Namibia - Ruacana to Epupa Falls via Damaraland and Kunene - My first RR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damaraland

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Got so much pleasure from reading RR's that I thought I'd give it a bash myself!

Some background

Myself and my cousins used to ride motorcycles in our younger days.  Then work and life happened somewhere in between - we sold off our bikes and riding became a distant dream...it was always just too easy to have an excuse to not buy a bike.  Until late September this year, when one evening, I heard a couple of hoots outside my door.  Walked out and there was Freddie on a brand-new Tenere 660, with a smile broader than his helmet.  Before I knew it I was on it ripping it up and down the street, cackling like a maniac.

That was it - a decade of indecision fell away and I realised I had to get a bike.  I sommer wanted to buy a Tenere there and then, but then a mate of mine told me about his 2007 F650GS with 5000 kays on the clock that he wanted to sell to fund his upgrade to a R1200GS.  The scotsman in me liked the deal and like that I had a bike and less money than before...but so what...I was happy again.  Seriously, how do I describe the feeling when you walk into your garage and just get that smell of bike?  Well done boet, you got a bike.

Shortly thereafter I discovered Wild Dogs, advrider and f650.com.  Awesomeness...I was now a armchair expert.  Time to put theory into practice.  I started educating myself, did oil, coolant and filter changes.  Practiced changing tires and tubes.  Got some tools.  Discovered, as a person working in IT, I how much fun dirty fingernails and smelling of grease could be.  Bonus points that the fiancee really digs the whole grease-monkey look:)

In the meantime, Freddie's bro Ryno got himself a new Tenere as well.  The time was right to start planning our first big adventure.  I wanted to do a rustige jaunt through Damaraland, thankfully the two brothers outvoted me.  We would be going to Ruacana and Epupa falls via Damaraland and Kunene.  Schedules were drawn up, bookings were made, spares were bought and we all started to count the slaapies.

Day 1 - 16 December (429km - Salt & Gravel)

Swakop - Henties: 72km
Henties - Uis: 124km
Uis - Khorixas: 125km
Khorixas - Kamanjab: 108km

Booking: Kamanjab Rest Camp

Day1Route.jpg

Before we knew it the day was upon us.  The two cuzzies came through from Walvis Bay, we had coffee, and then we were on our way.  Felt weird.  Fuckit there's no worries we're on our way!  We hit the salt road to Henties Bay.  Solidly unspectacular piece of road, but a nice one to get the eye in, so to speak.  We had a coffee and a jaffel at Eagle service station in Henties, now the serious business starts with the gravel road to Uis.  Road was in fairly good nick and we comfortably maintained speeds of 100 - 120km/h.

HPIM0385.jpg

This was taken about 30km before Uis, with the Brandberg in the background.  And if I ever hear another one you fancy Souff Effricans referring to it as the fire mountain I will kick you in the goons:)  We got to Uis, bikes had a sip at the local Engen and we had one across the street at the Old Prospectors Pub.

HPIM0391.jpg

This was the last bit of cool we would had, as we now hit the gravel road to Khorixas in what was about 42degrees.  Nothing quite like the summer sun in Damaraland.  We had one or two moments due to the Roadworks leaving big ruts in the road, but no offs.  Arrived safely in Xhorixas, topped up the tanks and then it was time for the final push to Kamanjab.  Once again a fairly unspectacular piece of gravel road, although 5km's before the campsite Freddie got a rear flat.  Got that sorted and picked up another spare heavy-duty michelin tube from Lars Falkenberg, who runs Falkenberg garage and is a keen biker himself.

HPIM0392.jpg

Kamanjab rest camp is a nice little place, with a pool, flush toilets, warm water, showers and a very well appointed bar.  Throw in an extra N$50 and they'll even give you breakfast.

IMG_0074.jpg

With that it was time to hit the sack - next day would see us all the way up to Ruacana.