..2007 Husqvarna SM125S...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malJohann

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Singer (all models)
As posted in the BMW buys Husqvarna thread, I'm interested in buying a 2007 Husqvarna SM125S. It's a 2-stroke supermotard that weighs 113kg with 28kW on tap, but costs around the R40k mark new (so I'd probably be looking for a 2nd hand example). Reason for wanting it is mainly to commute, but also to enable me to have some off-road fun on local MX tracks and dirt roads.

466904-2.jpg

I've got a couple of questions though.

1. The 2007 model features an electronic carburetion system, mixes the 2-stroke oil with the petrol automatically and is the first 2-stroke they produce that's Euro 3 compliant, so it doesn't smoke a lot. Would I smell alot worse when I get to work than if I rode a 4-stroke? I work in an office, so this is important.

2. It's got a top speed of 132km/h with faster acceleration up to 120km/h than a Cagiva Mito 125 and Aprilia RS125. I know 2-stroke engines have less torque than 4-stroke engines, so in your opinion, would the torque available be enough to maintain at least 120km/h against hills, head-winds and the like?

3. I've heard from some that Husky engines and engineering (except electrics) are bullet-proof, but I've also heard otherwise? Any experience/hearsay/opinion is welcome, but I would prefer experience. Also, how often would I need to service and am I correct in saying that 2-strokes are cheaper to service?