Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Sooo, the Dakar is back, renamed, revamped...now the Sertao  (Read 4853 times)

Offline cloudgazer

• RPMods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
    • fontera
Re: Sooo, the Dakar is back, renamed, revamped...now the Sertao
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2012, 09:43:09 am »
<yawn>

While this may be the thinking man's adventure bike (fuel capacity aside), it remains a fugly and a boring one at that.
(But that of course is my personal, un-asked for and clearly uninformed opinion)

:biggrin:

Why oh why would BEE EM bring this boy back? Will it really boost sales that much?

For ninety grand one could get some serious equipment that would allow for instant involuntary testicle turning . . . certainly something that did not occur when I saw old Lazarus again.

thats not really the point of this bike.

As many have said if you're into endure type stuff, get something else... if you want excitement, get something else... if you want a reliable, very capable, touring machine, then you're looking in the right place.

Offline Plaashaas

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2012, 09:48:43 am »
<yawn>

While this may be the thinking man's adventure bike (fuel capacity aside), it remains a fugly and a boring one at that.
(But that of course is my personal, un-asked for and clearly uninformed opinion)

:biggrin:

Why oh why would BEE EM bring this boy back? Will it really boost sales that much?

For ninety grand one could get some serious equipment that would allow for instant involuntary testicle turning . . . certainly something that did not occur when I saw old Lazarus again.

correct

same thing honda is doing with XR 650

Current rides: F800GS x 2

Id rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle.

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2012, 09:55:13 am »

thats not really the point of this bike.

As many have said if you're into endure type stuff, get something else... if you want excitement, get something else... if you want a reliable, very capable, touring machine, then you're looking in the right place.

well said. decide what sort of riding you want to do, purchase accordingly. so many people slag off the dakar, but those same people ride a certain way, and the reason they slag it off is because it doesn't suit THEIR riding.

we all have different needs - buy the bike that suits yours  :thumleft:

Offline tok-tokkie

• Bike: Yamaha TW200
  • Green Point
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2012, 10:03:16 am »
What is the price of the Tenere?  If you are objective when choosing a bike what would possibly make you select the BMW as against the Yamaha?

I have a Dakar.  The only thing that would make me consider it in preference is it has ABS. (But the BMW abs is way overweight & oversized & the switch arrangement is plain absurd.)  This bike is now an ancient design.  That they have not updated it mechanically reflects what a flop the X bikes were. (OK the oil return line has been sorted & alternator upgraded).  As leCap says the glaring fault of the unsealed steering bearings & chip protection for the forks persists.  Have they fitted a sealed battery or are they going to still leak battery acid onto the engine?  Bike is overweight and a bigger fueltank is required as Yamaha have set a new standard.
I dislike the BMW lop-sided headlights.

Offline bonova

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Get busy living or get busy dying
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2012, 10:03:22 am »
It's not for everyone, but I think it looks quite nice? don't think i'd buy one tho - especially at the price. I do have alot of respect for the old ones (never seen a bike dropped and crashed so much and still have no issues!  :imaposer: ) and the new one is basically the old one. The engine - if it's the x-range one develops 2KW more i think?
I also really like the yamaha (especially for the tank!!!), but i'd be interested to see the power difference (and fuel consumption difference), cause i felt the Yamaha was less powerful than my x-challenge, but that might have been the weight (i do seem to remember the KW diff being about 5KW?)
Some people will buy yamaha's, some bmw, some kawasaki, honda, ktm etc etc...... and they will all get you where you want to go. buy what you like to ride, and don't diss what others ride, cause chances are, there is a rider on that bike who will outride you and your precious 'best bike in the world that can go anywhere on the sniff of an oil rag at an average of 200km/h)  :imaposer:  :imaposer:
BMW F650 DAKAR ; BMW 650 X-Challenge ; YAMAHA 660 TENERE ; BMW 800 GS KTM 200EXC. Now - KTM 950 Adventure S, KTM 250 XC-W and BMW 450 Rally

if u are interested in something no matter what it is, go at it full speed ahead, luke warm is no good, hot is no good either, white hot and passionate is the only thing to be...

