Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TE 610 Screen  (Read 1023 times)

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
TE 610 Screen
« on: January 08, 2012, 07:42:12 am »
Ok so I wanted a bit of protection on my new 610 without going over the top ... thought I would like a BC Lynx but lots of $$$ to import to this side of the pond and not sure I want the extra weight ... still deciding. So anyway in the meantime a friend of mine gave me a BMW 650 Dakar tinted screen - definately not in mint condition but could be finessed a bit by yours truely  - and I thought I could make it work. Measured up - looked GREAT and the three standard predrilled holes seemed like they could work for the OEM Husky screen. Marked and drilled, created spacers from small rubber bushes (need space between the two screens for laminar flow otherwise will get buffetting), SS bolts and Nylock nuts ... and all on track. Fitted it up and went for test ride. Not stable enough just with the rubbers on the forks... so I created two small aluminium tubular supports from existing pre-tapped holes on the bottom of the steering head to existing locating tabs on the bottom of the OEM screen (at the same time I relocated indicators ... but they may well go entirely for ones integrated into handgurds). At the top I first created a template from cardboard for a alu bracket that would use the existing screen mounting holes and brace the screen to the instrument cluster bracket, then bent and predirilled it. Also drilled it for bolting a RAM GPS ball mount. Rivitted the bracket to the cluster bracket and bolted screen. Works superbly - it just pushes the air to the top of my helmet , looks great IMHO - virtually OEM and I like the shape of the screen with the Dakar lip.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 07:46:03 am by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
Re: TE 610 Screen
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 07:49:19 am »
Very, very nicely done Dom 8)
I got fired from my job last week, just because I asked "Smoking or Non-smoking" apparently it should be Burial or Cremation!

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 08:08:06 am »
Great job!

Love the GPS bracket, fits really neatly.

The nice thing about that lip on the screen is that its less painful when the screen whacks you when riding steep technical terrain  :biggrin:

Now all you need is a decent light.  I bought the new TE250 headlight that almost fits right into the place of the existing headlight (you have to make the hole bigger because the TE250 light protrudes through the plastic screen thingy.  Its a H4 halogen, which allowed me to fit a HID.  There's a thread on it somewhere below.  Alternatively you could get the TE630 headlight.

BTW I had a great ride in the forests above Knysna on the 2nd, did about 300k's even found some narrow single track, but lots of superb forest roads  :ricky:

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 08:11:00 am by alanB »
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 08:50:58 am »
The screen actually looks larger in the photographs and is not that big really, but I know what you mean about the dangers of a screen...broken a few in my time  ::)  The light is pathetic - initially I had thought of using a Baja Design 8" as I did a conversion like this on my HP2 and they are awesome but in reality I will not use this scoot much after dark (hopefully) and will look for something else. The 630 is nice and very similar to the KTM 690 - a friend has done the fairing and tank conversion and may be able to twist his arm for his old one ... colour would need to change of course  :3some: I also picked up some 2nd hand PivotPegs and they are really great. Need to do the peg bolts  :eek7: Did you file down the mating surfaces and replace with HT?

I am pleased you found some good stuf to ride and am sorry we wussed out. Some years back I rode some of those forest tracks and had access to the road that takes one to the Telkom tower on the mountain - awesome views.  :ricky:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 10:04:50 am »
a friend has done the fairing and tank conversion and may be able to twist his arm for his old one ... colour would need to change of course   I also picked up some 2nd hand PivotPegs and they are really great. Need to do the peg bolts   Did you file down the mating surfaces and replace with HT?

A 690 light on a 610 would be a great conversation piece  :thumleft:  :biggrin:

Those PivotPegs look nice, just frightfully expensive  :o

I didnt file anything when I replaced the foot peg bolts just took the old ones out and replaced with 8.8 nickle plated.

I replace those when ever I do a major service, because the design over stresses the bolts and thus they will always be prone to fatigue cracking and there's no easy way to tell if a crack has developed until the peg falls off so I prefer to just replace the bolts every now and then - its quick and cheap!

