Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: High pressure cleaners  (Read 1548 times)

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
High pressure cleaners
« on: July 25, 2007, 07:25:39 am »
I bought one, nice, lekker :)

But, Lecap said no HP washer comes near his bikes. And we all know Lecap is one very knowledgeable member. Now I am a little bit worried.  :-\ I dont want to do something I should not do to my and Red devils toys.

Can members here please give me the do and donts about washing a scooter (1200Gs and F650GS) with a HP washer.

Thanks in advance

Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline Vonkprop

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
Re: High pressure cleaners
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 08:09:45 am »
Put your hand in front of the nozzle and you'll realise just how much force the spray has.
Don't get too close to the bike...exceptions being bits like tyres,mudgaurds,screen.
Don't blast off your decals ( I should know  ;)
Be gentle on the instrument panel.....increase your distance to ave. hosepipe force.
Avoid obvious bearings and electrics.

I have been using mine for eight months and have not caused any issues.
I use Prepsol in the suction bottle/pipe attachment.Wait for 10mins after foaming , then rinse off.
Overall it makes cleaning the bike a pleasure.
You're never lost as long as you still have gas !

Offline Plothond

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • I was powerslide pozer KING & TV personality
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 08:29:03 am »
Do not aim it directly at gaskets and seals. This is quite difficult to avoid though.

I've been using high pressure washers on my bikes and quads for years now - to no ill effect. IMO it is the only effective way to clean a bike or quad

And use prepsol. It is an excellent dirt and grease remover which means there is less action required directly from the HP washer
I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure anymore

The butcher backed into the meat grinder and got a little behind in his work

GS-holic

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 08:38:46 am »
.......Don't get too close to the bike...exceptions being bits like tyres,mudgaurds,screen.

I don't think it is such a good idea spraying the tires with full force at close range with a HP washer. 

The instructions included in the WAP HP whasher also advise against this - aaag kaaark I said and tested it on my daugters quad bike's tyre, just to make sure - needless to say, it end up with a bulge on the sidewall.

PS isn't it funny when you first bring the HP washer home, everything gets washed - 'n lekka toy ;) :D ;D

Offline FortyZA

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • East London
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 08:51:35 am »
Ama ride ride
I have a similar HP cleaner and have used it on my Yamaha Raptor and both my old GS 1200 and my 1200 ADV.  I use mine but owuld suggest caution on areas like the speedo, switch assemblies and oil coolers (radiator).  Otherwise the rest of the bike is fine.

Stand further than normal as the pressure from the nozzel will remove skin is held too close.  Once you have made that mistake, you will stand back and not spray too close.  Also may I suggest that you spray some solvent on before using the HP cleaner, this way you tend not to spend too much time with the HP cleaner.  I find Prepsol works best and is cheap.

Enjoy and don't worry too much.
BMW 1220 Adv (2006)
WR450F (777 - cool blue)
KDX 250 (Pink panther) Sold

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 12:56:16 pm »
I take my bike to my local BP car wash and they hose my bike down with their high pressure washer
never had a problem

Offline sillystunt

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 01:31:13 pm »
never ever,ever hit the stickers.
i rode an  a v e ure for months.

never ever test the pressure on your palm
its healed up nicely by the way.

never ever chase the cats with it
lucky never ever came back

and never point it directly at your large lounge window
yes,the glass will break and putting the putty in through burglar bars is a crap job.

of course if you are a mature well adjusted adult none of the above really applies to you.
We miss 100% of the shots we never take.

Offline Grootseun

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 02:04:35 pm »
of course if you are a mature well adjusted adult none of the above really applies to you.

Never thought i would see all those words in one sentence on this forum...

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 02:13:34 pm »
Use the nozzle that sprays a flat mist like stream of water and stand about a metre away. used mine for 3years no problems. For the rest, agree what the other said.

Offline Vonkprop

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 03:00:43 pm »
After getting over the thrill of using it on the scoot remember it can be used for many other things as well eg. cars , cleaning out gutters , dirty paintwork on the house (not too close !!) ,dirty paving etc....  :D
You're never lost as long as you still have gas !

