Latest Pig on gravel at last.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Garfield

Not really a ride report, just a few photos of the GSA kindly paid for by BMW Insurance earlier this year at last tasting a bit of gravel.

The idea was simple:

We still had to work on Saturday, only being able to leave Melkbosstrand around 14:00, so we would take the N7 to Clanwilliam, meet up with other riders from the Overberg, and stay over at Travelers Rest.
We managed to leave at 14:30, got to Clanwilliam at about 17:00 (in 40+ degrees heat) and re-hydrated while waiting for the others who had to fix a puncture on the way.
Eventually got to Travelers Rest at about 20:00 (the moon over the mountains going over Pakhuis Pass was just awesome - did not stop for photos).
Ended up braaing at midnight, getting to bed at after 02:00.

This morning the plan was (was) to ride over Algeria to Oasis for a drink, then over Ceres back home.
30 degrees at 07:00 made us change the plan at breakfast, deciding we will wait a few months for the Cederberg to cool down.

We then decided to go to Lamberts Bay, have a drink, then use the gravel toll roads on the way home.
Turned out to be a wise call, as it was nice and cool (in the 20's) along the coast.

The roads are in good condition, with only one short section of 3km's (a detour just before Dwarskersbos) being a little bit kak.

I have not ridden a big bike on gravel since before July 2011, with only one gravel trip since then on the WR450, and here I go, with luggage, and a pillion - it went well, we had a great ride  :thumleft:

Did not take too many photos, but here some of them are:

Lamberts Bay

DSCN2408Medium.jpg

A couple of golden oldies (yes I know 2SD, you would disagree with the "golden" part  :imaposer: )

DSCN2409Medium.jpg

Getting off the tar

DSCN2411Medium.jpg

Yes, I was the slowest

DSCN2417Medium.jpg

I quite like this bike, think I will keep it for a while longer  :thumleft:

DSCN2421Medium.jpg

Fellow rider

DSCN2426Medium.jpg

Fellow rider (and WD) and pillion

DSCN2428Medium.jpg

We pay the toll fees, for once we are quite OK with paying to use the road