Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Kings Mountain day course  (Read 1061 times)

Offline >Herman<

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • If not now, when?
Kings Mountain day course
« on: July 19, 2007, 01:20:49 pm »
Ok, let me be first and

:useless:

as I did not have a camera on me.  Ratel has some pics, and hopefully he will post them here.

The day started early for the rest of the group, but I had to sort out work stuff before I could join them, therefore I pitched at 11:45.  Missed some of the theory, the basics of standing and suspension settings, plus the 1st exercise riding the cones.

I fell in and immediately battled.  To ride through cones 3m apart with the correct technique on a KTM that doesn't turn as the 1200 GS... all I can say is BLIKSEM!!! I really sukkeled, but did managed at the end.

Then we went and did tight (yeah baby, toit like a toiger >:D) circles inside cones. And again the bloody KTM beast did not turn!!  :-[  Up steps Stephen, our instructor which rides a 1200 GSA, and said: "Can I try?" Me: "Yes, sure. Just don't drop her" And will you know!!  :-[ The bloody KTM does turn, you just need to lean it over, and I mean waaaaaaaayyyy over, to get it to turn.

Phew!! I'm hungry... time for lunch.  Good food, slow service.  ::)

Back on the bikes, riding around trees, making u-turns between fences, through the cones (I hate cones!!!  :-\) and enter the flat track!!!  :o  10km of turns!! Some corners with sand, some with none. Wow!! I can turn  ^-^

Boy, this riding and goeters makes me thirsty... time for cold drinks.  Then we're off again, to the other side of the tar road. Time for breaking & emergency breaking.  One can see that all of us are getting a bit windgat by now, spinning and sliding all over, with speeds constantly increasing.

After the breaking maneuvers, we did some up & downs and a short trail ride.

This was my 3rd level 1 course. 1st one was last year @ Country Trax, the other one earlier this year @ Kings Mountain and then yesterday.  One can never practise your skills enough, and courses such as this assist in getting rid of bad habits.

Two week's time = LEVEL 2 weekend course, and according to Stephen, it will be fun.

Offline LostDOG

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • It's confirmed - I am too sexy!
Re: Kings Mountain day course
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 01:34:18 pm »
Costs of said course? Contact details?
It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The windnoise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then. Suck it up. -- Scary Gary MC

Offline >Herman<

• If not now, when?
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 01:38:52 pm »
Costs of said course? Contact details?

Day course presented @ Riverside Mixer, Pta @ R650/rider, incl lunch and cold drinks/water.  Weekend courses @ Kings Mountain farm close to Barberton @ R2000/rider (special till end of August), incl all meals, refreshments (water & cold drinks), accommodation, training.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 04:08:17 pm by Ryperd »

Offline Grootseun

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 02:29:35 pm »
nice one Ryperd.. looks like I started a trend with pictureless ride reports...actually it was AMA who started it...

Sounds like fun..

Offline GSing

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Direct Your Adventure
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 03:47:37 pm »
OU Perd, the day course does it run on weekends aswell?

Offline >Herman<

• If not now, when?
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 04:07:32 pm »
OU Perd, the day course does it run on weekends aswell?

Wie's jou OU Perd!!!  ;D ;D

Jip GSing, weekend courses are available.  See my previous post.

Offline Ratel

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Dubai
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 09:23:38 pm »
Apologies for only posting the pics now but what was going to be a day off turned out to be a visit to Capetown and Durban >:(

We all met at the Riverside Mixer early on Wednesday morning for the Kings Mountain "Level 1" course presented by Stephen (assisted by Aldo). Experience in the group varied from lots to almost zilch ;D.

It must be said that the course is very well structured to supply you with all the basics of "off road riding" in only one day and the venue is superb to teach and practice those skills.

The day started with introductions and a discussion on the correct mindset for venturing onto the dirt.

(Simon, Sanrelene and the fearless Frenchman Laurent)

The next step was to practice picking up your bike should it accidentally "slip of the side stand" someday ;D followed by setting up the bike's suspension for best performance in the dirt.

Next up - Acceleration (read : spinning your backwheel, real hooligan stuff >:D) and deceleration :o :o :o and riding around STANDING UP (correct posture etc)

After this we were introduced to a medieval torture device a.k.a. the "KEGEL" Most of the time before lunch was spent on maneuvering between these blerrie things at snails pace - it is all about balancing and shifting your weight around the bike - not as easy as I thought it would be :-[

If at first you don't succeed, try without your bike ;D

Ryperd showing us how it should be done

Would you believe it? A couple of circles and the Orange one needed to be towed out of there by the Official KTM recovery vehicle better known as a GSA >:D >:D

Personal attention on tap:

The last part of the day was spent on maxmimum effort braking, cornering and an outride to put everything you learned into practice

Some last thoughts:

I really enjoyed the course and learnt a lot about myself and my bike. As with everything, practise makes perfect ;) I am looking forward to the weekend in Barberton to take things to the next level. Oh yes, make sure you have the following day off to recover ;D

"Stercus accidit..."

Offline corkscrew

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 09:51:39 pm »
The fearless frenchman... (That's me)

Trust me boet, I scared myself more than once on that course! Nothing like having a
"OH S#*IT THAT WAS CLOSE :o" to slow you down a bit! You realise pretty quickly that you a long way off from doing the Paris-Dakar!

Great fun, excellent instructor and generally worth the bucks.

Offline LostDOG

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • It's confirmed - I am too sexy!
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 06:38:57 am »
Whens the next beginner day course?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 06:40:28 am by LostDOG »
It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The windnoise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then. Suck it up. -- Scary Gary MC

Offline letsgofishing

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 07:17:04 am »

I fell in and immediately battled.  To ride through cones 3m apart with the correct technique on a KTM that doesn't turn as the 1200 GS... all I can say is BLIKSEM!!! I really sukkeled, but did managed at the end.

I agree with leaning the bike over but have you adjusted the steering lock bolts yet?
They're on the back side of the lower triple clamp. Loosen the locknut and turn the bolts in as far as you need to. It really does make a difference.
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 07:21:02 am »
..... looks like I started a trend with pictureless ride reports...actually it was AMA who started it...

Hey GS....nah it wasnt me........I merely questioned piccieless ride reports....Never posted one...me thinks..... ;D
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 07:22:51 am »
I asked the same question, answer, yes, as far as the steering can go without the forks touching the frame.
The KTM can be manouvered, it just needs more lean angle and effort. The KTM also has a different fork rake to the BMW, and I think a slightly longer wheelbase.
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline >Herman<

• If not now, when?
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2007, 08:24:05 am »
I asked the same question, answer, yes, as far as the steering can go without the forks touching the frame.
The KTM can be manouvered, it just needs more lean angle and effort. The KTM also has a different fork rake to the BMW, and I think a slightly longer wheelbase.

Thanks dude.

The next day course will be presented when there are at least 6 participants.  The date will be scheduled to suit everyone.

I'm thinking of organising a ladies only day course (presented by Stephen, not me 8) ).  Who would be interested?