Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Some oldies.  (Read 12946 times)

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
Re: Some oldies.
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2012, 07:48:37 pm »
Easter 2000 is getting closer and I ask my boss again for a few days exstra leave after Easter.
I wanted to do the Desert Run again.
"Ja gaan tog maar..........bloei jou aambeie nog nie van al die ryery!!!?"
I get a call from Blain Carstens from Bloubergstrand. He wants to ride up with me to Kuruman.
What you ride I ask? BMW 1100 GS. I only ride 110km/h you will get bored. No he rides no
more than that on dirt says he. We will meet in Bitterfontein and ride through the Boesmanland.

Just outside Kliprand. Blain Carstens.

In Pofadder I told Blain he must go. He will go crazy doing my speed. He leaves me and rides to Upington
had a steak in the Spur and were in Kuruman before the sun was down that evening!!!! I later heard from
a friend that he is a bit of a nutter on two wheels on tar. I slept in Upington with friends.

Arriveing at Red Sands lodge outside Kuruman.

This was the start just outside Hotazel on the way to Van Zylsrus.

I was very lucky on this trip. I met my rideingbuddy on the very first day. Louis from Kathu.
Salt of the earth and very good company. He was on a Honda XL 500 R.

We did something wrong the previous year at the lodge closeby so we had to sleep in the veld. :mwink:
Toilets and showers were quickly build just for the Desert Run. Note the Isuzu bakkie and the red and white
Super Tenere 750. The Sundayevening before the Desert Run Hannes the owner of both phones me from
Stellenbosch wanting to know if I know of someone who will drive the bakkie up and bring it back as he will
be staying with his parents for a week after the Run. He will pay all the fuel. I say I know just the man. My
friend Gert that was diveing with me who looks over the door on pic. He ended up doing another two
Desert Runs with Hannes as backup driver!!!

Hakskeenpan.

Close to Rietfontein. The big guy on the right in pic was on a brandnew Varadero.
Fell later on the C28 to Swakop in a washaway and broke his shoulder. :biggrin:

The birdnests are massive in Namibia.

It was only our second day together but it felt as if Louis and I have known each other for years.
I was haveing a great time. :thumleft:
Namibia had good rains and it was green everywhere.

As the year before all the riders that were rideing all the way camped behind the hotel in KoŽs.
And yes Kobus Harmse is here again with his blue Tenere fixed. There were 4 engineers in the group.
We could build roads, design bridges and make fuel with their job descriptions. :deal:

From KoŽs we kept on dirt passed Stampriet all the way to Rehoboth. Between the two is Ullenhurst. A farm
with a shop and fuel. The dogs loved the attention.

When we pulled away Matt said we should not wait for him. He will catch up as he needs to go to the toilet(veldtie)
So we ride on and about 60 kilos further Louis and I stop for a smoke. No Matt which is weird cause he rides
his XR 600 hard and fast. We wait 15 min and I turn my bike around. We see some dust in the distance.
Finally he arrives. Everything is scew on the bike. Frontcaliper off and tied up with wire. He is blood all over.
After haveing his veldtie he zipped off the sleaves of his jacket as it was hot. At  140km/h a Springbokram ran
out of the bushes and took his frontwheel out. Matt went down hard. Very hard. Nothing broken but two very
deep cuts in his forearm. He rode to Rehoboth with us where the medics looked at him and we loaded his bike on a trailer
where it stayed for the trip. He had to have in and outside stiches in a Windhoek hospital.
He joined Gert in the bakkie for the rest of the trip. :biggrin:

In Windhoek both Louis and I saw our sprockets and chains will not last the trip. The only bikeshop I new
then were BMW. We stop and Dieter said no problem I will order from Honda and Yamaha and they will
bring it here. Same price. He gave us all the tools we needed and half an hour later we had our parts. Dieter just watched
us while we changed everything and gave advice where needed. Clever man Dieter. :deal: :thumleft:
We had the Khomas Hochland road to ourselves as everyone(750 of them!!!!) were infront of us.

The Spookhuis 40km from Windhoek.

