new bike

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volroom

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
Well, relatively new. 93 DR650, grey import. Really good condition especially considering it was in coastal area. Yeah, whar can I say:it's a great bike. What an upgrade - had an XL500R (1982), was just too old. So sold it. With this I'd like to do some Adventure biking with dogs in Gauteng area.

Big thx to Tweets. This guy is amazing and I nominate him for dog of the year award. I was lucky enough to ask if anyone is down at CT at the right time. The bike had to come all the way up here from strand. Initially thought of riding it up myself. Veemax would have sorted out the bike for me for the long haul...had second thoughts. Tweets PM me saying he's down in Somerset west for the weekend, he's got an open bike trailer and wouldn't mind at all bringing the bike up for me. He went to PE so I had to wait couple of weeks, but here it is. Delivered to my front door and the man doesn't want anything for his effort..

I've read before that Tweets helps out where he can, TOP MAN!!

So, I serviced the bike and will ask some questions on this thread. Put in new airfilter, old one was klaar. Next time I'll get some bleddie spons and glue and do it myself: R255 for a piece of spunge with a straight face?! Oh well, oiled it up. Put in new sparkplug (DPR8EA-9) until I discovered this baby was a twin spark! Who would have thought. Changed the oil and oil filter too.

Chain is a bit moeg, got a new DID 525, sprockets looked OK, was thinking of just putting it on, but Veemax gave me some good advice..again..I'll ride it as is for a while longer until tires is klaar, then I'll get some new sprockets as well. He actually helped to ge get the bike, thx mate!

Compared to my old XL - I'm smiling..

I put in 20W50, I guess your going to tell me I was stupid, that OK. Tell me what I should do with the DR. Also, which 50/50 or 60/40 (dirt/tar) tires you recommend. This is a lekker boney and nogaals with a happy button too.

The steering feels a bit awkward (spelling) at low speed..almost unstable, feels like it somma wants to get left or right itself. Difficult to explain.Cheers

Attachments

• IMG-20120106-00480.jpg
    IMG-20120106-00480.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG-20120106-00483.jpg
    IMG-20120106-00483.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG-20120106-00484.jpg
    IMG-20120106-00484.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 113