Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Sooo, the Dakar is back, renamed, revamped...now the Sertao  (Read 4879 times)

Offline cloudgazer

• RPMods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
    • fontera
Re: Sooo, the Dakar is back, renamed, revamped...now the Sertao
« Reply #100 on: January 25, 2012, 02:24:40 pm »
We wouldnt have had this discussion if BMW beefed up the front forks, made the tank 22liters, and got rid of that farking ridiculous headlight.

The Dakkie is a proven design in it's market segment, but you HAVE to innovate, even if you re-launch an old model.

Then you can charge R90k for it and no-one will complain.

Slapping new plastics on is nice, but for us that know a thing or two about bikes, it's not enough.

But it will be a hit with first-time buyers because of price, heritage and after-sales service.

You are right - we'd be having a very different discussion. Everybody would be lambasting BMW for putting a R90k price tag on a single  :deal:

Everyone has a gripe - except those that actually own or have owned a Dakar  :imaposer:

Agree with both.

But the bike is aimed at first time buyers... for people that know a thing or two about bikes, know they'll need to farkle it.

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #101 on: January 25, 2012, 02:32:03 pm »
We wouldnt have had this discussion if BMW beefed up the front forks, made the tank 22liters, and got rid of that farking ridiculous headlight.

The Dakkie is a proven design in it's market segment, but you HAVE to innovate, even if you re-launch an old model.

Slapping new plastics on is nice, but for us that know a thing or two about bikes, it's not enough.

But it will be a hit with first-time buyers because of price, heritage and after-sales service.

You are right - we'd be having a very different discussion. Everybody would be lambasting BMW for putting a R90k price tag on a single  :deal:

Everyone has a gripe - except those that actually own or have owned a Dakar  :imaposer:

Agree with both.

But the bike is aimed at first time buyers... for people that know a thing or two about bikes, know they'll need to farkle it.

everyone bitches about suspension - but of the 100 people that bitch about the dakar's suspension - 10 people will maybe buy it. of those 10 people - 1 will ride it in such a way that the suspension reaches its limits. that 1 person can then spend the extra 15k to sort it out  :pot:

besides, to be quite honest, if you find yourself reaching the maximum of a bike's ability you have bought the wrong bike. the day I realised my Dakar couldn't do what I wanted it to, I changed bikes and was happy - but then I did a trippie on my XChallenge and I missed the comfort of the Dakar a bit. No bike will do it all, how many times must it be said?

having said that, yes, you could fault the Dakar's weight and nicer suspension would be great... but why are dual sport riders prepared to spend thousands to get a more stripped down DS bike (like a KTM 690) to a more tour friendly setup, but not prepared to spend the same on a porky pie like the dakar to make it more aggro?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 02:33:53 pm by the_wes »

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2012, 02:55:37 pm »

Everyone has a gripe - except those that actually own or have owned a Dakar  :imaposer:

Agree with both.

everyone bitches about suspension - but of the 100 people that bitch about the dakar's suspension - 10 people will maybe buy it. of those 10 people - 1 will ride it in such a way that the suspension reaches its limits. that 1 person can then spend the extra 15k to sort it out  :pot:

besides, to be quite honest, if you find yourself reaching the maximum of a bike's ability you have bought the wrong bike. the day I realised my Dakar couldn't do what I wanted it to, I changed bikes and was happy - but then I did a trippie on my XChallenge and I missed the comfort of the Dakar a bit. No bike will do it all, how many times must it be said?

having said that, yes, you could fault the Dakar's weight and nicer suspension would be great... but why are dual sport riders prepared to spend thousands to get a more stripped down DS bike (like a KTM 690) to a more tour friendly setup, but not prepared to spend the same on a porky pie like the dakar to make it more aggro?
Spot on Wes :thumleft:
No matter what the pro's or cons or this bke is someone will buy it.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline nemodakar

« Reply #103 on: January 25, 2012, 03:02:24 pm »
It's amazing how many people are standing in line to have a go at the Dakar. How many has actually ridden, or in the least , owned one?

The Wes nailed it. It is a very under estimated bike and very few can actually ask more than it can give. If applied for the proper purpose.

