - store, service, repair, check them over before crating and then loading onto a container. We could always then look at the amount of spares & bikes in the container and one of our very clever WD mates can do a bit of calculations for us as an independant to ensure that the cost of the shipping, insurance etc are equally divided between those that have stock.

The options would really be limitless......... not just for these Teneres - but other bikes and spares as well....we'd also need someone in Cape Town to offer us storage space for the container when it arrives - until it's all unloaded and goods distributed!

Lots of work to do........ but definitely exciting!

Online Oshkosh

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 01:29:26 pm »

Saw that one mate............  the nice thing in the UK is that the bikes have to be MOT'd (roadworthied) every year after the first 3 years. In general vehicles are in exceptionally good condition and it's law to MOT and Insure the vehicle, hence the conditions.
I went to look at an old XT 600e a while back - the bloke was selling it on eBay for under 600 pounds.......... man the bike was spotless and in really good condition- and in SA the same quality bike would knock you back at least R25k.

I think that there's an opportunity here to do a group buy/shipping etc.  However I'm visiting SA for 2 months in Feb and will visit our friends down at Customs for some info and advice. If I can get viable answers from them, then we can set something up!

We've been living with the mother-in-law here so no space - but we're looking at moving and finding a place with large garaging or storage in the country-side. This would allow us to buy quite a few bikes and spares - store, service, repair, check them over before crating and then loading onto a container. We could always then look at the amount of spares & bikes in the container and one of our very clever WD mates can do a bit of calculations for us as an independant to ensure that the cost of the shipping, insurance etc are equally divided between those that have stock.

The options would really be limitless......... not just for these Teneres - but other bikes and spares as well....we'd also need someone in Cape Town to offer us storage space for the container when it arrives - until it's all unloaded and goods distributed!

Lots of work to do........ but definitely exciting!

:thumleft:
2017 R1200RS SPORT F#ck Me what an Animal!
2010 R1200GS ADV "The Comfy Chair with GRUNT"(SOLD)
2012 R1200RT "The Wife's Little Tourer"

Offline KTM BIGGER

• SAB Goblin 700
    • http://www.goblinhobbies.co.za/
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 02:57:43 pm »
what are you moving back again to SA?

Offline bornanbredascot

• Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 03:10:02 pm »
G'day peeps, I used to ride a 600e in England, a 2003 model and regretted not bringing it back, in 2008 when I came back, I found one the other day by pure chance in Meyerton going for 35k, and almost died... way overpriced and it was a little bit neglected.  Bring the bikes back to SA, the bikes here are more expensive and harder to get hold of... I have included a pic of my old bike, buy the way that price you are paying for your container is cheap, I brought a 12 footer back with me and it cost in total 4000 pounds, before the costs on this side. I got nailed again here and the twats in UK did not warn me about the extra charges.
"Do not blame God for having created the tiger, but thank him for not having given him wings."

Offline Goose

• Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 03:33:43 pm »

always boet........... you try living wif the mother-in-law for 7 months..............  even the piles have dried up!  :peepwall:

Offline KTM BIGGER

• SAB Goblin 700
    • http://www.goblinhobbies.co.za/
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 03:55:47 pm »

always boet........... you try living wif the mother-in-law for 7 months..............  even the piles have dried up!  :peepwall:

That is good news Goose....will be good to see you again.....you could have kept the 1200 BMW you had....

Offline KtmMick

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 04:09:37 pm »
If you are going to make a business of it you will have to pay duty on it, that I am quite sure. You can bring your own stuff back for sure.

Might be better bringing them back as "SPARES" and you are right they are better maintained there due to the annual roadworthy as you are licensed by the government to carry out the test and there is no way to fiddle it as the test centres are computer linked.

There is money to be made but your sums have to be right, there is lots of paperwork for definite.

Good luck! O0

Offline Goose

• Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2012, 04:12:43 pm »

That is good news Goose....will be good to see you again.....you could have kept the 1200 BMW you had....

Ja I know......... but I sold my 2yr old GSA in SA and used the funds that I got for it to buy a brand new DOHC GSA here and still had R18k left in my pocket!  :mwink:

Offline Plaashaas

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2012, 05:08:16 pm »
Sounds f@rk!ng cheap to me

Even under 60 000 bucks
Current rides: F800GS x 2

Id rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle.

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2012, 08:33:54 pm »
the Tenere is cheapest in UK than anywhere else in the world for some or other reason .....prior to buying mine i did a lot of research into the pricing in europe to try an get a grey one in.....

anyway ,ended up buying official ...

but seeing as it is cheaper in the uk a good case can be made for buying 2nd hand ones an bringing em back with you ....... i reckon the speedo's can even be changed to km/h .. there must be a mod somewhere but check it out
Africa ain't for sissies hey.

Offline Goose

• Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2012, 09:20:24 pm »
the Tenere is cheapest in UK than anywhere else in the world for some or other reason .....prior to buying mine i did a lot of research into the pricing in europe to try an get a grey one in.....

anyway ,ended up buying official ...

but seeing as it is cheaper in the uk a good case can be made for buying 2nd hand ones an bringing em back with you ....... i reckon the speedo's can even be changed to km/h .. there must be a mod somewhere but check it out

the speedo's can indeed be set to kph.... no prob there...

Offline bornanbredascot

• Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2012, 06:28:11 am »
My 600 e was from Holland, it was known as a parallel import as apposed to grey because the something to do with the way the lights lens were made or some crap, anyhow, I needed to get a modification that was easy to come buy to change from km's to miles, so my advance is, buy in Holland, it is set up for SA, or at least look into it.
"Do not blame God for having created the tiger, but thank him for not having given him wings."