It didn't work out completely as planned... But it was FUN!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypsybaron

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
Well, it all started with Bronzy – He had a Quantum that needed to go to Cape Town and said any Dog could drive it down, as long as he made his own way back. I jumped at the offer but wasn’t first in line. It turned out that the other Dogs had other commitments, so I got the chance to go after all. I had to take the screen and mirrors off for the GS to fit……

LoadedUp.jpg

Mirror1.jpg

Offloaded and ready to be reassembled in Cape Town

Reassemble.jpg

They saw me coming, and fearing an invasion, decided to close up shop.

Toegemaak.jpg

At the Mouillepoint Lighthouse.

Mouillepunt.jpg

I met 2 GREAT Dogs in Cape Town, and saw the Café Bobber that is taking form in Freak’s garage

GypsybaronHeimerFreak.jpg

Heimer suggested I do the Seweweekspoort and the Swartberg pass. On the way to Laingsburg (Via Du Toitskloof Pass) I took a quick detour on a dirt road that looked nice at first, but got progressively worse. As I didn’t have a back-up vehicle, and no-one knew where I was headed (including myself) I turned around.

DuToit1.jpg

DuToit2.jpg

Mirror2.jpg

Rocky1.jpg

Rocky2.jpg

Rocky3.jpg

Filled up at Laingsburg and I was raring to go but disaster struck on my way to Seweweekspoort  :-[ With the pannier support bracket broken – on TAR! – I was in a predicament – If I do the pass, my pannier might get lost completely, so I grudgingly decided to slab it all the way back.

DamnIt1.jpg

DamnIt2.jpg

Exactly 111 km from Beaufort West I saw this lost soul  ;) They were on their way back from Cape Town, and the towbar broke. The owner had already left to get it repaired.

WaarIsDieSee.jpg

I slept over in Beaufort West, on Friday morning my mom phoned to tell me the submersible pump doesn’t work and they are without water. So, instead of taking a slow, sightseeing tour of the Western and Northern Cape as I intended, I did the 970 km to Zeerust  in one day. I took it v-e-r-y easy on the dirt, but managed one final pic for the day – 1 km from her house on the farm.

Awendsrust.jpg

All in all a very enjoyable trip. First thing before I go that direction again - GET SOME SOFT PANNIERS!