Offline oo7

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2012, 10:10:10 am »
What is the price of the Tenere?  If you are objective when choosing a bike what would possibly make you select the BMW as against the Yamaha?

That's what I would like to know as well.

Specifically buying and using a stock bike for long distance touring in the 650 class, surely the XT660 Tenere must be the obvious choice (assuming the price difference is not that big) between these two?

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Forum Whore
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2012, 10:14:40 am »
The engine - if it's the x-range one develops 2KW more i think?

it IS the X-range engine, I know this for a fact...

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2012, 10:24:53 am »
Different Strokes for Different Folks I guess? Just alot of strokes with the right hand here  ;)
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701 Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline Foot-Peg

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Waar is die grond-paaie hier rond?
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2012, 10:43:08 am »
Jis Honne

Ek weet nie of die nuwe fiets so baie gaan verkoop soos sy voorganger nie maar...

As die tank 14l is, kan julle altyd n rooi Jerry-Can saam ry. Ek doen dit en like dit kwaai.  :laughing4:

My Pa en broer dink dis snaaks, maar ek dink hulle like dit ook!
Bly Bo!!!

Offline lecap

« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2012, 10:48:41 am »
... with 10 000km service intervals...

By the way, the Sertao is not quite simply a re-dressed Dakar. The engine in it is NOT the old F650 single, but rather the version of it found in the X-series bikes - which means it should be a little more lively.

To compare apples wioth apples:

Service interval of the F650's is 10,000km

Service interval of the DR650SE and KLR650 (2008ff) is 6,000km uh oh!

The KLR's 6,000km schedule lists pretty much a thorough pre ride inspection (cleaning a serviceable air filter, checking your oil, brakes & tyres, pretty much the stuff you want to and have to do even more often.
The 6,000 interval for the Suzuki does list an oil change.
Do you really (want to) run your bikes oil for 10,000km ???
The (new) KLR's oil change interval is 12,000km (oh and spare me the oil burner crap). Does that mean the KLR is the best bike of the three?

Rather compare service cost over let's say 50,000km. On a DR you will need 4 oil filters @ R60, and four sets of 2 spark plugs at R70 a tot. Plus 20l of oil, 2sets of chains & sprockets and one or two sets of brake pads.

Compared with the F650GS feel free to add one fuel pressure regulator @ R1,3k, two sets of steering head bearings with some 3 hours of labour each for fitment and adjustment, valve shims and if you're really lucky a set of water pump seals, and impeller & gears also with fitment. Looking at oil. You will save a few litres of oil though ::)

You can service the DR with the two tappet covers in your slim fit denim's pockets and the rest that needs to come off in the dirt on the side of the road. All you need is a feeler gauge and standard tools. No micrometers, no valve shims, no torque wrenches.

Now tell me more about service intervals and which one you think is most suitable for transcontinental travel. Whichever bike you take and regardless of route choices you will have to do one major service between the Cape and Europe.

Re the engine: The X series bikes had significantly different exhausts and intake systems. The conclusion it has the X engine = it's got as much power as the X is not valid as long as it's got the Dakars exhaust and airbox. Throttle response of the Sertao might and hopefully will be better than the old Dakar since afaik they use the X series (or at least updated) engine management.
I do not know if there is significant and performance activemechanical differences between the X650 and the F650 single (read compression, combustion chamber, valve size, port shape, piston weight, balancer weight etc.)
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Forum Whore
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2012, 10:49:21 am »
is IS 14l according to the BMW site. a bit of an oversight on BMW's part - build an "adventure" bike, then shave 3 litres off its tank capacity. The Tenere's tank is 22l, by the way...

