Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: '97 DR650 worth it?  (Read 465 times)

Offline DJ

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Member of the SSS
'97 DR650 worth it?
« on: January 25, 2012, 01:56:15 pm »
Hey WD's,

I just sold my DRZ and I'm looking at this '97 DR650 on Gumtree, I have 2 WD's going to check the bike out, but is this a good buy? Spoke to the owner and he doesn't seem to keen to drop the price, the bike does need new shock seals and tires.

http://johannesburg.gumtree.co.za/c-Cars-Vehicles-motorcycles-scooters-Suzuki-DR-650-W0QQAdIdZ348903288

All advice and comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Dale
Previously owned: Vuka RM200, Aprilia Pegaso Cube 650, Suzuki DRZ400E, Kawasaki KLE500, Suzuki DR350

Offline volroom

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • I'm loving it
Re: '97 DR650 worth it?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 03:14:15 pm »
looks good Dale, maybe note the differences between pre and post 96 models on http://www.suzukicycles.org/DR-series/DR650.shtml
Scroll down: you'll see the specs for pre 96, and then scroll further down to see specs for post 96

Some guys like the pre 96 models, some like the post 96....can we maybe hear comments on pre VS post 96? That'll be good...
2003 R1150GS

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 04:26:52 pm »
Hi Dale

I had a quick look on Scumtree.

OEM dust and oil fork seals set me back R 200. Did the work myself. And you will need some fork oil!

It also needs dust boots. Polisports could be R 250.

What's the clamp around the top of the fork? Brace?

Looks as if there is an aftermarket exhaust on. Sometimes this is worth nothing.

Had a piece of crap on my'99 when I bought it. Was even more restrictive than OEM. Have an AirAge on now.

Check with the dealer what trade and retail is on this model. This info could help in your negotiations. I always offer halfway between trade and retail. For the low kilos, and if it is in good condition, you could add something.

I paid R 22 000 for my '99 with 24 000 kms on the clock in June 2010. It was, and stil is in a very good condition. New sprockets and chain. Front tyre new, and rear about 80%, when I bought it. It regard myself blessed with this purchase!

Hope you come right!

I am in favour of this bike!

Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE

theotherguy

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 06:54:58 am »
hi Dale
WRT exhaust: i have 2 stock DR exhausts - 1 in near showroom conditiom,  and an airage.
if you buy the bike and want to change the pipe let me know...

Offline MildDog

• Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 09:40:51 am »
I bought a 2005 with 11000km on the clock for R27500. But that was such an unbelievably lucky find. I sold it for more than that a year later.

The price is a bit on the high side, but good DR650's are hard to find. In fact ANY DR650 is a hard thing to find second hand. If you know it's decent and think you'll get good mileage, and you are set on a DR650 - then take it.
I crash test all of my safety gear. Do you?

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 10:48:06 am »
Price is good enough.

Be aware that at 13,000km the bike has probably never seen any decent service (PDI say what? 1,000km and 6,000km oil change, 12,000 not done want to sell it anyway ::) )

If you want to get everything done properly (full service, set shock to your weight, grease rear suspension needle bearings... you 're looking at some work to do. A weekend if you DIY, some R 3,000 if you give it to a good mechanic.

Check steering head bearings and wheel bearings.
Check for oil leaks on rear shock damper piston rod.
Make sure the leaking fork oil seals are not caused by pitted fork tubes neither by someone who thought it's good enough to lower the front by pushing the forks through the triple clamps. This leaves clamp marks on the tubes where you don't want them and can cause the forks to bottom out outer tubes agains triple clamps with irreparable damage to the outer tubes.

Check if the upper drive chain roller assembly broke out of the frame. Good point to shave a Grand or two off the price - not a reason not to buy the bike.
Remove said roller assembly if it's still there. Loctite an M8x10 socket set screw flush into the hole.

Check the drive chain: Most likely still OEM. (DID 525V8). Throw it away asap regardless how good it still seems to be. These chains are cheap quality and have been seen snapping without warning and without being anywhere near the wear limit after as little as 15,000km.
Replace with DID525VX and new sprockets.

Start & switch off and pull fuel hose off tap with tap ON or RES and check if it leaks / flows freely. If yes the vacuum tap does not close. Expensive to replace (R1300) but can be fixed too (fidgety, "not servicable").

Check frame cradle for damges from hard ground contact.
Check crankcase for signs of hard ground contact.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline PEET WEET

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • KTM .. I'F you Hesitate... Accelerate !
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 12:38:09 pm »
Homework done Dale !! ;D Will let you know tomorrow  O0
KTM   --  KRONREIF  TRUNKENPOLZ  MATTIGHOFEN
KTM   --   KARLO TIETO MARIO !!

THE ORIGINAL WHITE  PANT RIDER   !!!
:paw: