Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: High pressure cleaners  (Read 1549 times)

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
Re: High pressure cleaners
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2007, 03:10:23 pm »
water crossings are Low Pressure Washers

unless you try to cross the Marianas Trench

Offline Ratel

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2007, 08:22:01 pm »
I was referring to the "Thermal shock" theory 8)
"Stercus accidit..."

Offline Beemer Man (RIP)

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2007, 06:37:06 am »
Thought I would share my pride and joy, mounted permanently on the wall in my garage complete with hot water tap. ;D
I think if I actually found My mind, I probably wouldn't know what to do with it,

Offline BOZO

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2007, 07:55:33 am »
So what happens when you do a water crossing ??? ??? ???

Hmmm BMW on call?  Pity about those "other" models with out the backup service  ;D ;D ;D
"If you think anyone is sane you just don't know enough about them."— Christopher Moore (Practical Demonkeeping)
1150 GS, 1200 GSA, 125 KX, WR450  (all sold) :(
XT660Z

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2007, 10:31:16 am »
I was referring to the "Thermal shock" theory 8)

I certainly don't do water crossings as often as I wash the bike.  ;)

It's not a theory, its more a concern. I never wash my bike when the engine is still hot, I let it cool down first.

Welshie and the other experts, is thermal shock an issue or not?
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline lecap

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2007, 12:44:23 pm »
No cracked engine from thermal shock when crossing water. Globular graphite cast iron and aluminium alloys as well as magnesium alloys used for engine components have a good bit of elasticity to cope with thermal stress. Thermal stress is also very high during warm up with some components heating very quickly and others taking more time.

With regards to the BMW F650GS: Stay far far away from the steering head bearing as the lower one only has a pathetic steel shim as "seal".

GSholic: I have been fixing bikes for 20+ years. 90% of the wheel and steering head bearings I replaced died from water ingress most likely caused by pressure cleaning.

I rinse thick clay & dust off with the hosepipe. Soft spray, help with hand broom and dishwashing brush where the mudmonster sits. Let it dry a bit. Then I use Prepsol in pumpspray. Leave it on to work for 5 minutes. Don't spray Prepsol on perspex in the sun (best to work in the shadow and using car shampoo or dishwashing liquid on Perspex anyway).
Hand broom & dishwashing brush for more stubborn stuff.
Rinse off with hosepipe, spray nozzle, very soft low pressure.
Finish off with a bucket of water with a bit of car shampoo and yellow Handy Andy cloth.
The pressure cleaner is fine as long as you don't go too close. But then why not use a hosepipe and a Gardena spray nozzle?
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2007, 01:10:51 pm »
Thanks lecap for clearing that up.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

GS-holic

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2007, 04:09:24 pm »
This tip I got from a old biker buddy of mine, use hot water in the machine, I have now installed a hot water tap in my Garage just for this you, will not believe the difference this makes, I no longer use any degreasers and hardley ever have to actually wash the bike with a cloth, even my KDX after a really muddy ride, I love my pressure washer its awesome. ;D

Connected the hot water to the Karcher 4.99M - and it doesn't work anymore  -did a read up on the web, and it is stated that hot water over 170 deg F is not to be used on non hot water hp washers - hope its a simple job of replacing the seals - any advice would be appreciated.

DONT DO IT

shark_za

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2007, 04:25:15 pm »
That little bity about not using it on your hands... true.

I had a small scratch from a thorn on my right hand, some hops there while cleaning the scoot, no hassles I'll just blast it clean.
With a layer of skin.
Ouch.
Its ok on skin when there is no grip but this little scratch let it get hold and blasted a hole in my hand!

Offline Beemer Man (RIP)

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2007, 07:02:09 am »
This tip I got from a old biker buddy of mine, use hot water in the machine, I have now installed a hot water tap in my Garage just for this you, will not believe the difference this makes, I no longer use any degreasers and hardley ever have to actually wash the bike with a cloth, even my KDX after a really muddy ride, I love my pressure washer its awesome. ;D

Connected the hot water to the Karcher 4.99M - and it doesn't work anymore  -did a read up on the web, and it is stated that hot water over 170 deg F is not to be used on non hot water hp washers - hope its a simple job of replacing the seals - any advice would be appreciated.

DONT DO IT

Sorry to hear that, I have used mine for months now, with no problem, and so have have a number of my friends.
I think if I actually found My mind, I probably wouldn't know what to do with it,

GS-holic

« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2007, 08:18:45 am »
Just spoken to Karcher - the problem with using hot water if itâ??s a model not intended for this, (Myne is a K4.99M) is that the cylinder head eventually deforms and loses pressure.  Although it still has some pressure, the machine â??kicks" on and off continuously when the trigger is released.  Also the lithium grease thins out in the wobble plate section of the pump. 

Anyhow the first line of repair is the replacement of the cylinder head and the replacement of the lithium grease with 80w-90 gearbox oil up to halfway of the wobble plate.

BM Maybe you have a model that can be used with hot water - had a check last night in my owners manual it clearly says not to use water of temperature of 40 deg C or higher. ;)

Offline Pom

• Amateur Grease Monkey
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Ducati Hypermotard
  • Non bastardus carborundum
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2007, 12:45:19 pm »
All I have to say is I would be have still been busy cleaning my XT parts without one. Brilliant! 
Success is a matter of hanging on, after others have let go.
Proudly Ducatisti

GS-holic

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2007, 01:02:38 pm »
Bought a new pump head and valve - R 198 - cheap round, hope it solves the problem.  Pom I agree - one of the best "toys" ever.

Offline Slide

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Vespa (all models)
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2007, 02:15:53 pm »
Bought a new pump head and valve - R 198 - cheap round, hope it solves the problem.

Should have phoned you brother - would have cost you R1-57.

On the hot water cleaners they use a coiled steel pipe type boiler fired by a diesel flame thrower. It is quite an involved cumbersome and expensive system to replace. The reason for this is that they haven't figured out a way to pressurise scorching hot water to 150 bar and still have it cheap enough for us normal okes to use as well. If it was as easy connecting a hot water tap - the manufacturers would have done it long ago. I short - don't do it.

Also, if don't use just any old chemical you can find in the soap suction of you machine. Even Sunlight Liquid becomes as corrosive as pool acid when pressurised, and you won't nitice nything until one day out of the blue there is an oil slick on your paving and you HP washer has no pressure.

O Ja, don't forget to let the pressure out of the system whenever you stop the machine. It is hell on the seals to stand under pressure all the time. Think of the last time you had Lover's Balls. You get the picture >:(
"I was on the throttle, and I was in front - no problem." - Wayne Rainey

Offline BOZO

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2007, 03:51:12 pm »
It is hell on the seals to stand under pressure all the time. Think of the last time you had Lover's Balls. You get the picture

:evil6: :evil6: :evil6:
"If you think anyone is sane you just don't know enough about them."— Christopher Moore (Practical Demonkeeping)
1150 GS, 1200 GSA, 125 KX, WR450  (all sold) :(
XT660Z