Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Advice on entering Namibia  (Read 1123 times)

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
Advice on entering Namibia
« on: July 23, 2007, 09:14:29 pm »
Right okes need some help and advice pretty sharpish  ::) Going to Namibia in October for a 10 day bike trip in Kaoko Land. I want to do it on this..

Father-in-law phoned to get the licence updated etc and was told the bike is actually scrapped since he took so long to register it. Apparently it can take up to 6 months to get all the paperwork together to put it through the test. Now this bike is going to be trailered with two others by friends meeting us in Windhoek as we are flying directly there.

What is the implications of taking this bike over as an "offroader" not registered on the road at all. I do understand if I get caught riding on tarmac etc in Nam that I will be fined heavily or even have the bike confiscated. Our route so far is 95% gravel and very far from any tar and KK's hopefully.
  • What do I need to get the bike across the border and back in SA essentially for customs?
  • Bill of ownership or any other docs?
  • What does the guys taking the bike across need from me in my absence at the border?

Now I know this is possible how else do guys get their offroads and kwats over the border every year for the desert race. Any information would be greatly appreciated  ;D

Thanks
Mav
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
Re: Advice on entering Namibia
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 09:34:53 pm »
If you trailer the bike through to Namib you don't need papers for it.  That's what I heard, might be wrong though.

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 10:07:30 pm »
One option is to get a letter from the manufacturing that it is classified as a "racing bike".

Then they just work on serial number. No papers. (Normal red tape paperwork needs to be done at border post)

Would take a bit of convincing though on that BM. :eek:

Seriously though. Do you/in-law still have original paperwork? (Registered owner.)

One needs to fill in forms for all vehicles entering/exiting Namibia and get a road permit. All they need is ownership papers and maybe a letter of the previous owner saying the bike is on loan to the rider and a physical address.

Never had the license on the bike checked before. Only serial/engine number. (Entering/exiting Namibia - on the Nam side) Also no vehicle license (Not driver's license) checking in Nam. And we have been stopped a few times. As long as you have the road permit.

Entering under controlled Barksa Desert Run circumstances. Exiting under normal visitor circumstances.

Not saying it is as the laws prescribes. Sorry. No definate answer. :confused:

He who angers you, controls you.

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Race Dog
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 10:37:51 pm »

Seriously though. Do you/in-law still have original paperwork? (Registered owner.)

I think what happened he bought the bike in 1998 and never bothered to register it on his name. The previous owner decided it is easier to just scrap the bike which is exactly what I would of done. Problem is to get the registration docs etc now onto my name in time before end September  :o

Not sure what docs he still has and need to check with him, should of done this ages ago but thought everything was fine untill last week ::)
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 10:47:18 pm »
On option is to contact people doing these type of things at a fee and maybe fast track it. Not sure if you/in-law have done it yet.

In the end, best would be to do it the proper way (Entering Namibia) even if it cost a few. It has to be done anyway. The consequences of having an accident with an unregistered bike is heavy.

Menlyn Roadworthy here in Pretoria. (Sorry. No e-mail)

+27 12 348-0417
+27 12 348-0418

Sure other members might have some contacts in this regard.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 10:49:40 pm by JourneyMan »
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline Doggone

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Fairlands, Johannesburg
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 01:39:09 am »
I have taken quad bikes to Namibia over the past few years. They fall into this category. Licensed but no number plates or roadworthy.

All you need at the border ( both Botswana and Namibia) is the original ownership papers and if you are not the owner, a letter from the owner and certfied copy of the  owners id.

Once in Namibia, use of the bike on road might pose some other problems, but once they see the bike being foreign, I doubt if they will check whether the papers are current. Only problem is if you have an accident. You will not be covered ito 3rd party claims, and this could have some serious ramifications.

I would try at all cost to get the paperwork in order before leaving. There are some guys around that will do all the standing in line and have contacts to get this expedited. Sure they will charge a fee, but worthwhile in the end

Hope this helps. :D
"Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the Courage to Continue that Counts"  Winston Churchill
Bike History: 1976 Yamaha Chappy-50cc; 1978 Yamaha RD50; 1979 Suzuki TS125; 1980 Suzuki GS 400; 27 years of bikelessness ; 2007 BMW R1200GS - 125 000 km's , 2017 BMW R1200GSA LC (Lowered)😁 WOW!

