Advice on entering Namibia

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R100GS / Kalahari
Right okes need some help and advice pretty sharpish  ::) Going to Namibia in October for a 10 day bike trip in Kaoko Land. I want to do it on this..

r80home_2_std.jpg

Father-in-law phoned to get the licence updated etc and was told the bike is actually scrapped since he took so long to register it. Apparently it can take up to 6 months to get all the paperwork together to put it through the test. Now this bike is going to be trailered with two others by friends meeting us in Windhoek as we are flying directly there.

What is the implications of taking this bike over as an "offroader" not registered on the road at all. I do understand if I get caught riding on tarmac etc in Nam that I will be fined heavily or even have the bike confiscated. Our route so far is 95% gravel and very far from any tar and KK's hopefully.

• What do I need to get the bike across the border and back in SA essentially for customs?
  • Bill of ownership or any other docs?
  • What does the guys taking the bike across need from me in my absence at the border?

Now I know this is possible how else do guys get their offroads and kwats over the border every year for the desert race. Any information would be greatly appreciated  ;D

Thanks
Mav