Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: You might call it "FUGLY", but I don't  (Read 1217 times)

Offline Stoffies82

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
You might call it "FUGLY", but I don't
« on: January 19, 2012, 08:43:52 am »
So, after a few months my search was ended right here on the Wilddog website when I bought the 2006 KLR that DocKLR was advertising.  Not having seen the bike and acting on the words of a complete stranger, I paid for the bike and Doc sent it down on the train in Cape Town.
I was on holiday in Hermanus when the day the bike arrived, so a quick trip to Cape Town, collected the bike, drove it to my garage, put it away and back to Hermanus for a very frustrating couple of days waiting to get my hands on her again.  I'll be honest, there were a couple more scrathes than I had anticipated, but I'm over it now.
Almost a moneth later now and I am LOVING IT! :ricky:
Bought my new helmets, got rid of the old bike, and now using the bike daily in and around Cape Town.  Found a bit of a 4x4 trail road close to my work in the mountains where I've gone a few times and that was awesome too.  I must just remind myself that I'm not on a trail bike  :o from time to time.

COUPLE OF QUESTIONS:
The doo and the usual suspects have been checked and fixed.
There is a 'kill' switch on the kick stand, but it only seems to work some of the time.  This doesn't really annoy me, but it will when that switch stops working on the "OFF" side of the switch - in which case I'll be stuck!  Should I have someone disconnect that switch completely or should it be ok?
The other worrying thing is that it doesn't have a kick start.  Is this not something which is usually standard on these models?  I can see where it should be, but nothing's there?  Is this something i will have to have put on sooner rahter than later?
Is there any way to get rid of scratches on hte plastics?  I know it's very natural to have some scrathes on the sides from boots and so on, but it would be great if i could get rid of some of them...any tricks or tips?

Cool dogs, I'll hopefully be positng something more "trip" related soon!

"FUGLY" se gat man!  Sy's myne en ek is leif vir haar! 
Sy's rooi en nie donders Oranje nie
Sy't nie 'n 'checkered flag' op die tank nie.
Sy't net daai 3 mooi letters - K L R
KLR = Kak Lekker Ryding

Offline Just Blip It!

• Forum Vendor
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • www.adventureriderssa.co.za
Re: You might call it "FUGLY", but I don't
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 08:46:58 am »
May not be the best looking bike, but they are very capable and reliable! Enjoy!!
Riding Africa's lesser traveled tracks, discovering true adventure!
2007 KTM990 Adventure S
2012 KTM 990R Adventure.

Offline Groenie

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Ons gaan nou ry
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 09:03:27 am »
Fuggem all, I think it a good looking bike
Don't look back, that's not where you're going.

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 09:20:49 am »
There is a 'Heat gun' trick to remove the scratches in the plastic but I'm not sure how.

The KLR comes 'Without' a kick start, stop looking for one. The last 600+cc to my memory with kick was the KTM 640. Never needed one and if you ever having trouble with a dead battery you will just need to push start it. Gr8 bikes!

Offline WabbitKiLR

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 09:33:43 am »
Congrats Stoffies! Many safe kilometers with her :)

Offline GlenInk

• Elliot`s only
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLE 500
  • R.I.P. 02/02/2012
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 10:20:07 am »
Fuggem all, I think it a good looking bike

I'm with Groenie on this ! Great looking bike!
Quote from: buzzlightyear
"Does your ass not get jealous of all the crap that comes out of your mouth?" 

Put brain into gear before opening mouth !   Believe it, cos its true !     Yamaha IT 200; Kawasaki KLE 500 The Ox Wagon  

Offline dassie

• live life extremely
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 10:20:17 am »
So, after a few months my search was ended right here on the Wilddog website when I bought the 2006 KLR that DocKLR was advertising.  Not having seen the bike and acting on the words of a complete stranger, I paid for the bike and Doc sent it down on the train in Cape Town.
I was on holiday in Hermanus when the day the bike arrived, so a quick trip to Cape Town, collected the bike, drove it to my garage, put it away and back to Hermanus for a very frustrating couple of days waiting to get my hands on her again.  I'll be honest, there were a couple more scrathes than I had anticipated, but I'm over it now.
Almost a moneth later now and I am LOVING IT! :ricky:
Bought my new helmets, got rid of the old bike, and now using the bike daily in and around Cape Town.  Found a bit of a 4x4 trail road close to my work in the mountains where I've gone a few times and that was awesome too.  I must just remind myself that I'm not on a trail bike  :o from time to time.

COUPLE OF QUESTIONS:
The doo and the usual suspects have been checked and fixed.
There is a 'kill' switch on the kick stand, but it only seems to work some of the time.  This doesn't really annoy me, but it will when that switch stops working on the "OFF" side of the switch - in which case I'll be stuck!  Should I have someone disconnect that switch completely or should it be ok?
The other worrying thing is that it doesn't have a kick start.  Is this not something which is usually standard on these models?  I can see where it should be, but nothing's there?  Is this something i will have to have put on sooner rahter than later?
Is there any way to get rid of scratches on hte plastics?  I know it's very natural to have some scrathes on the sides from boots and so on, but it would be great if i could get rid of some of them...any tricks or tips?

Cool dogs, I'll hopefully be positng something more "trip" related soon!

Congrats on a great buy from a great supplier. Grahm really knows his stuff on those bikes, i take mine to him for a service. 500 Km away from me, but worth it.Tip on the plastics, when i clean mine, i use silcone spray. You apply everytime the bike is washed, and the scratches dont go away. My fugly was pink when i bought her, she looks newer after every aplication.

uhhh yes doctor, i know im adicted.....

