Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Merged DR Big parts thread  (Read 1511 times)

Offline Swanniebraai

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • BLESSED!!
    • SwannieBraai WORSBRAAI
Merged DR Big parts thread
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2012, 11:26:18 am »
I can get a 1989 DR750 Big  but it needs a starter, well it's own one is caput, says the owner, perhaps it can be rewired or what, I will only know once I see the bike tomorrow.

Just incase, does any of you manne know where to get on, if that one is not fixable? ???

Also, how available are engine and other spares, I dont want to go the same route as with the XLV!!  >:D

Please advise, friends! Thx!  :thumleft:
May the WORS be WITH you!

Offline DR BIG 750

Re: DR750 - Starter & advice needed please.
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2012, 12:36:39 pm »
I think that is the DR I saw as well CT somewhere white & blue, I think 88 model drum on back, spares are not to bad to source ( I read your Honda build no where near the kak you had there) send me pm if you need help i have pulled mine apart a few times, but i am sure the sm can be fixed unless not physically broken in pieces. good luck lets see it.
twin shox, twin drum air cooled

Offline Swanniebraai

• Forum Whore
  • BLESSED!!
    • SwannieBraai WORSBRAAI
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2012, 12:42:57 pm »
Will do thx BIG!
Will see tom how it looks.  :mwink:

Offline DR BIG 750

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2012, 04:48:12 pm »
let me know i saw it for sale seems like a deal check if it is the 88 or 89 only change is the back brake

Offline Swanniebraai

• Forum Whore
  • BLESSED!!
    • SwannieBraai WORSBRAAI
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2012, 04:58:54 pm »
let me know i saw it for sale seems like a deal check if it is the 88 or 89 only change is the back brake

Give me your cellnr, so I can call you tomorrow when I am with it, for some pointers and advice.  :thumleft:

Offline DR BIG 750

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2012, 06:44:55 pm »
pm sent

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2012, 08:45:31 am »
Starter motor was a well known issue on the 750's fixed on the 800's

Means unlikely that you find a second hand one.

Find out if it's only the collector plates & brushes that burn. If it's that and if it only burned out once or twice the rotor armature should not be beyond repair.

If the armature is thrashed :-\ RRRRR
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline DR BIG 750

Merged DR Big parts thread
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2013, 08:32:03 am »
taking a flyer but wtf, I am looking for a clutch basket cover(pressure disk) for my DR 750. the pressure bearing in there started breaking up and has buggered up the face, I am worried if I machine it and space it up might be bit thin. I will post a pic of part later.  ??? any old scrapper DR around
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 12:56:03 pm by lecap »

Offline IanF

88 DR750 parts and info wanted
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2013, 11:42:10 am »
Just got back from my Lesotho trip so I've got a little bit of time to get the DR BIG rideable before I embark on a full scale stripdown and rebuild hopefully next month.

I stripped the front brake master cylinder and callipers and today I'm going to see if I can get some new seals for them as well as a new disc and pads. Also need to get a few spokes for the rear wheel. And new wheel bearings front and rear. Anybody have any advice or comments? The one front wheel bearing seems to be a problem. It's a 15x32x16. I'm thinking of running a pair of 15x32x8's if I don't come right.

Here is also a list of some parts I'm trying to find. I know some of them are harder to find than a unicorn but here goes:

Screen  (Mine has had some repairs on it. Not unusable but if someone has a better one lying around  :thumleft:)
Tail light lens  (I think the pre 95 DR650 uses the same or similar lens?)
Rear rack   (Or if someone can measure and send me the width of the OE rack I'll probably end up having to make one.)
decomp lever
Toolbox cover

Also if someone can send me a close up of the Desert Express logo on the front mudguard, that will be great.

Thanks also to Herms who already helped me with a speedo cable and clock surround.

I had one short ride on this bike and really loved it. Looking forward to getting it sorted properly.

Cheers
Ian

« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 12:30:48 pm by IanF »

Offline IanF

Re: 88 DR750 parts and info wanted
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2013, 07:42:15 pm »
First hurdle. After hours wading through piles of old spokes I gave up. Couldn't find any that matched. Anybody have any old ones lying around?

Also that 15x32x16 bearing is definitely agents only. Something like R700. If they can get. Easy decision. I'm going to run two 15x32x8's side by side and see what happens.

Ian