PS  I don't ride much in the dark neither, but the HID REALLY paid for itself in Namibia when I got lost and separated from my mates and rode about 100k's in the dark trying to work out where they were (I had inadvertantly strayed from the agreed "road").  Without it I would have probably have missed them (I managed to get back to the right track just as they drove by - without a decent light I wouldn't have been able to ride very fast in the dark and would not have got back to the road in time - they were carrying all my food water tent etc  all I had was a bottle of water left).
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 10:47:24 am by alanB »

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 01:57:34 pm »

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 08:04:11 am »

PS Dom

While you are sorting out all the little niggles on the 610.

You should consider re-routing that clutch cable (and lube it if you havent already - they tend to fail early otherwise). 

I found the best was the cable should run underneath the handle bars and up through the front gap in the upper bar clamp thingy.  That way it has the least kinks and lines up straighter on the lever mount. 

Thats what worked best for me, although looking at your photo your cable looks like it lines up quite well -  does it line up well when you turn the handle bars through all angles?  The key is to ensure that it isnt entering the lever at an akward angle.

The cable tends to break right at the lever.

It might be wise to order another cable and keep it as a spare in your hydropack so if it does go on a ride you arent stranded.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 08:10:51 am by alanB »

Offline Rider392

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 08:26:44 am »
 :thumleft:
Awesome what you've done to the Husky!
I bet Buks is eating his heart out when he sees this!
Honda xl500s,Blaster,Kawasaki Z1100

Offline Buks

• RR's no more!!
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 09:39:44 pm »

Masterfully executed, but not my cup of tea.
2012 Honda XR650L

THE PAST :   '83 Honda MT5; '84 Honda MTX200R; '8? Kawa GPZ550; '79 Honda XL185S; '94 Honda XLR250R; '08 BMW G650Xchallenge; '95 Honda Africa Twin; '10 Honda XR125L; '10 Yamaha XT250; '09 Husqvarna TE610; '10 Honda XR250 Tornado... and more than a dozen Honda + Yamaha ATV's + 1 Arctic Cat DVX400.

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 12:32:05 am »
[quote

PS Dom

While you are sorting out all the little niggles on the 610.

You should consider re-routing that clutch cable (and lube it if you havent already - they tend to fail early otherwise). 

I found the best was the cable should run underneath the handle bars and up through the front gap in the upper bar clamp thingy.  That way it has the least kinks and lines up straighter on the lever mount. 

Thats what worked best for me, although looking at your photo your cable looks like it lines up quite well -  does it line up well when you turn the handle bars through all angles?  The key is to ensure that it isnt entering the lever at an akward angle.

The cable tends to break right at the lever.

It might be wise to order another cable and keep it as a spare in your hydropack so if it does go on a ride you arent stranded.
[/quote]

OK - rerouted cable behind the bars and is a better pull angle but unfortunately worse for reading the instrument display... have also ordered a spare cable athough this one was looking good and well lubed (did lube more though while I had it off at the top).

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 01:07:52 am »

Masterfully executed, but not my cup of tea.

Ja while ideally it would be nice to keep her naked  ;) the reality is that I need often to travel a good few 100km to get to where I want to really ride and with my height I take strain in the aerodynamic department. I may well reconsider this setup if/when I change the headlight fairing.

Offline Buks

• RR's no more!!
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 06:39:16 am »
2012 Honda XR650L

THE PAST :   '83 Honda MT5; '84 Honda MTX200R; '8? Kawa GPZ550; '79 Honda XL185S; '94 Honda XLR250R; '08 BMW G650Xchallenge; '95 Honda Africa Twin; '10 Honda XR125L; '10 Yamaha XT250; '09 Husqvarna TE610; '10 Honda XR250 Tornado... and more than a dozen Honda + Yamaha ATV's + 1 Arctic Cat DVX400.