Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in Zambia - Knopkop to Continue  (Read 12436 times)

Offline Minora

• Bike: AJS (all models)
Re: Life in Zambia - Knopkop to Continue
« Reply #140 on: June 03, 2013, 02:07:25 pm »
Dean is scheduled to be in Zambia for another year. He might move to Kitwe in 3 months to work on a brewery or something. He hasn't really met anyone there yet and is a bit stuck for transport on the weekends so he is still feeling a bit homesick. Judging by your pics there is tons to do there so I guess he'll get out and about soon.

Time flies - I was there for a year and at the beginning I though jees how will I survive it. Before I knew it, the time was up and I needed to start packing.

There are tons to do, and talking to other expat one gets to know the area a little and stuff to do.

Kitwe - that is great. I think he will have jol there. Close to the airport, lots of expats and everything is more accessible.

Without transport it will be difficult - then it will be all work and no play. We were lucky and had a company vehicle. 4 Guys shared it but we managed.

Surely WBHO will have a couple of 'site bakkies'?

Ek weet nie wat hier aangaan nie, maar dis 'n moerse sukses!!!

Offline Minora

« Reply #141 on: June 03, 2013, 02:24:24 pm »
Minora, isn't there a huge contingency of Ching Chongs in the copper industry there?

Flying from Hong Kong to JHB I sat next to a guy who was en route to Zambia for his 2nd 18mnth stint...."building houses". I thought to myself...jeezlaaik, where is Africa going that they have to import expertise for mere residential house building....

Lots and lots and lots  :'(

Some of the mines we past is like a small "China-Town" with housing estates inside the mine property  :patch:

Very sad but a reality in Africa

Offline EssBee

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #142 on: June 03, 2013, 04:17:14 pm »
Minora, isn't there a huge contingency of Ching Chongs in the copper industry there?

Flying from Hong Kong to JHB I sat next to a guy who was en route to Zambia for his 2nd 18mnth stint...."building houses". I thought to myself...jeezlaaik, where is Africa going that they have to import expertise for mere residential house building....

Some of the mines we past is like a small "China-Town" with housing estates inside the mine property  :patch:

Ja...sad...but is the underlying message that ethnical africans cannot sort themselves out....rhetorical question, don't even answer....it'd be a hi-jack.

Nice thread, though, thanks for sharing! ;D

Offline Minora

« Reply #143 on: June 05, 2013, 08:54:15 am »

Ja...sad...but is the underlying message that ethnical africans cannot sort themselves out....rhetorical question, don't even answer....it'd be a hi-jack.

Nice thread, though, thanks for sharing! ;D

The Chinese gives Africa some presents and in exchange the receive some mining rights and Citizenship for the workers  :'(

Levy Mwanawasa Stadium is a multi-purpose stadium in Ndola, Zambia. It is used mostly for football matches. The stadium has a capacity of 44,000 people. In 2010, the Chinese government announced that the stadium will be built. [1] The first international game that was played in the stadium was held on 9th June 2012. It was a world cup qualifier between the host nation Zambia and Ghana which had a result of 1-0 in favour of Zambia.
Source: Wikipedia

Offline EssBee

« Reply #144 on: June 05, 2013, 02:54:56 pm »
Smart. Like that structure.

Offline EtienneXplore

• previously KnopKop
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
    • www.etiennexplore.com
« Reply #145 on: October 29, 2014, 06:41:24 pm »
So, today things changed in Zambia BIG TIME, in fact a massive change in AFRICA......

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-29818212

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/zambia/11195196/I-am-Africas-first-white-democratic-leader-says-Zambian-vice-president.html

Zambia's president died today, and the vice president Guy Scott (a whitie) will be acting president for 90 days.

Now, the interesting this is that I rent a house on Guy's property, he is my neighbor and we have a good chat and laugh about stuff every now and then. He even came to check out my bike when I rode it through his garden....  :biggrin:

He is actually a moerse nice dude, and flippen funny to chat to.

So I guess I can now say I am friends with a president of a country......   :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I hope the shit does not hit the fan, with a whitie being in charge, but I doubt it, Zambia is a very peaceful place, and i am sure the 90days will pass without too much hassle.

