Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Dar es Salaam  (Read 1047 times)

Offline parker36

• Puppy
  • Bike: Suzuki DR350
Dar es Salaam
« on: January 31, 2012, 12:50:22 pm »
So two questions in one for anybody who has ventured up to Dar;

1) I am definitely planning on going to Zanzibar while in the neighborhood. The question then becomes whether or not I should bring my bike. I've read over at Horizons Unlimited about all the places that people park for a few days when they go to Zanzibar, but nobody actually taking their bike. I don't want to get stuck in the Stone Town Tourist Trap, but have also had my fill of public transport after a few years of it here in Lesotho. So if I didn't bring the bike, I'd probably go for a scooter rental to romp around a bit. Anybody have any advice/experience?

2) Also deal with loading the bike onto alternate transport. I want to take the train from Dar to Lusaka partly to avoid backtracking on the same road and partly because I hear the train is amazing. Has anybody taken their bike on it before or know of people who have?

Offline DeepBass9

• 2010 DL1000-'91 DR650 DAKAR
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
    • www.dreamlodge.co.za
Re: Dar es Salaam
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 03:32:30 pm »
I've done the train trip there and back from Kapiri Mposhi. The train trip is good fun, 48hrs on the train each way. I have left a vehicle in Dar while going to Zanzibar so it shouldn't be a problem if you leave it at a hotel or something. DO get stuck in the Stone Town tourist trap, it is worthwhile for a few days. When I was there we miscalculated how much money we had and were forced to live in a cheap hut on the beach for a few weeks, subsisting on bananas and hashish. It was hell!  :mwink:

Enjoy!

Offline Grantve

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 03:43:08 pm »
Look forward to seeing you replies.  We are planning a trip through Zim, Moz, Malawi and then onto DES and meeting our wives in Zanzibar (They are flying in).......

When are you leaving?

G
KTM 990 Adventure S
Kawasaki KLE650 Versys
Kawasaki KLR650 - Sold
Suzuki DR200 - Sold

Offline parker36

• Puppy
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 05:15:41 pm »
Plan on leaving Lesotho in the next 2-3 weeks and then heading North. Going out through Qacha's Nek (Lesotho), go hang with some friends in Durban for a bit, then up through Swazi, Moz, Malawi before into Tanzania. Might take a bit for us to get to Dar as we are tentaitviely planning on hitting it after Rwanda, the Seregheti, and Kili. What about you?

Offline Offside

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 07:22:38 pm »
Plan on leaving Lesotho in the next 2-3 weeks and then heading North. Going out through Qacha's Nek (Lesotho), go hang with some friends in Durban for a bit, then up through Swazi, Moz, Malawi before into Tanzania. Might take a bit for us to get to Dar as we are tentaitviely planning on hitting it after Rwanda, the Seregheti, and Kili. What about you?

Hi Parker
You will find the Serengheti a no no go the bikes. Rwanda is great but very slow going especially in the rainy season.
Hope you enjoy

Offline laurika

• hoessenaam van hydrabad...
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • helmet hair is very cool....everyone says so
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 07:29:29 pm »
A fellow Wildog has just been awarded the managerial post at a camp on the kenyan, tanzanian border, close to Kili......he is bike friendly obviously....Ping Sweetspot.

"There is no happiness for him who does not travel...Therefore, wander... The fortune of him who is sitting sits, it rises when he rises, it sleeps when he sleeps, it moves when he moves... Therefore, wander!"...The Rig Veda - 800 - 600 BC..

bmw F650GS/ XT 660 R

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 07:49:53 pm »
It's expensive and near impossible to take your bike from Dar to Zanzibar, they only take bikes by cargo ferry that run 2 times a week or something and then have to go with the fast ferry. Leave it at Mikadi beach resort and take the ferry to Zanzibar. Transport on Zanzibar is cheap or rent a car for 30usd a day. Bikes to rent cost around the same. Zanzibar is so small it's not even 50km from Stonetone to top North where all the action is. I can send you a guy's name that helped us in  in Stonetone with accommodation and a tour.
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=69162.140

Serengeti is off limits for bikes, go to Bobby's tours in Arusha, he is heavy pro South African people, you can store your bike with him and take a 4 day trip for around R4k per person into the Serengeti. I can tell you it's worth it!!!

Offline parker36

• Puppy
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 09:25:20 am »
Thanks everybody for the awesome replies and advice. Really bummed we can't ride across the Serengheti, though. I'll look into that tour that michnus mentioned as well as get in touch with Sweetspot up on the border. How does the ping work?

If anybody else has any suggestions or contacts, I'd love to hear them. I'm kind of going into this trip with no plans and just going off others recommendations.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 09:27:12 am by parker36 »

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 09:13:42 pm »
It's expensive and near impossible to take your bike from Dar to Zanzibar, they only take bikes by cargo ferry that run 2 times a week or something and then have to go with the fast ferry. Leave it at Mikadi beach resort and take the ferry to Zanzibar. Transport on Zanzibar is cheap or rent a car for 30usd a day. Bikes to rent cost around the same. Zanzibar is so small it's not even 50km from Stonetone to top North where all the action is. I can send you a guy's name that helped us in  in Stonetone with accommodation and a tour.
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=69162.140

Serengeti is off limits for bikes, go to Bobby's tours in Arusha, he is heavy pro South African people, you can store your bike with him and take a 4 day trip for around R4k per person into the Serengeti. I can tell you it's worth it!!!

I agree 100%, we stayed at Mikadi and took the ferry over. It is an awesome place.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline steveindar

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • Eish!
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 08:17:50 pm »
So two questions in one for anybody who has ventured up to Dar;

1) I am definitely planning on going to Zanzibar while in the neighborhood. The question then becomes whether or not I should bring my bike. I've read over at Horizons Unlimited about all the places that people park for a few days when they go to Zanzibar, but nobody actually taking their bike. I don't want to get stuck in the Stone Town Tourist Trap, but have also had my fill of public transport after a few years of it here in Lesotho. So if I didn't bring the bike, I'd probably go for a scooter rental to romp around a bit. Anybody have any advice/experience?

2) Also deal with loading the bike onto alternate transport. I want to take the train from Dar to Lusaka partly to avoid backtracking on the same road and partly because I hear the train is amazing. Has anybody taken their bike on it before or know of people who have?

Have you started or finished this trip yet?
 I live in Dar, Don't bother taking a bike to Znz, just hire there. And call me.
COVID KILLS SADDLE TIME!
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

XRV750 Africa bike, KTM 525EXC plastic Africa bike, BMW1150GS Civilization bike; TY250Z Footup's ??? VFR750 Potential off-road hooligan bike!

Offline laurika

• hoessenaam van hydrabad...
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • helmet hair is very cool....everyone says so
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 08:59:58 pm »
i did not read the whole thread...but, i have the number of a very good tuk tuk driver ( he transported me for a month)...for transport in Dar...as well as Zanzibar(he is from there)....i also have a biker friendly place on the beach, where you can safely stash your bike if you travel up to Dar with it...

"There is no happiness for him who does not travel...Therefore, wander... The fortune of him who is sitting sits, it rises when he rises, it sleeps when he sleeps, it moves when he moves... Therefore, wander!"...The Rig Veda - 800 - 600 BC..

bmw F650GS/ XT 660 R