Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Eish  (Read 1039 times)

Offline Dolf

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
Eish
« on: July 31, 2007, 02:21:16 pm »

So the KLR has developed a slight water leak. Every now and then there‚??s a bit of leak of coolant out the water pump weep hole. I checked the service manual and it says ‚??replace the water pump mechanical seal‚?Ě. Seems like a 30 minute job with three parts required: water pump cover gasket, o-ring and the actual seal. I phone up my friendly dealer to book for the first service and tell them about the problem. They don‚??t have the parts in stock but can get them in a day‚?¶‚?¶great‚?¶BUT the warranty process has to be follow. They strip and inspect then log a warranty claim with KMSA. Three days later KMSA will get back to them and might want to inspect the bike so it has to remain at their premises. Then once KMSA approves the claim they will replace the entire water pump.

So I decide to just order the three little parts (total R160) and pay for it myself so that it‚??s there when they service the bike (not prepared to leave it there for a week). Now I know its standard procedure that I have to pay upfront for the stuff before they will order it but come on, I have just spent R50k with them buying the bike. So when they strip the pump cover and find it‚??s the seal they will replace it but the warranty won‚??t refund me because KMSA has to approve it BEFORE the dealer does the job.

The reason for me not wanting to leave the bike there is who knows what the hell they do to the bike whilst its there? When the KLE went in way way back it was there for a week. When I got it back some bolts were loose and the mechanic took it upon himself to remove some parts. When I enquired about the new found growling induction noise he said he removed the snorkel on the airbox. A couple of weeks later I had the pipe installed in Pta. The dude doing that did the dyno said the KLE was very very lean and it was because if the snorkel being removed (letting more air into the engine).

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
Re: Eish
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 02:27:33 pm »
What a damper on what should be a very good experience surrounding a very cool bike.

:-(

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Steady

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 03:44:51 pm »
Seriously, you have got to go somewhere else to sort your bike. Pay for spares before they will order them? Surely you are joking! Is this the norm with KMSA, I assume you bought a new bike as yours is under warranty.

Removed the snorkel with out you asking him to? WTF!

Please tell me this is not so with Kawasaki bikes.

Offline Dolf

• Race Dog
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 03:57:38 pm »
The snorkel story was on my other bike, the KLE 400. This happened about 3 years ago.

I can confirm that with 2 different dealers they WILL NOT order any parts before they are paid.

I like the KLR and I like Kawasaki. I just don't know if the effort is worth it. I can see a BMW in my future.........I've heard their service is excellent. What about KTM? Damm I like those 950/990 Advs.

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 04:14:14 pm »
It sucks when you have a mechie who thinks he is clever and does things without asking/confirming with you, the owner. It sucks having to pay before ordering. I will not do that. The place I shop at for parts has never given me that attitude, they always phone back when they promised to do so.

In terms of leaving the bike there, it's your call, but seeing that it's under warranty, I would have left it there for them to sort. Then check it out well before leaving, and complain if anything is wrong. Then approach KMSA if still not happy.

I would seriously look for another dealer if I was you.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Steady

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 04:20:53 pm »
The snorkel story was on my other bike, the KLE 400. This happened about 3 years ago.

I can confirm that with 2 different dealers they WILL NOT order any parts before they are paid.

I like the KLR and I like Kawasaki. I just don't know if the effort is worth it. I can see a BMW in my future.........I've heard their service is excellent. What about KTM? Damm I like those 950/990 Advs.

They all have their problems, my next bike however will be the perfect bike from the perfect dealer.

Offline Plothond

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • I was powerslide pozer KING & TV personality
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 05:01:42 pm »

They all have their problems, my next bike however will be the perfect bike from the perfect dealer.

Ridden by the perfect rider with the perfect kit  >:D

Damn, - imagine if that were possible ?  Suppose we can all dream a bit  ;D
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 05:02:19 pm by Plothond »
I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure anymore

The butcher backed into the meat grinder and got a little behind in his work

D7

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 06:23:57 pm »
man,  i don't know what dealership you're going to ,  but you should go to another.
i often order ahead for stuff so that it's there when i get there,  no problems,  ever.
i have never once been asked to pay before hand,  and have cussed the parts guy for not getting things on the list - they still smile when they take my money....
although things have not always gone perfectly (in what relationship do they),  i've been looked after.