Offline dassie

• live life extremely
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 10:23:04 am »
ok dont know what happened there
Any way, congrats on a great bike. dr KLR knows those bikes well, i take mine to him as well for repairs etc. Its 500 km away but worth it.
Tip on the plastic. I use silicone spray every time after a cleanup. Myne was pink when i bought it, but it loks newer every time.The scratches stay unfortunately, but after a while you dont even notice them any more.
uhhh yes doctor, i know im adicted.....

Offline Crab

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 10:23:45 am »

There is a 'kill' switch on the kick stand, but it only seems to work some of the time.  This doesn't really annoy me, but it will when that switch stops working on the "OFF" side of the switch - in which case I'll be stuck!  Should I have someone disconnect that switch completely or should it be ok?

With the bike in gear and idling, hold the clutch lever all the way in. Extend the side stand, the engine should still be running, let the clutch lever out slowly like you are going to pull off, the engine should cut out at this time. That is about normal operation. Side stand switch has not been a problem on my bike and it is already on more than 50 000km

Is there any way to get rid of scratches on hte plastics?  I know it's very natural to have some scrathes on the sides from boots and so on, but it would be great if i could get rid of some of them...any tricks or tips?
If they are very minor marks, you can polish them out with buffing compound.
If they are a bit deeper, polish them out with very fine water paper. This will leave the surface of the plastic looking dull. Use a heat gun to restore the gloss finish. A certain amount of skill is needed to do this or you will distort the plastic.
Look for a shooting star and see Lynda's trail and remember all the great places you shared with her,she will never forget what she shared with you and will show you that in every starry night .

Offline Dirty Boy

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Son, thats not how I showed you......
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 10:29:35 am »
ok dont know what happened there
Any way, congrats on a great bike. dr KLR knows those bikes well, i take mine to him as well for repairs etc. Its 500 km away but worth it.
Tip on the plastic. I use silicone spray every time after a cleanup. Myne was pink when i bought it, but it loks newer every time.The scratches stay unfortunately, but after a while you dont even notice them any more.

I do the same with mine and it looks great.
Bloody good bike, not the best looking, fastest, lightest, blingest........etc .. but best smile/Rand. Oh and when something needs replacing, check prices from Kawasaki for OE parts, you may be pleasantly surprised
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 10:29:57 am by Dirty Boy »

Offline desert dueler

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 10:40:52 am »
scratches to a KLR are what make up is to a women.

Offline Stoffies82

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 02:26:18 pm »
Thanks for clearing up that kick start bussiness - let's hope i never have to push start her.

scratches to a KLR are what make up is to a women.

Love that!!!

I think I'll just keep the heat gun in it's box for now...but thanks for the advice.  I'll be putting some silicone spray on there next time it's washed.

"FUGLY" se gat man!  Sy's myne en ek is leif vir haar! 
Sy's rooi en nie donders Oranje nie
Sy't nie 'n 'checkered flag' op die tank nie.
Sy't net daai 3 mooi letters - K L R
KLR = Kak Lekker Ryding

Offline Pleco

• Interesting experiences in the DRC
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • What happened to the rest?
    • Bekker
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 07:00:56 pm »
Take out the cable from the stand to the switch.

Mine was fine, until I started riding in the sand. Then the cable got stuck. Had to remove the cable to get going again.

Just don't forget the sstand out before you pull off. (That should only happen once!  :imaposer:)

Lots of mods can be done to the bike. Crashbars or IMS tank first then progressive front springs, then lots of other options after that!

Enjoy the bike, join the dogs on the rides!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 07:01:26 pm by Pleco »
HP2 HPN Smile generator
(Sold)BMW 1200GS. (Old bike, Old rider, New engine)
(Sold)Kawasaki: The art of arriving! 
If you have to watch the road more than the scenery, then you are riding too fast!

Offline punisher

• DILLIGAF
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 07:18:06 pm »
congrats 

never owned one .. but hve always loved them .... specially the ones before the lates model  .... i think they look the part
 :thumleft:
just wanna have fun , and ride ... and ....... ride

Offline DOCTOR KLR

• Are You Living to Die OR DYING TO LIVE?
  • DOCTOR KLR
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 07:31:23 pm »
Stoffies,follow the wires from the side stand,join the 2 wires and insulate,side stand switch sorted.PLS always check oil levels.ENJOY
''Walkerville Rangers'and''PATHFINDERS' 86 KLR600,93 KLX650,06 KLR650 ,08 KLX450,04 BWS100,1983 KLR600(chassis #000181&000182)KLRR650 Versys

Offline DOCTOR KLR

• DOCTOR KLR
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 07:34:26 pm »
Stoffies,a pic of my FUGLY
''Walkerville Rangers'and''PATHFINDERS' 86 KLR600,93 KLX650,06 KLR650 ,08 KLX450,04 BWS100,1983 KLR600(chassis #000181&000182)KLRR650 Versys

Offline punisher

• DILLIGAF
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 07:36:54 pm »
Stoffies,a pic of my FUGLY

thats a naaaaaice one
just wanna have fun , and ride ... and ....... ride

Offline DOCTOR KLR

• DOCTOR KLR
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 07:42:14 pm »
Thanks Punisher,we must push Grunt to do another outride to Heidelberg again.

Offline GRUNT

• Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Grunt
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 07:45:37 pm »
This is mine!
I am pure Krogan,you should be in awe!

Offline DOCTOR KLR

• DOCTOR KLR
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 07:48:14 pm »
Welcome back Grunt