20 000km's with the 12GSA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oetie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
On Wednesday, shortly after 12 on the R21 on my way back to Petoorsdorp from Boksburg, we've hit 20 000km's!! This was done in 10 months, and this is our story so far... ::)

Around June/July lastg year I finaly decided that it was time to get a bike. The traffic on the M1 between Centurion and Parktown is known to all and I could no longer stand the idea of spending up to 3 hours a day commuting :mad:

I started to look around at the various options, and at that stage I looked at the 990 and the 1200GS...I just could not make up my mind ??? ??? I then stumbled onto the WD sight, and my productivity went to the moon  ;D

One Saturday I stopped at the Lifestyle Centre and looked at the 1200GS. Right next to it however was the new 1200 Adventure and when I sat on it I was already sold without the sales guy opening his mouth ;D ;D

My decision was confirmed when I read Lucky Strikers report in his Adventure and the BIG wait started. :(

In the meantime |I sorted the learners and finance out and went for a days training at the BMW training centre at Zwartkops on a 1200GS Lifestyle Centre provided for me.

The adventure was the first bike that I bought/owned and the waiting was driving me crazy, especially sitting in the traffic with all the bikes going passed every morning and afternoon :mad:

At last I received my call that I could come and fetch the bike, the big day was 27 September 2006, and what a beauty ;D

I was VERY nervious when I started her up the first time.... was afraid I was going to make my name @rse by stalling, or worse taking a tumbel :-[. From there the 10 odd kilometres home on the highway was taken very carefully to stay out of harms way...

Since then I have been commuting daily, either between Centurion and our offices in Parktown or to client's premises. My day started on a high and ended on a high with the rides ;D ;D

My first trip undertaken was in November when I had to attend a conference at Champagne Sports Resort. There was NO way I would get into a bus for the trip down there and back if I could do it on the bike :eek:
What an unbelievable experience it was ;D Struggled a bit with cross winds that caught me once or twice off guard :eek: but overall it was WOW!!

I stopped at the Sterkfontein dam on my way there

Did some riding in the area when I had time (not nearly enough ::))

On my way back I went through Golden Gate ;D, and received my first speed fine (R500) in Bethlehem :mad:

My next outing was on the TT breakfast run arranged by KalahariBen. I was quite nervious as it would be my first dirt trip that I undertook. The run was to Loskopdam and a wonderful experience.

Topbike journalists went on the trip with us and I ended up in the March edition of Topbike ;D

In February I went for my license, past the first time round and changed the TKC's after 8 800km's for Anakees.

Then it was the famous RDR noob ride.....

I also did the CMA Ride for the Son ride at the Riverside Mixer where Stefan (my son) and I took a massive tumble in loose sand on our first ride together.....Sorry no pic's of this.... :-[

The tumble did not stop him from riding with me. Stefan on Breedt's neck, my riding partner, best buddy and greatest supporter (eventhought I caused us to tumble in the sand...)

My longest ride was to Greytown for the Mighty Men Conference held by Angus Buchan of Faith Like Potatoes. I should have bought the panniers with the bike..... :(

Beginning of June we went to Memel with Adventurer and the other dogs. This was a perfect bonding opportunity for dad and son and when I asked him if he wanted to go the answer was YES,YES,YES!! His kid was not yet fully sorted. I got him riding pants from Adventurer and bought him boots from Extreme. The week before the trip he put on the boots as he got home frm school, took it off when he had to go for a bath and put it on again until he went to bed. In the beginning when he walked it looked as if he cr@pped in his pants, by the Sunday morning at Memel he ran around in the boots as if they were takkies ;D

Peaches and Plothond approaching

Peaches passing

Plothond and wyfie

At Verkykerskop I bought Stefan a kettie due to the influence of a certain wyfie.. and at every stop since then, the kettie was the first to come out!!

Going throught the tunnel was one of many highlights of the weekend!

My riding buddy on the way back home

And last, but definitaly not the least, is my assistant always willing to wash the bike when dirty. ;D

Shopping list for the future:
Panniers
HID globes as I frequently travel early mornings and at night (already with Adventurer ;D)
GPS
Tank bag with power for cellphone, Ipod etc
Comms system in the helmet(s)