Pity BM did not use this chance to make the odd upgrade.

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Forum Whore
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2012, 03:07:18 pm »
Pity BM did not use this chance to make the odd upgrade.

well, the engine for one is an upgrade. but yeah, they could have done a bit more i guess.

what bugs me MORE is what's coming out of husqvarna's stable at the moment in the way of concept bikes......

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #105 on: January 25, 2012, 03:17:12 pm »
Everyone has a gripe

Ja thats because I (and I suspect many others) expect a lot from BMW, they are the gorillas in the market place, they shouldn't be serving up left overs, just because they know people will buy them!

Its self defeatist to say OK the suspension needs upgrading but not everyone will use the improvements to their full extent so its OK for BMW not to address that in the new model etc.  

But anyway no point in arguing - I sold mine long ago  :ricky:
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline bonova

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Get busy living or get busy dying
« Reply #106 on: January 25, 2012, 04:15:09 pm »

Agree with both.

and then we took that Dakar of yours (unchanged - and on 30000km i think) and beat it to a pulp over 15000km of harsh roads through southern africa and lots count of the number of falls and HARD crashes, including one that ended in a broken foot for the owner, and it gave no serious problems at all, rode all the fesh-fesh and sand and mud and rocks, carried all the weight...etc etc.
So i agree: It has it's short comings, but It's plenty capable  :thumleft:
BMW F650 DAKAR ; BMW 650 X-Challenge ; YAMAHA 660 TENERE ; BMW 800 GS KTM 200EXC. Now - KTM 950 Adventure S, KTM 250 XC-W and BMW 450 Rally

if u are interested in something no matter what it is, go at it full speed ahead, luke warm is no good, hot is no good either, white hot and passionate is the only thing to be...

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #107 on: January 25, 2012, 04:30:31 pm »
Love it or hate it, the BMW 650 GS single cylinder was bullet proof, the weapon of choice for Trans Africa trips, very economical, and tough. Yes, it a few issues, but only one with the potential to leave you stranded, the water pump gears.
Yes, it is relatively heavy, but how many actually use it in such a way that weight is an issue? The popularity of this bike before it was discontinued says a lot about how good they are. There is only one other real option for Trans Africa trips, the Yamaha Tenere Z, and that is mainly because of it's bigger fuel tank.
This issue of the supposed 14L tank, the specs say 14L standing, but I'm assuming that excludes the 3L reserve, making it 17L, the same as the previous models....but lets wait and see, it is being relaunched later in February.

;D :D I think I sense Adventurer actually feeling a bit
 sorry for BMW.  :imaposer: For a KTM nut - Good on ya!

Haha, you know me, I say it as it is, BMW do really make fantastic bikes, all depends what is required of them, often the wrong people have the wrong expectation of a bike, then say it is a kak bike, there are no kak bikes, there are just some that are more suited to a specific task than others, I don't ride a KTM because I think it is the best bike, it is just the best at what I want from a bike.
The Dakar is a legend IMO, yes it has certain weaknesses, but all bikes have weaknesses somewhere, yes, BMW could have done something with this or that with the revised 2012 version, but hey, why mess with something that works?
If I had to choose a trans - continent 2012 brand new bike, it would be a tough choice between the Dakar and the Tenere Z....
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #108 on: January 25, 2012, 04:49:14 pm »
hey you forgeting the KLR  :pot:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701 Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #109 on: January 25, 2012, 04:53:40 pm »
hey you forgeting the KLR  :pot:

Personally I would not consider the KLR, not that it would not do the distance, I would just not use it.
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline badseed

• Ride the adventure
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • KTM 990S, KTM690R , Vespa 200GT
    • www.wildwood.capetown
« Reply #110 on: January 25, 2012, 05:21:53 pm »
I still can't see the point in paying double the price of an XR or DR and getting nothing extra. Eight years ago I decided to try this dual sport thing and the obvious first port of call was Donfords BMW who gladly gave me a Dakar to take home and test. At the traffic light just beyond Donfords I almost fell over (see top heavy wide bike). The bike felt slow with scary cornering habits , so I popped in at Baas Attie up the road for a second opinion. We went through the bike and were disappointed by he poor finishes like cheap fasteners, cheap sprockets and chain, dodgy handlebars etc on an upmarket priced bike. Landed up with an XT660 (great bike ,460000kms in 2 years trouble free ) before a mate gave me a ride on a 950S.  Oh and after an hour with the Dakar I took it back a day early... Nuff said
Owner WildWood Motorcycle Tours South Africa

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #111 on: January 25, 2012, 05:45:38 pm »
I still can't see the point in paying double the price of an XR or DR and getting nothing extra. 