As Namibia had good rains there were lots of washaways. On the flat sections towards Swakop they
claimed two broken shoulders and a dead Varadero and 1100 GS.

The granite hills close to the C32 turnoff.

We had out first flat of the trip. Easy job when you have lots of time, four hands and two mouths to talk nonsense
while doing it!! :thumleft:

I will scan some more.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 07:09:24 pm by chrisL »
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline oo7

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2012, 07:52:04 pm »
Thanks Chris - ek hoop daar is nog baie foudies en stories waar hierdie vandaan kom. Kan die publiek op hakskeenpan ry?

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2012, 08:49:28 pm »
Thanks Chris - ek hoop daar is nog baie foudies en stories waar hierdie vandaan kom. Kan die publiek op hakskeenpan ry?

Hulle kan seker. Was nie toegespan toe ek laas daar was.
Rickus is jou man om te vra. :deal:
info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Lem

« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2012, 10:29:59 pm »
sjoe Chris, lyk my jy en daai XT Tenere het mekaar goed verstaan, jy kan hulle seker aanbeveel vir mense

hoe het jy toe die transition gemaak na n Dakar en toe die 1150 GSA?
Faith is not knowing what the future holds, it's knowing who holds the future

Offline Frannarossi

• Vendor
  • karoorooster@gmail.com
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2012, 10:34:11 pm »
Lekker man!Ek like die ou fotos en stories kwaai.Nou gaan ek lekker slaap en van bike trips droom :thumleft:
If you don't live on the edge,you take up too much space!!!

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2012, 10:42:24 pm »
sjoe Chris, lyk my jy en daai XT Tenere het mekaar goed verstaan, jy kan hulle seker aanbeveel vir mense

hoe het jy toe die transition gemaak na n Dakar en toe die 1150 GSA?
Ek moes iets kry met n happy button Lem.
Die geskopery met die linkerbeen het my begin vang. Amanda het n XT600E gehad op daai stadium
en dit was n oorweging maar ek wou vinniger ry oor lang afstande as 110km/h en dis wat
die Dakar met gemak gedoen het. MAW ek wou waterverkoel enkelsilinder gaan nie weer lugverkoel.
Vandat ek die eerste 1150 GSA gesien het wou ek een hÍ. Mis myne nog steeds! :biggrin:
info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline wimpie

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2012, 07:56:34 am »
Nice report Chris, I like the old photos.
Die honde lek mekaar se wonde

Offline Lem

« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2012, 07:59:11 am »
O jy het daai tyd al geskop met die linkerbeen? ek was net confused met die foto waar jy sit en rook in die spookhuis, kan jy vandag nog so sit?

het jy nog XT trips? of het die Dakar hierna gevolg?

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2012, 08:09:07 am »
O jy het daai tyd al geskop met die linkerbeen? ek was net confused met die foto waar jy sit en rook in die spookhuis, kan jy vandag nog so sit?

Nee die linkerbeen skopery het eers later begin. Ek het die Tenere gery tot in 2004 toe ek die Dakar gekoop het.
Natuurlik kan ek nog so sit (hoe dink jy vang ek n veldtie)? :mwink: maar ek kan nie opstaan uit daai posisie.
Ek soek altyd n lekker stewige bos of paal of draad en dan trek ek my op, of so n lang vrou wat altyd sÍ "jy moet met jou kierie
loop dan sal jy minder val" :deal:
info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Kenisis

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Dubai
« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2012, 08:15:08 am »
Nice Thread Boet!
2012 KTM 990 Adventure
2015 KTM Rally Replica
2016 Husqvarna FE 450
2017 Husqvarna FC 450

Offline Lem

« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2012, 08:54:24 am »

Nee die linkerbeen skopery het eers later begin. Ek het die Tenere gery tot in 2004 toe ek die Dakar gekoop het.
Natuurlik kan ek nog so sit (hoe dink jy vang ek n veldtie)? :mwink: maar ek kan nie opstaan uit daai posisie.
Ek soek altyd n lekker stewige bos of paal of draad en dan trek ek my op, of so n lang vrou wat altyd sÍ "jy moet met jou kierie
loop dan sal jy minder val" :deal:

so daar op die plaas gaan sit jy nog afentoe so, en as jy daai stuk pampoenland so eye level vang, dan weet hys reg vir pluk!!

