Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: TE Footpeg Bolts !  (Read 955 times)

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
TE Footpeg Bolts !
« on: January 09, 2012, 01:54:56 pm »
As I heard early on the footpeg bolts are a TE weakness ... I have been meaning to get around to doing them and there are a few stories on AdvRider etc of guys seeing there noughts or almost  :eek7:

Well here is the definative skinny on it - seems like you should flat the mating surfaces if you are going to do it properly.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-565143.html
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 08:42:56 pm by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
Re: TE Footpeg Bolts !
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 08:29:23 pm »
OK so pulled the pegs and EEak  :eek7: the bolts looked crusty (as my lightie would say!). Definately were not all that tight and show signs of water ingress to the threads and some minor corrosion. One was noticibly bent and the LHS had 5mm longer bolts?? Went to town and bought some grade 12.9 cap head replacements. On my return I sprayed Q20 in the holes and ran a tap through - lots of black gunk in the threads!? Inspected the threaded locating lugs and definately not all level and kosher and one had a definite weld high spot between the holes that had scalded the bracket under pressure (see photo) and could not possibly seat flush, as evidenced by the obvious lack of contact pressure in one area. I then inspected the actual brackets and sure enough you can see the one is concave and one convex??? WTF? Will finish filing tomorrow, clean threads with carb cleaner and replace bolts, locktite and torque.  :thumleft:  (Brackets and cap heads will need some silver Hammerite).

Real insurance would involve a weld along the top of the bracket and maybe underneath (could always be ground off if ever one needed to replace the bracket).

This is certainly an achiles heel, excuse the pun.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 08:50:04 pm by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

theotherguy

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 08:33:13 pm »
get plated 12.9 bolts,  or have the ones you have plated.
the stock ones (the ones you have) will rust faktap in no time.

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 08:37:43 pm »
Yeah would have liked nickel plated but no such luck off the shelf in my dorp. In meantime will Hammerite caps and Locktite will seal the rest.

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 07:04:12 am »
Anyone know offhand the torque spec on these bolts?

theotherguy

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 07:48:10 am »

those bolts will handle massive amounts of torque.
the real question is: how much torque can the frame handle (where the bolts go in)?
RTFM.

theotherguy

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 07:49:11 am »
Yeah would have liked nickel plated but no such luck off the shelf in my dorp. In meantime will Hammerite caps and Locktite will seal the rest.

maybe use those as a temp measure,  and ask a WD to send plated ones down/up to you?

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 08:16:57 am »

No idea

I got as tight as I dare without stripping anything  :P

As I said I check them frequently so I dont try and over do the torque and then strip the frame, rather check them often.
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 09:04:27 am »

those bolts will handle massive amounts of torque.
the real question is: how much torque can the frame handle (where the bolts go in)?
RTFM.

Yeah I know the bolt has a shear strength that would allow you to lift a car! Just not sure where to set the torque wrench but will find out ...
And ja am going to put plated ones in - Welsh has kindly offered his WD brotherhhod assistance  :thumleft: Will use these in the meantime.

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 01:17:42 pm »
Ok had a look at the service manual (was a bit lazy earlier, still in holiday mode) it recommends the following for the "fixing screw foot rest support":

24.5-26.5 Nm and Loctite 242.

I downloaded the service manual ages ago. Its 45Mb, if you cant find it on the web let me know and I'll upload to a FTP server or something.

Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 01:21:50 pm »
Thanks Alan - I think I also have it sitting on my desktop at work  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 01:22:35 pm by BiG DoM »