Offline Dolf

• Race Dog
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 07:28:15 pm »
man,  i don't know what dealership you're going to ,  but you should go to another.
i often order ahead for stuff so that it's there when i get there,  no problems,  ever.
i have never once been asked to pay before hand,  and have cussed the parts guy for not getting things on the list - they still smile when they take my money....
although things have not always gone perfectly (in what relationship do they),  i've been looked after.

Fourways and DNA. You?

Offline Dolf

• Race Dog
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 07:33:09 pm »
Hmmm the warranty has more interesting fine print. After the first service oil leaks are not covered. Is that standard practise?

D7

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 10:40:39 pm »
4ways too

never had a hassle...

hang on,  actually i had a gripe or 2 with them in our early dealings.
we've always reached a happy ending though.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 10:44:15 pm by D7 »

Offline lecap

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2007, 08:04:39 am »
Asking for pre-payment for orders is pathetic.
Not that I don't understand the practice. I have a customer who ordered three sets of progressive fork springs for KL650A and does not even bother to return e-mails any more. Someone else will buy them. I will probably ask new customers for credit card details to run a preauth. to secure large orders in the future.
But full upfront payment for parts they will fit in their workshop???
If a dealer who just sold you a bike for 50 gorillas asks you to prepay some peanuts for some parts to allow him to order tell him even a burger at McDonalds is COD.

IMHO they should fix the bike presto and for free. And then submit a warranty claim to KMSA to cover their cost.

I can assure you that a KLR's water pump seal typically lasts around 70000 km. This figure is taken from 8 KLR's owned so far. If it goes after only a few thousand kms it's faulty fitment or manufactury and it does not need a rocket scientist to diagnose it.

Then I look at Suzuki South Africa who dont even bother to reply to e-mail. (They had one month already)
And I wonder if I should just change my attitude towards grey imports.
Buy my bikes cheapest.
Import my spares mailordered from the US and Europe. Cheaper and often also faster anyway.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline lecap

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2007, 08:49:54 am »
BTW:
I have the water pump shaft seal in stock. Also the gasket for the pump housing. The o-ring does not have to be replaced. Just be carful to thread the pump impeller off and onto the shaft to avoid damage to the o-ring. The shaft oil seal is industrial standard and available from Bearing Man for a few Rand.
You might also need a clutch cover basket. (Also in stock) I have not done a water pump on a KLR for a while but as far as I remember you will have to work on the loose clutch cover in order to get the shaft seals replaced.

The reason why oil leaks are not covered by the warranty after the first service? Because they are caused by a ham fisted "qualified Kawasaki mechanic"!

I had an alternator on a 2004 KL650A giving up after some seven months / 10000km with a high voltage earth leakage on one stator coil. Electrical parts are not covered by the warranty ... yada ... yada...
I can understand this clause in connection with light bulbs and fuses.
But a fault like the one on my bike after less than a year is faulty manufactury and nothing else.
Then they gave me a free speedometer on warranty for the same bike because my bike apparently was illegaly imported (not conform with SA homologation) by KMSA sporting a MPH speedo. The strong arm of the law?

I had problems with my F 650 GS / Dakar's steering head bearings. At some stage I was confronted with a hefty bill as BMW did not cover the steering head bearing by the warranty any more   ???

Makes me think if a bike warranty is worth more than the paper it's written on.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Dolf

• Race Dog
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2007, 11:25:44 am »
You might also need a clutch cover basket. (Also in stock) I have not done a water pump on a KLR for a while but as far as I remember you will have to work on the loose clutch cover in order to get the shaft seals replaced.

The reason why oil leaks are not covered by the warranty after the first service? Because they are caused by a ham fisted "qualified Kawasaki mechanic"!

For the mechanical seal only a water pump cover gasket is needed. To replace the oil seal is a different story and the clutch cover needs to be removed for that one.

At the first service I'll be standing next to the mechanic while he does the service. This way I know nothing will be buggered up.