Offline fat b

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • BMW R 1150 GS ADVENTURE
« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2012, 09:10:28 am »
Chris , hierdie RR is een van die beste op WD , daar is iets baie spesiaals omtrend daai verblykte fotos wat extra ''atmosfeer'' aan jou verhaal gee ! Ek hoop daar is nog veel om te kom !

THE CHALLENGE MAY NOT BE EASY , BUT IT'S NOT IMPOSSIBLE.
SO MANY PLACES, SO LITTLE TIME !

MOSSEL BAY

Offline Jakkals

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • I never get lost, I only discover new roads
« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2012, 01:51:01 pm »
Baie nice Chris, soos daar voorheen genoem is hoop ek ook dat daar nog baie foto's is wat moet kom.

Mens kan darem sien jy het jou geniet en het al baie myle en ondervinding agter die blad.  :thumleft:

Dankie dat jy dit met ons deel.

O'ja amper vergeet ek, jy lyk darem parmantig met daai pyp in die bek. :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 01:53:25 pm by Jakkals »
Remember that hapiness is a way of travel - not a destination.

Offline Kerritz

• KTSSSSK!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • What a SUPER-loss....DAMMIT man!
« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2012, 02:02:38 pm »
Gooi nog......kan nie help om op te merk oor hoe ons aangaan vandag oor verskillende bikes en tegnologie...en hoe julle met daai bikes van julle so lekker en so ver gery het nie. Ek se dit weer....RESPECT!  :thumleft:
Vorige skoeters: XT660E, TL1000R, 2006 R1200GSA, 2010 R1200GSA 30 Years Anniversary, CRF450R, CRF450X, DRZ400SM, 950 Adventure, 990 SuperDuke (ISM) 2012 R1200GS Triple Black, F800GS, Wolskoeter!

Kaapse Jelly Tot!

Offline Jakkals

• Forum Whore
  • I never get lost, I only discover new roads
« Reply #74 on: January 18, 2012, 02:22:30 pm »
Gooi nog......kan nie help om op te merk oor hoe ons aangaan vandag oor verskillende bikes en tegnologie...en hoe julle met daai bikes van julle so lekker en so ver gery het nie. Ek se dit weer....RESPECT!  :thumleft:
+ 100
En daai tyd was roadside asistance nog net 'n Road House,,,,,,,,,

Gooi nog Chris.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 02:24:10 pm by Jakkals »
Remember that hapiness is a way of travel - not a destination.

Offline JMOL

• The Mayor of Mopani
  • East London
« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2012, 09:24:10 pm »
Dit raak net beter en beter.  Kan nie wag vd res nie.

Life is hard - even harder if you are stupid.

Offline Beserker

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Agito ergo sum
« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2012, 07:48:39 am »
Gooie een Chris..hou van die "old school" fotos.

Gelukkig is ek geduldig, sal maar wag vir die res.

My Ride  :ricky:  Angola   Namibia  Northern Cape  Kids

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #77 on: January 19, 2012, 10:35:12 pm »
They've come from far and wide with any kind of tyre you can think of. There were sand scoop,knobblies,
slicks and enduro and all with one purpose........to try and level Dune 7!!!!! :deal:

Ready steady go!!! You can imagine how it sounds when they all first gear up on the runup to the
dune and then they all start gearing down once they start climbing. MAGIC!!! :thumleft:

And then they start climbing. I have no idea how high Dune 7 is but walking it up strait up
is near impossible. We all walked from the side. Longer route but not as steep.  Ive heard from guys
doing army there that running up and down Dune 7 was part of their "opvok" when they did something wrong!! :biggrin:

Nearly at the top for those who do make it. Anything less than a 125 two stroke battles to get up.

And you watch these riders all day long and you realise you do not know how to ride a bike at all!!! :biggrin:
Yes you pop a wheely nearly at the top cause you can!!!

And you put it down just before you run over the "mikendruk" cameraman!! :imaposer:

There sure is a hell of a lot of sand here.