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 08:33:10 am »
I don't have the info you require but I can offer something that may help you evaluate risk:

During the past year I have visited both Nam and Bots.
Bots have plenty police, army and veternary control agents checking vehicles and licences. Even on dirt roads
Nam on the other hand have almost no visible police presence. I don't remember seeing one cop on the roads except in the Windhoek CBD

Your experience might be the opposite of mine but I just thought I'd mention it if you wanted to risk riding an unlicenced bike.

Offline CrazyPorra

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • The Mutton Man
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 12:42:15 pm »
I have idea, You sell it to me at good price, I register it and you can use it.  >:D

I'm sure that even for the dirt roads the bike needs to be licenced.

Offline Xerys

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 01:28:44 pm »
Not sure how you wish to exit Windhoek as the main routes all have police checkpoints, going to the coast, down south or even via the Gamsberg Pass connection. You're unlikely to get stopped on gravel as this is usually too far from anywhere with proper infrastructure. Problems could potentially arise at checkpoints as the typical Cartman ex Southpark "You will respect my authorita" mentality will prevail! Won't it simply be easier to just register it is SA and let your mates take it across. That defenitely will not elicit any problems and you'll be covered when you are insured. Also check your medical aid as they may also not cover you if you have a spill and the worse happens. Peace of mind cannot be bought.
BMW R1150GS/K1200S

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • CFO Consult SA
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 02:06:16 pm »
No Mav, you are fooked. Sorry mate.

Forget Nam.

Your only option is to sell that beauty to me.

;D ;D ;D

And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

www.cfoconsult.co.za

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Race Dog
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 02:25:12 pm »
Well thanks for the helpfull and the ermmm other comments  ;D To clear things up I certainly don't want to ride the bike unregistered at all costs but if that is the crunch between doing this trip or not then you do the maths ;)

As for selling it nearly tried it once but could not get it over my heart to sell it. This bike has got more to it than the looks, for starters I don't think you guys have noticed it is twin plugged and there is a set of mahle racing pistons loaded in the nickelsil coated barrels. A set of rings for this bike is over £100 (yep I know because I bought a set just for incase and we talking only 4 small little rings ) HPN 43 liter tank, White Power rear shock, wilber springs in front fork....the list goes on i.e. touratech seat _ corbin seat, TT pannier racks....:o

It is one of those bikes you would sell and immediately after regret selling for the rest of your life. For time being untill I feel different it won't be for sale. If however I do change my mind please put dibs on it now ;D

I will gladly pay a bit "extra" to get it registered and on the road, problem being me over here on this bloody mud island and the bike over there in the sun :(

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 03:09:32 pm »
6 months? I don't believe that. I don't think things are that far south over here yet.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

bobnob

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007, 03:54:51 pm »
Your only option is to sell that beauty to me.

your getting married dude all you will be buying in the near future is curtains and cups and shite ;-)

Offline Metaljockey

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • Dodgy S.O.B.
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2007, 11:22:43 pm »
I have taken bikes including a 1200, 640, Dakars etc into Namibia loaded into a panelvan 4 times in the past 3 years. Not once did I declare them or showed or were asked any papers.

Offline Poffmuis

• aka Newguy
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Rally rally rally
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2007, 11:57:03 am »
Bring the numberplate and registry papers of your 1200 along and put it on the bike. In SA they dont even bother with you if you have foreign plates, maybe the same in Nam. When will you be there? I'm thinking of doing a 10 day trip in Dec on my R80 as well

:sleepy2: I'm a bit slow this morning, see you allready going in October.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 12:03:52 pm by newguy »

Offline Poffmuis

• aka Newguy
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Rally rally rally
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2007, 11:58:39 am »
Oh and BTW, Dibs  ;D

fire-ant

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2007, 05:40:40 pm »
hi newguy,

i am from Nam. Nam officials are tightening up border control/imports etc. for reasons such as illegal imports, fraud, violating Nam laws, disrespect of nature conservation, and a whole lot of that stuff.

a few imbeciles thinks anything beyond the border of the R of SA, are their playground to mess up as good as possible, and hooliganism is just great - for they can return safely home.

if worth anything, do it right first time! That is the law.

Nam border control might be slack in general, but you just might be the guy they pick. You DO NOT want to put up with that kak. It is a nightmare! And it might cost you. Ask the desert run hoolies.

at least have the original registration cert.