1200km round trip Karoo to Coast - 2 x 250cc and another bike

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vellies

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki Djebel 250XC
Ironman decided to sell his bike cos it is standing too much and he started fantasizing about shooting hijackers and took up combat shooting. The DRZ 400 was already on Gumtree and I recommended we do one last trip. It was on. A lekker Karoo to Coast trip. Accommodation was organised, route was set and ….. oh shit Ironman got a hit on his bike and the bloke sounded seriously serious. So there you have it. We were due to leave on Friday but on Wednesday Ironman became man without a ride. Damn!
Well boet then you have to rent a bike. But things change quickly when Ironman gets an itch and the long and the short is that come Friday morning 9h30 Lynn Schroeder BMW from George delivered  a 650 X Challenge to its new owner. The Ironman had a beeeg smile and we headed past Uitenhage to the Cockscomb turn-off. First stop and first pic

m_IMG_0032.jpg

Soon after we turned onto the gravel road there was evidence of recent rains which spoiled us to a smallscale Namakwaland. Normally dry hills were green with plenty purple vygies but the crossings were still dry crossings  :) Ironman enjoyed his new bike so much that he overshot the turnoff and we had to wait a while for him to realise we were not behind him.

m_IMG_0035.jpg

We hooked  a right at Springbokvlakte making our way to Haaspoort

m_IMG_0036.jpg

It was my first time through there and was glad we included it. A nice tight kloof/poort bith beautiful rocky hangs. So we were on our way to Baroe and then Klipplaat but reaching the tar we realised that Steytlerville and it’s filling station and hotel mad for an appealing argument. There was just no way we were going to roll in the same way as the postman and we opted to come over the iron bridge

m_IMG_0041.jpg

The Royal Hotel served up a wholesome burger and a very refreshing Windhoek Light.
Thereafter we stopped at the local waterhole to pick up some refreshments for the evening in the kloof. We were staying at a farm called Spreeufontein in the owners well kept secret hide-out.  Completely private and with the fire going it was the first of 3 awesome evenings.

m_IMG_0047.jpg

m_IMG_0043.jpg

The next morning we left for Oudtshoorn via Fullarton

m_IMG_0055-1.jpg

m_IMG_0059-1.jpg

The Grootrivier had good water

m_IMG_0061.jpg

Arriving at Fullarton we found the real rural setup with the local general dealer and the post office all being at the train station which is actually just a siding.

m_IMG_0062.jpg

From here we continued on gravel to Willowmore staying far away from the well known cement road between Steytlerville and Willowmore. Random patches of daisies beautified the roadside.

m_IMG_0078.jpg

Purple was also present

m_IMG_0075.jpg

And I could not get a bed of roses so tried the Karoo alternative

m_IMG_0079.jpg

m_IMG_0071.jpg

In Willowmore we roared into town and some looked at us as if we were Hells Angels. We sat down to a coffee shop breakfast and the fanciest water for the day

m_IMG_0073.jpg

m_IMG_0074.jpg

After breakfast we continued on a gravel road to nowhere which had us land up at Meiringspoort

m_IMG_0082.jpg

We did not realise how close we were to the Swartberg pass else we would have taken that route. We travelled to De Rust from where we took a gravel road that had us join the tar at Schoemans Poort.

m_IMG_0086.jpg

Bluesteel said he’d never been to The Kango Caves on his bike and neither were we so that is exactly where we went. Just to say we “were here”

m_IMG_0089.jpg

We were going to sleep over with some friends of mine in Oudtshoorn and we had to get to the “men’s pharmacy” for some “medication” for the evening and saddle sores. Luckily none of us ploughed anywhere on the gravel roads during the day and we were thankful that this silly pose was the closest we got to ploughing

m_IMG_0091.jpg

So we had quite a bit of gravel behind us by now and Ironman threatened to kill a sheep for its’ skin. Apparently the lovely ride of the new X Challenge started to become a true pain in the arse and sitting down on a broad seat for the evening was only too comfortable.

m_IMG_0092.jpg

The next morning Bluesteel sacrificed his tiny blow up pillow  to Ironman’s backside and it was strapped to the X Challenge with a tie-down. At the next stop it was obvious on Ironman’s face that the plan was working 
From Oudtshoorn we followed more gravel to cross the tar at the entry to the Montague Pass. Beautiful road that wound between ostrich farms. The weather was partly cloudy which was very comfortable to ride. No matter how many times you’ve been through the Montague pass it still stays a beaut with a picture a must.

m_IMG_0115.jpg

m_IMG_0107.jpg

m_IMG_0104.jpg

In George we stopped for fish & chips on the pavement but a man with a X Challenge cannot sit on a pavement or eat without sunglasses 

m_IMG_0121.jpg

m_IMG_0122.jpg

Tummy full and thirst quenched we turned of @ Saasfeld to take the road of The 7 Passes. It was a first for me and cannot wait to take swambo through there in the cage. I never knew of this lovely route.

m_IMG_0125.jpg

m_IMG_0124.jpg

Now I can also say I’ve been to Karatara but cannot say that it was an enriching visit  Bluesteel found the ground to be uneven and laid his bike to rest.

m_IMG_0127.jpg

At Knysna we were not familiar with the area called Kom se Pad and entered the Prins Alfred pass just outside Knysna. The road was not very dusty and we enjoyed the scenic route through De Vlugt. We stopped at that place that women say us men cannot find. For once I found a g-spot.

m_IMG_0132.jpg

m_IMG_0140.jpg

It started to drizzle and we made off to Louterwater where we stayed for the night. Louterwater Landgoed are the owners of a jewel of a spot. For a measely R90 per person the firewood was even included.

m_IMG_0145.jpg

m_IMG_0142.jpg

m_IMG_0147.jpg

m_IMG_0150.jpg

The next morning we were on our last stretch back to PE. With the tar road of the Langkloof not being normal boring tar we were content to ride the black stuff to Kareedouw before we stopped at Altelekker for breakfast.

m_IMG_0154.jpg

While we were eating the mayor came past in his late model HP 1

m_IMG_0153.jpg

We entered the gravel road again at Assegaaibosch. The first part was fine but once we turned off on the Zuuranys road it was concentration all the way. It was the first time that I have ever ridden on golf balls for kms on end. It was fun for a while but then it became very tiring. I much rather ride Baviaans in and outbefore I do that 15kms that fealt like 40.

I am ashamed to say that at last it was tar when we got to Humansdorp but now we were ready to go home. The solid stuff was very welcome and we made up some time. It was amoerse nice trip with two great friends. We were once again blessed that we did a few kms short of 1200kms over the 4 days and we had absolutely no problems, not even a puncture. For the record the bikes were my Suzuki Djebel XC 250, Bluesteel’s Yamaha TT250 and Ironman’s BMW X-Challenge. There is a lot of fun to be had on a reliable 250 for sure.

Thank you very much to Bluesteel and Ironman for your great company. The train trip is definitely in the planning for 2012.