My Tiger and updates

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killboy

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph 800 XC
Stealing my content off another forum, here is generally whats gone down.

The Day I got it:
So finally picked it up. Too tired to write anything about it now, except snap a photo or three of my FB profile.

Tiger1.jpg

Tiger2.jpg

Tiger3.jpg

A short while later:
This weekend I bastardised my GPS to fit my bike. Spending another 500 quid on just a waterproof GPS seems silly at the moment... I have a working GPS with all the maps and the like.

So, got the GPS mount from Triumph. Looked at a variety of mounts, and this was the only "OEM" looking mount. The rest stand out too much, and as the bike spends a lot of time on the streets, needed it to look normal. The only thing is, the "car" power supply. I sourced a socket, connected to the battery, and done. I will be sourcing a switched power splitter at some point, but for the upcoming trip, this will do.

The only bastard was to get the window mount to the bike mount. I took the car window mount, unscrewed the TomTom ball joint part, hacksawed the enclosure off, and then spent about an hour ensuring the screw mounts would be deep and flush enough to allow the GPS to slide in and out, while being sturdy.

The pieces
GPS07.jpg

It couldnt be simpler, simply remove one of the brackets on the mirror, and bolt the new one on. I put some grease in, to ensure no rusting or seizing in future.
GPS06.jpg

GPS05.jpg

The workshop :(
GPS01.jpg

GPS02.jpg

Battery connection
GPS03.jpg

The finished setup
GPS04.jpg

Then, a little later

XC is in for a service, and the gave me a.....Street Triple!

Wow, I love this bike. Power delivery is absolutely perfect, sound is fantastic, riding position is decent for me being stupidly tall. Handling is precise at low to decent speeds, becomes skittish at high speeds.

I was starting to get scared I'd chosen the wrong bike..... till I hit the highway. Its not a highway bike, gets to 115mph quickly, but becomes a horrible place to be. Felt like my helmet was being pulled off.

Yes, its a naked, so highway is not what its for, and thats just fine. Only real drawback is the wide turning circle. While trying to negate cars and busses, its actually not easy to make quick turns and go around vehicles.

This would be the perfect bike to complement the XC, allowing it to be the urban run-about.

Oh, and I can positively say that it pics up the front wheel effortlessly in 1st once hitting 8k rpm, and in 2nd if hitting slightly bumpy stuff. 12.5k rpm is something to behold too.  :drool:

StreetTriple0.jpg

StreetTriple1.jpg

StreetTriple2.jpg

StreetTriple3.jpg

StreetTriple4.jpg

XC goes in for the service
XCService.jpg