A little bit of Karoo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stofdonkie

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
Not being able to make the Mini Bash on the Breederivier during December, Country Gal and I decided to treat ourselves to a consolatory trip and after a tough year some remedial helmet time on the Karoo’s best Zen gravel was considered to be the cure. A glance at the map, a few phone calls and off we went.

Day one.

All loaded and ready for action.
foto1-1.jpg

Enjoying the view from the top of du Toitskloofpass.
foto2.jpg

Start of the good stuff. We took the road past Dageraad towards Robertson.
foto3-1.jpg

Stopped in Montagu for a bite. BMW lifestyle type.  :mwink:
foto4-1.jpg

CG had chicken pie which upset this chap a bit.  :eek:
foto5.jpg

Footnote: Somehow my sub-conscience considers Montagu as the start of a trip. A type of relaxation gateway or portal. As soon as I ride out of town and hit the Karoo, I get in the holiday mood. Scenery changes, traffic is less, etc. Same happens with Ceres and Piekenierkloofpass. And of course the reverse is also true.

After Montagu it was on to Oubergpass.  
foto6-1.jpg

Going up Ouberg.
foto8-1.jpg

foto7-1.jpg

Strike a pose …  :D
foto9.jpg

Touwsriver valley.
foto11.jpg

I’m usually way to busy enjoying the scenery (read: lazy) to bother with tyre pressures. But seeing as we were stopped.
foto12.jpg

We turned off toward Laingesburg.
foto13-1.jpg

CG
foto14.jpg

Start of the Great Karoo.
foto15-1.jpg

At Laignesburg we fuelled up and hit the N1 for 40km’s north. At Koup we turned right towards Merweville.
foto16-1.jpg

This is what I came for …  :thumleft:
foto17.jpg

About 50 km’s out of town a farmer stopped us next to the road and asked if we can take some ko-operasie papiere to town for him. Imagine that sort of thing in a city.

Merveville.
foto18-1.jpg

Our accommodation for the night.
foto19.jpg

Swimming pool.
foto20-1.jpg

Parking for the night.
foto21-1.jpg

What a lekker place to stay. We were the only guests, had dinner with the people in their kitchen and slept like corpses in a nice room. All for very little geld. I can seriously recommend the Springbok Lodge.