Offline Beemer Man (RIP)

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 11:36:52 am »
This tip I got from a old biker buddy of mine, use hot water in the machine, I have now installed a hot water tap in my Garage just for this you, will not believe the difference this makes, I no longer use any degreasers and hardley ever have to actually wash the bike with a cloth, even my KDX after a really muddy ride, I love my pressure washer its awesome. ;D
I think if I actually found My mind, I probably wouldn't know what to do with it,

GS-holic

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 11:47:52 am »
BM sounds like a good idea - does the hot water not damage the seals etc of the HP washer?

Offline Beemer Man (RIP)

• Race Dog
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 12:01:33 pm »
BM sounds like a good idea - does the hot water not damage the seals etc of the HP washer?
Not up to now, also because the machine is not used for long periods when cleaning a bike I don't think there should be a problem, also in the instructions it mentions nothing about not using with hot water.
Try it its great.
I think if I actually found My mind, I probably wouldn't know what to do with it,

Offline BOZO

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2007, 12:26:02 pm »
Hmm I dont have one but after reading this thread.... I really really want one!!!! O0
"If you think anyone is sane you just don't know enough about them."— Christopher Moore (Practical Demonkeeping)
1150 GS, 1200 GSA, 125 KX, WR450  (all sold) :(
XT660Z

Offline tsiklonaut

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1100GS
    • Ühel Teljel Ümber Planeedi
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2007, 12:26:35 pm »
I'm not using HP washer too.

I use it sometimes for shaft drive housing (swingarm) and wheels, if they're covered with thick sh*t and melted tar. Puting some medium or soft dissolver before on, let it soak for few minutes and then wash the wheels rims (not the hub!).

Sometimes if I'm lazy not to swich over to regular water pressure I using from very long distance where the pressure is normal.

But never for the whole bike as HP washers are supposed to used - close range. Too much cables, pipes that can get damaged using HP wahser on long term. Also it pushes shit into bearings on long term usage, defects seals.

BMW also forbids HP washers, so I see logic their statements.

Use it at yout own risk. On short therm it maybe allright, but on the long term, things can turn nasty...
Horsepower
is an illusory
Mathematical equation
Torque
is the source of all Good things in the world

Offline Beemer Man (RIP)

• Race Dog
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2007, 01:36:24 pm »
I have been involved in things Mechanical for over 30 years and have yet to find something that did not run to its full life from using a pressure washer, my logic tells me that if all these stories were true high pressure washers would have no place in industry let alone at home. Use with care sure, especially with paint and stickers/ electricals and even more so if you are using a rotary attachement on the end of a lance ( makes the jet spin cause much higher pressure) what BMW means about seals is if you hold the jet directly on  them for any lenghth of time you can get water ingress, but pleeeeez surely common sense prevails.

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2007, 01:46:55 pm »
I take my bike to my local BP car wash and they hose my bike down with their high pressure washer
never had a problem

Is thermal shock not an issue when spraying cold water onto a hot engine?
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

GS-holic

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2007, 01:50:20 pm »
I have been involved in things Mechanical for over 30 years and have yet to find something that did not run to its full life from using a pressure washer, my logic tells me that if all these stories were true high pressure washers would have no place in industry let alone at home. Use with care sure, especially with paint and stickers/ electricals and even more so if you are using a rotary attachement on the end of a lance ( makes the jet spin cause much higher pressure) what BMW means about seals is if you hold the jet directly on  them for any lenghth of time you can get water ingress, but pleeeeez surely common sense prevails.

+1
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 01:50:43 pm by GS-holic »

Offline BOZO

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2007, 01:51:27 pm »

Is thermal shock not an issue when spraying cold water onto a hot engine?

I speak for my self here but i probably wont have too much of a problem with that. as after most fun rides ( and which arent) I'll relax and have a few beers. ;D
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 01:52:11 pm by BOZO »
"If you think anyone is sane you just don't know enough about them."— Christopher Moore (Practical Demonkeeping)
1150 GS, 1200 GSA, 125 KX, WR450  (all sold) :(
XT660Z

Offline Ratel

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2007, 02:59:09 pm »
So what happens when you do a water crossing ??? ??? ???
"Stercus accidit..."