Honey calls it quits....... :(

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
In December I was heading down towards Mosselbay for my December break. Just before Phillipstown I noticed Honey did not accelerate when I twisted the throttle but instead went into a sputtering frantic.

Note: ± 2 Weeks earlier she did the same and when the guys at Bavaria checked her out, a suspect coil was blamed. As it turned out the coil was pulled off the plug and once pushed back she purred like a Lion.

Now en route to the sea she displayed the exact same sympthoms, so as I looked down I noticed the coil was protruding from the end of the head, so logically the coil has somehow pulled off the plug again, so all I had to do was to push it back onto the plug.

I stopped at a garage in Phillipolis and promptly started to remove the protective cover and then proceeded to push the coil back. As I started Honey, she did not sound well. Spluttering and generally not a happy girl. I held the coil top the engine block and it was gooiing a mean spark. I then proceeded to remove the plug  which had a nasty black stripe in it, probably a crack.

A quick call to the guys at Bavaria confirmed that I should swop the two plugs as the lower one was not really working that hard - the primary plug is the one that goes into the top of the cylinder.

Once this was done I fired her up and although she was running, she was not smooth. I decided to ride to Colesburg where my chances of getting a new plug would be much greater.

However ± 40 km's from Colesburg I heard a loud noice and then something that resembles a dumpbell being banged on the inside of a 200 lt drum. As I turned around white smoke was pouring out the exhaust, so much that I could see nothing behind me.

Well to cut a long story short, she was recovered back to home and promptly delivered to Bavaria for an assesment of what went wrong.

Today it was confirmed that she had dropped a valve with subsequent damage to piston, conrod, sleeve, head and whatever else came in the way of those flying pieces of metal.

A rough estimate puts the damage at ± R40k. As this is an '07 model she is no longer covered by warranty  :(

Honey was on the verge of hitting the 175 000 km mark, so she had given me good service. At the moment I am contemplating whether I should upgrade to a new model or fix and ride her for longer.

The guys at Bavaria reckon I should not replace the other piston, but somehow it seems to me that one brand new piston and a fairly used one will not make a good combination? What do you technical guys reckon?

Here's a pic of the head and the piston.  :mwink:

Attachments

• IMG_0497_.jpg
    IMG_0497_.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 695
  • IMG_0498_.jpg
    IMG_0498_.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 694