Leo and Excalibur at Koro Koro in Jan 12

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
I returned from the coast on 30 Dec and as I was only due at the salt mine on 5 Jan, I decided that a quick visit to Koro Koro Bushcamp near Warmbaths would be a brilliant idea. I called my old wingman, Excalibur, and he confirmed that he was sitting at home twiddling his thumbs, BUT had to be back at the office on 3 Jan, so we had to leave on Sunday and return on Monday.
On Sunday morning we met up and proceeded to Harties from where we would follow the canal route and eventually end up in Warmbaths. The entire route is gravel except for ± 8 km’s.

Our early progress was halted when we arrived at the Hennops river. I started to wade the crossing, but sections of the cement had been washed away, and we were in no mood to end up in an unseen hole and possibly drown a bike.

IMG_3976_.jpg

My weapon of choice for the trip now that Honey is ill.

IMG_3978_.jpg

The area has received a lot of rain, so the veld was lush and green – truly a site to behold.

IMG_3980_.jpg

Nelson Mandela square, but not the one in Sandton.
IMG_3981_.jpg

Initially the roads were in an excellent condition, but this was soon to change as we got closer to Warmbaths.

IMG_3984_.jpg

Lovely to travel on these back roads – almost no traffic worth mentioning.

IMG_3987_.jpg

Everything is green and the livestock is nice and fat

IMG_3991_.jpg

A smoke break for my mate to choke those lungs.

IMG_3994_.jpg

Evidence of some serious rain

IMG_3995_.jpg

Warmbaths from a distance

IMG_3997_.jpg

Pick your line carefully

IMG_3998_.jpg

Excalibur made a wrong choice and paid the price. Hell he was covered in mud 

IMG_4000_.jpg

At Koro Koro, the reception was a site to behold. What a magnificent tree. (Apparently the second largest Olienhout tree in SA)

IMG_4001_.jpg

The old girl in need of a serious wash

IMG_4002_.jpg

The campsite was fairly busy, lots of travellers, but not too much.

IMG_4003_.jpg

That night we braaied a skaap rib, drank brandy and rum and eventually went to bed after I had  given Excalibur a lesson in dominoes :D Truth we told – early night he farked me up, but as I got more pissed my intelligence rose , while that Rum sh!t that he drinks had the reverse effect on him.

Sometimes the waterholes covered the entire width of the road

IMG_4004_.jpg

Lovely countryside

IMG_4008_.jpg

It doesn’t come much greener than this
IMG_4010_.jpg

………. Truly an awesome sight

IMG_4011_.jpg

Back at Upperdeck on Monday for breakfast.

IMG_4012_.jpg

Excalibur, thanks for riding along. Sorry I laughed so much when you took a tumble, but it was farking funny when you crawled around that mud pool on all fours.

We must do this again – soon!

If you have a bike capable of doing gravel, get out there and go and view the splendour of nature during this rainy season.