Eish

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dolf

Race Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Husqvarna (all models)
So the KLR has developed a slight water leak. Every now and then thereâ??s a bit of leak of coolant out the water pump weep hole. I checked the service manual and it says â??replace the water pump mechanical sealâ?. Seems like a 30 minute job with three parts required: water pump cover gasket, o-ring and the actual seal. I phone up my friendly dealer to book for the first service and tell them about the problem. They donâ??t have the parts in stock but can get them in a dayâ?¦â?¦greatâ?¦BUT the warranty process has to be follow. They strip and inspect then log a warranty claim with KMSA. Three days later KMSA will get back to them and might want to inspect the bike so it has to remain at their premises. Then once KMSA approves the claim they will replace the entire water pump.

So I decide to just order the three little parts (total R160) and pay for it myself so that itâ??s there when they service the bike (not prepared to leave it there for a week). Now I know its standard procedure that I have to pay upfront for the stuff before they will order it but come on, I have just spent R50k with them buying the bike. So when they strip the pump cover and find itâ??s the seal they will replace it but the warranty wonâ??t refund me because KMSA has to approve it BEFORE the dealer does the job.

The reason for me not wanting to leave the bike there is who knows what the hell they do to the bike whilst its there? When the KLE went in way way back it was there for a week. When I got it back some bolts were loose and the mechanic took it upon himself to remove some parts. When I enquired about the new found growling induction noise he said he removed the snorkel on the airbox. A couple of weeks later I had the pipe installed in Pta. The dude doing that did the dyno said the KLE was very very lean and it was because if the snorkel being removed (letting more air into the engine).