Yes it's not easy picking any bike up on that incline. :biggrin:

You get the idea!!!!?

The star of the day was this man. Gary Peterson brother of Dave.
It was sickening to watch him!! :biggrin: :deal:
This pic was taken after he ramped off the top of the dune down. He rode that WR all day long
without ever putting a foot wrong.

Yes of course those are al dinky toys!!!!!!!! NOT!!

Ma he roosted me now I can't see a damn thing!!! :imaposer:

At the top and then they get stuck!!

They tried their best but after two days of this Dune 7 still looked the same.
As tall as ever. We walked strait down and it was the weirdest feeling walking nearly three
meter steps at a time!!!!

Gerhard's KLE had a slipping clutch before Windhoek. No problem said Kawasaki in Windhoek.
Pay for them and we will order from SA and deliver them in Swakop. And I had the pleasure of fitting
them while scab picking Matt was the technical advisor. :imaposer: He worked himself through varcity  by fixing bikes.

It was our last day in Swakop before we turn for home. Louis doing same maintenace. Note the guy on
the right. Nic from Welkom. Has polio in his leftleg (note builtup boot) He rode his Honda Gold Wing
GL 1500 to Kuruman. Then tar via Upington to Ashkam and dirt all the way to Stampriet in Namibia.
From there to Swakop and back home also on  tar.  Respect Nic!!! :deal: :thumleft:

The last night Louis was up to his "sprankelende self" :imaposer: We had a big braai and the leftovers were
kept for the following day. Padkos!! :drif:

Saying goodbeye is never nice. Hannes,Kameel and Nic turns around here. We go south.

Gert and I have spend many hours underwater diveing for diamonds. We will be friends for live. :deal: :thumleft:

Louis and I doing the "idonotknowwhatsalute" on the way to Solitaire. :imaposer:

The Kuiseb Canyon was high in flood this year. This is of course where Gert did NOT collect our firewood I asked for!! :biggrin:

ATGATT? ??? Yes yes we all wore jeans!!! Problem?? :mwink: No Levi's though. Only for Harley riders I hear!! :mwink:

The guy on the left is Andreas but he later became known as "Andraai-as" as we always waited for him!! :biggrin:
Shortly after this stop he thought is wise to pull in at a lodge and have a beer. He told nobody and we waited
an hour and a half for him at Solitaire!!!!! Yes every trip has an Andraai-as :deal: :biggrin:

We wanted to spend as much time as possible at Sossosvlei. Yes it was the good old days when you could
ride all the way in!! :thumleft:

And if I make the stoep of the Oldagehome one day I can tell everyone I saw water in Sossosvlei
once in my life!! :thumleft:
Apparently it is 96 kilos as the crow flies to the ocean strait west.

Shadouws were getting longer and we still had 60 kilos back to Sesriem. Yes we did the last 20 in the dark.
Sesriem was full and too expencieve anyway. We camped infront of the main gate. We just warmed up
the leftovers of the previous night. It was a good long day. :thumleft:

A few more left.
info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Oupa Foe-rie

• Oom Foe-rie was hacked by a Mod.
« Reply #78 on: January 20, 2012, 08:03:33 am »
"Ive heard from guys doing army there that running up and down Dune 7 was part of their "opvok" when they did something wrong!! "

Ja Chris ................ that was not fun doing it with half webbing and boots and that because of someone who's dog shit the night before in front of the OC's office door ..................  :eek7: Rooikop nearby dune 7 was my home for 12 months ...................  ;)
Yamaha XT1200Z ........... Take your soul everywhere and back

Offline Dirty Boy

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Son, thats not how I showed you......
« Reply #79 on: January 20, 2012, 09:46:58 am »
ChrisL, as I have said before, really enjoying this thread, the old scanned photos help with the mistique.

I have some photos from Dune 7 from back in '84 when I was in the army. There was a MX meeting with a track dug out in the sand and not much else. They were also riding Trikes in those days as Quads wernt really around then.

I would like to share those pics too but want to check if your ok with adding them to your thread, or would you rather I start a new one ?

Keep them coming, I dont have nearly as many as you.