PS, he cannot be president as the constitution states the president must be 3rd generation Zambian, he is 2nd generation, so after 90days a new president will be elected.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 06:48:12 pm by KnopKop »

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #146 on: October 29, 2014, 06:54:03 pm »
I was working up at Lumwana when Mr Scott came for a visit. I ended up having a short chat with him in the pub afterwards. Nice guy.
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline EtienneXplore

• previously KnopKop
    • www.etiennexplore.com
« Reply #147 on: October 29, 2014, 06:56:15 pm »
I was working up at Lumwana when Mr Scott came for a visit. I ended up having a short chat with him in the pub afterwards. Nice guy.

For sure!! He has a very dry sense of humor, and he is very very sharp....  ;) ;)

Offline EssBee

« Reply #148 on: October 30, 2014, 12:32:44 pm »
It may be interesting how this'll pan out.

Offline IanC

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #149 on: October 30, 2014, 09:32:54 pm »
New constitution says he can be president, just needs to be passed in parliament. Was put in previous constitution by Chiluba to stop KK from standing for election. Politics is weird in Zambia but normally peaceful

Offline EtienneXplore

• previously KnopKop
    • www.etiennexplore.com
« Reply #150 on: November 04, 2014, 10:05:12 am »
We had some riots here in Lusaka last night, youths breaking stuff, setting tires alight at major intersections, all in protest against the white Guy Scott....... I see there was some additional security when I left the house this morning.....

Racism is rife it seems......

>:(

Offline Dorsland

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Opsaal kerels!
    • Patriot Boerbokstoet
Re:
« Reply #151 on: November 04, 2014, 07:52:11 pm »
It's apartheid's fault. Oh wait, they didn't have apartheid.
Geleerdheid in die kop van 'n dwaas is soos 'n lemmetjie in die hand van 'n aap.

CJ Langenhoven

Offline ktmmer

« Reply #152 on: November 04, 2014, 08:03:52 pm »
How do you get citizenship for Zambia?
Loose wimmen tightened here.

Offline IanC

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #153 on: November 04, 2014, 08:09:34 pm »
10 years constant residence, then apply

Offline ktmmer

« Reply #154 on: November 04, 2014, 08:26:41 pm »
10 years constant residence, then apply

And Namibia and Botswana ?
Loose wimmen tightened here.

Offline EtienneXplore

• previously KnopKop
    • www.etiennexplore.com
« Reply #155 on: November 04, 2014, 09:30:31 pm »

I do not have citizenship, I have been working in Zambia for about 18 months now, and I have a working permit for another 18 months or so (up to March 2016)

But is is a bitch to get the working permit, think of Zambia Immigration this way...... South African Home Affairs is like a well run German Factory compared to Zambia Immigration!!

In a word, it is fucked!

:biggrin:

Offline EtienneXplore

• previously KnopKop
    • www.etiennexplore.com
« Reply #156 on: November 23, 2014, 08:46:33 am »

I do not have citizenship, I have been working in Zambia for about 18 months now, and I have a working permit for another 18 months or so (up to March 2016)

But is is a bitch to get the working permit, think of Zambia Immigration this way...... South African Home Affairs is like a well run German Factory compared to Zambia Immigration!!

In a word, it is fucked!

Just to show you the efficiency of Zambian Immigration, I took this pic on Friday when we went there to try and collect a work permit for one of our employees. This is not a store room or archive, the guy took us there and started digging to see if he can find the paper work.... for a current application  ::) ::)

Offline EtienneXplore

• previously KnopKop
    • www.etiennexplore.com
« Reply #157 on: November 23, 2014, 08:48:58 am »
But it is not all bad.....

I took a ride this morning, this is about 20km outside of Lusaka

Online BLK

« Reply #158 on: November 23, 2014, 09:03:55 am »
Interesting thread,thks

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #159 on: November 23, 2014, 09:59:33 am »
 :sip: Looking forward to see more of the Country. On the comment made by Minora about 'probably the best African Country', I would like to see for myself and will visit again but in my experience (we all are different in our views) Uganda was the greatest African Country I have ever worked and spend time. Maybe If i spend more time in Zambia my outlook will change