Not quite double.

And if you feel OK to compare air-cooled, carb-feb motors with water-cooled EFI motors, I can see why you dont see where the extra money went.
Not to mention vastly better brakes, ABS (if that's your thing) heated grips, excellent seat, OEM luggage options, comfort, technology, etc.

And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #112 on: January 25, 2012, 07:04:39 pm »
I still can't see the point in paying double the price of an XR or DR and getting nothing extra. 

Not quite double.

And if you feel OK to compare air-cooled, carb-feb motors with water-cooled EFI motors, I can see why you dont see where the extra money went.
Not to mention vastly better brakes, ABS (if that's your thing) heated grips, excellent seat, OEM luggage options, comfort, technology, etc.

Kaboef, why then is BMW's 1200 GSA more expensive than the Sten?

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #113 on: January 25, 2012, 07:13:55 pm »

Not quite double.

You should compasre the STEn price with the GS, not the GSA....and it's price has gone up....not good IMO.

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 - The next adventure
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
« Reply #114 on: January 25, 2012, 07:15:28 pm »
Waars Michnus?  :peepwall:  :pot:
Great news, my book 'Sniffer' has seen the light of day on Amazon Kindle!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N664WIH
Check out my website for free short stories!
http://www.leondekock.com/short_stories.html

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #115 on: January 25, 2012, 07:15:46 pm »
The Dakar/Sertao is undoubtedly a very reliable workhorse, with very good[excellent] touring capability as far as the singles go. BUT, the BMW is basically a light make-over of an exsisting model, with a long production run behind it. The 660Z is a all-new design. To price the BM at the same level as the XTZ is certainly hoping that BMW fans are still blind.
The XR650L does [should not even feature here, it is a South American model with lower standard of finishing and an ashtmatic 32horsepower. What uncorking are you talking about that will allow this Honda to run with the others? Cannot be done.

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #116 on: January 25, 2012, 07:24:51 pm »

Not quite double.

Where in my post did I mention a 1200GSA or a Sten?   :dontknow:

A bit early in the evening for the strong stuff, Danie.   :nono:
 ;D ;D
And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

Offline RedWolf

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #117 on: January 25, 2012, 08:02:45 pm »
I still can't see the point in paying double the price of an XR or DR and getting nothing extra. Eight years ago I decided to try this dual sport thing and the obvious first port of call was Donfords BMW who gladly gave me a Dakar to take home and test. At the traffic light just beyond Donfords I almost fell over (see top heavy wide bike). The bike felt slow with scary cornering habits , so I popped in at Baas Attie up the road for a second opinion. We went through the bike and were disappointed by he poor finishes like cheap fasteners, cheap sprockets and chain, dodgy handlebars etc on an upmarket priced bike. Landed up with an XT660 (great bike ,460000kms in 2 years trouble free ) before a mate gave me a ride on a 950S.  Oh and after an hour with the Dakar I took it back a day early... Nuff said

WOW, 460,000km on a xt660. well done :thumleft:
Trust that little voice in your head that says 'Wouldn't it be interesting if...'; And then do it.

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Forum Whore
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #118 on: January 25, 2012, 08:03:52 pm »

in 2 years nogal  :deal:

Offline RedWolf

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #119 on: January 25, 2012, 08:05:51 pm »

in 2 years nogal  :deal:
Ja, probably slept on the bike aswell because he spent alot of time in that seat.. :imaposer:
Trust that little voice in your head that says 'Wouldn't it be interesting if...'; And then do it.