Oh and YES, the warranty is not worth the paper it is printed on. The list of exclusions is so long that I'm wondering why I'm servicing it at a dealer.

Offline Jack

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Team Camel Touring
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2007, 07:17:13 am »

For the mechanical seal only a water pump cover gasket is needed. To replace the oil seal is a different story and the clutch cover needs to be removed for that one.

At the first service I'll be standing next to the mechanic while he does the service. This way I know nothing will be buggered up.

Oh and YES, the warranty is not worth the paper it is printed on. The list of exclusions is so long that I'm wondering why I'm servicing it at a dealer.

Can you post a copy of the warranty?...THIS I would like to see.... ;)
Looks like KMSA are not looking to give very good support >:(
Jack

Just another old, washed up, has been, dirt bike rider...who can't ride for $hit!
Member SARL

Offline lecap

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2007, 09:25:43 am »
Quick update on Suzuki SA: I resent my first mail yesterday morning with a comment similar to the one above re. grey imports. Had a reply with apologies (server problems) within one hour and thorough follow up within a day.
Well done Suzuki!

Offline Dolf

• Race Dog
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2007, 03:55:36 pm »

Can you post a copy of the warranty?...THIS I would like to see.... ;)
Looks like KMSA are not looking to give very good support >:(

It's at home. Will post tonight.

Offline Dolf

• Race Dog
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2007, 08:28:15 pm »
Exclusions
Parts
Consumable parts excluded from this warranty are: (All electrical components) Batteries after the 1st service, ignition switch, wiring harness, CDI units, regulator rectifier, complete stator coil assembly, handlebar switches, hooter, bulbs, fuses, spark plugs, air filters, tyres and tubes, brake linings, brake-pads, chains, cables, shims (tappet adjustment), rubber handles and footrests, spoke wheels, oil leaks after first service and clutch plates.
Servicing materials
Oil, grease, fuels, cleaning materials, coolant and sealants.
Maintenance operations
Clutch and brake adjustments, oil or filter changes, cleaning of fuel systems, removal and cleaning of carbon deposit from engine and exhaust system, wheel balancing, engine adjustment and other items of preventative maintenance, normal wear and deterioration, damages resulting from misuse or the fitting on non-genuine parts, any machine used for racing or equipped with racing kits. Damage which has resulted due to neglect of suspension or maintenance and servicing as laid down in the Kawasaki planned servicing booklet. This warranty is not transferable from the original purchaser unless authorized by KMSA technical department. The guarantee is void for parts which have been modified or repaired in any way whatsoever, or for machines which have been used in competition or racing or were involved in accidents. Any examination must be carried out by an officially accredited Kawasaki Dealer/Stealer. In none of the aforementioned cases can a buyer claim the cancellation of the contract or compensation for damages. The responsibility of KMSA Distributors in every case including an accident to persons or any object which are caused by defect of construction is strictly limited to the replacement of the parts that have proved defective and to the exclusion of all other forms of compensation.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 08:34:02 pm by Staalburger »

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2007, 09:31:32 pm »
that list of excusions is rather lengthy i must say.

How does that compare to other manufacturer's? To be honest i have neverread the "fine" print when buying a scoot but i dont ever recall seeing a list like that when i bought my last suzuki?

Staal, yr story is scaring me just a tad ...one buys a package deal when buying a new scoot and you have to have that warm fuzzy feeling , seems you are not experiencing that even though the product itself is good.

cheers
Born to lose, live to win!!

Offline Jack

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Team Camel Touring
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2007, 10:43:17 pm »
Mmmmm.....there is some standard stuff listed as not covered, but the electrics should be, the battery should have its maker's warranty, not KMSA. Not cover oil leaks? Mmm they call a CDI a consumable? I bet its not listed as a service item, for regular replacement.
It looks like with all that wording.......every warranty issue you have, COULD end up in a bunfight :(
Not to mention they could/will call "abuse" Gee it IS an off road machine after all. Your definition of abuse and theirs...may be very different.
Good luck with it all.
Jack

Just another old, washed up, has been, dirt bike rider...who can't ride for $hit!
Member SARL