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Forum Whore
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2012, 10:51:23 am »

Re the engine: The X series bikes had significantly different exhausts and intake systems. The conclusion it has the X engine = it's got as much power as the X is not valid as long as it's got the Dakars exhaust and airbox. Throttle response of the Sertao might and hopefully will be better than the old Dakar since afaik they use the X series (or at least updated) engine management.
I do not know if there is significant and performance activemechanical differences between the X650 and the F650 single (read compression, combustion chamber, valve size, port shape, piston weight, balancer weight etc.)

I didn't say it'd be as powerful as the X series - just that it should be more lively. tell you what, I'll go ride the G650 GS (the non-Sertao version) and report back  :thumleft:

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2012, 10:53:12 am »
is IS 14l according to the BMW site. a bit of an oversight on BMW's part - build an "adventure" bike, then shave 3 litres off its tank capacity. The Tenere's tank is 22l, by the way...

As is the >2008 KLR's
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline Foot-Peg

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Waar is die grond-paaie hier rond?
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2012, 10:55:00 am »
Dit klimk vir my lecap is mal oor die nuweling in BMW se stal... :3some:
Bly Bo!!!

Offline badseed

• Ride the adventure
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • KTM 990S, KTM690R , Vespa 200GT
    • www.wildwood.capetown
« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2012, 11:05:38 am »
Honda XR650L R50.000
BMW 650 Serato R85/90.00.
Am I missing something other than that the XR is a real dual sport bike?
Owner WildWood Motorcycle Tours South Africa

Offline Pleco

• Interesting experiences in the DRC
  • What happened to the rest?
    • Bekker
« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2012, 11:23:22 am »
Honda XR650L R50.000

Not the same poser value as the BMW.  :peepwall:

Most of us cannot afford the BMW price tag / Service costs / parts costs etc, but its got the poser value. If I had the money, I would buy the BMW, and convert / upgrade it until it can ride offroad like an XR!  :ricky:

Nothing looks more the part than a full touratech fitted BMW. But you will have to win the LOTTO. Probably twice!  :thumleft:
HP2 HPN Smile generator
(Sold)BMW 1200GS. (Old bike, Old rider, New engine)
(Sold)Kawasaki: The art of arriving! 
If you have to watch the road more than the scenery, then you are riding too fast!

Offline Plaashaas

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2012, 11:32:24 am »
Wait wait I know .....if u dont like it ......

dont buy it
Current rides: F800GS x 2

Id rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle.

Offline lecap

« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2012, 11:38:24 am »
Wait wait I know .....if u dont like it ......

dont buy it

This is not really about buy or don't buy but about BMW having performed rather poor and missed the opportunity to sort out flaws before relaunching hte Dakar.
They decided to rather mask the flaws with some black paint, new clocks and a squinting headlight. A missed opportunity IMHO.

A polished turd is still a turd ::)
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2012, 11:40:11 am »
Honda XR650L R50.000

Most of us cannot afford the BMW price tag / Service costs / parts costs etc, but its got the poser value. If I had the money, I would buy the BMW, and convert / upgrade it until it can ride offroad like an XR!  :ricky:

Nothing looks more the part than a full touratech fitted BMW. But you will have to win the LOTTO. Probably twice!  :thumleft:

Naah - IMHO if you are going to spend that sort of money for a mid size dually then you might as well put in a few more sheckles and get the KTM 690 Oryx - klaar. :3some:
(and this coming from a Beemerphile)
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701 Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline Pleco

• Interesting experiences in the DRC
  • What happened to the rest?
    • Bekker
« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2012, 11:41:21 am »
Honda XR650L R50.000

Naah - IMHO if you are going to spend that sort of money for a mid size dually then you might as well put in a few more sheckles and get the KTM 690 Oryx - klaar. :3some:
(and this coming from a Beemerphile)

I suppose you will still need to win the LOTTO twice for that one as well?
HP2 HPN Smile generator
(Sold)BMW 1200GS. (Old bike, Old rider, New engine)
(Sold)Kawasaki: The art of arriving! 
If you have to watch the road more than the scenery, then you are riding too fast!