GOC Echo 4x4 Centre XCICC – Jan 2012

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johang

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
This past weekend we had our first off-road race for the 2012 season after the seeding event the previous weekend at Carousel.  This event assisted us in getting a feel for what lies ahead as well as for the team members to ride together in the same race.  It also gave the pit crew under Gsing an opportunity to gear up.

ADA has entered two teams for selected off-road race events this year.  The one team is the adasa.co.za Honda Development Team and the other is a partnership with MOAM racing and will race under the name adasa.co.za MOAM racing.

DSCN0086.jpg

DSCN0111.jpg

L => R:  Marcel (OR3-200) aka Mokkel, Diete (OR3-200), Johan (Masters) aka Hoofseun aka me, Keith (OR3-200) and Heine (Masters) aka Heine.  Not in the photo is Zonica that competes in the Ladies class.

DSCN0198.jpg

Adriaan (Gsing) the Pitboss with his team.  You cannot deliver what is required without a working pit crew, and this one rocks.  You guys were great..

It was a hot day.  The quads started first.  In some way it is nice as they open up the track and clear some of the loose rocks but they also create a lot of dust.  But I prefer the track to be open.

I had a nice starting position up front, eight guys in a row trying to go around the flat track into the first corner and then some pipe obstacles.  This was still fine.  Then we left the flat track and the fun started.

At riders briefing Adolf specifically indicated the warnings, first two kilometres there are a lot of lurkers and rocks, be careful and at 17 – 23 km that and then at km 40 that and when you get to km 55 then you will wish Hannes all of the best.  That first section of 2km’s was fun.  Eight bikes trying to go as fast as possible through the dust, visibility about 2 to 3 meters, and then all you see is some youngster pushing harder into the cloud and the next thing you duck for a back wheel up and around your face.  You know this guy has hit something and is tumbling, when you get there it is two massive rocks.

Then it opened up and you could do about 70k’s in thick dust.  The dust was bad for most of the first lap, hitting unseen rocks and lurkers.  Luckily we prayed as a team once and as the organisers once.  I had two serious scares when I hit stuff at speed in the dust, but the two prayer sessions did the job.  Thank you Lord, it would have hurt.

To give you an idea of the dust, the airfilter next to a clean one after 169kms.

IMG-20120129-00096.jpg

Lap 2 was more open and in lap 3 even better.  At some of the man-made bridges some of the riders on their 2nd lap were stuck and could not get over.  Not sure what they did and how they managed to do it, but thanxs for letting us through…

Coming into the pits was made easy by the team, thanxs guys

Mokkel’s bike getting refuelled:

DSCN0129.jpg

Diete’s bike getting refuelled and him looking a bit knackered, his first ever race…

DSCN0137.jpg

DSCN0175.jpg

My bike refuelled and ready to go…

DSCN0153.jpg

Denton having a quick go at a refreshment from our Sponsor’s Play.

DSCN0188.jpg

Oh and by the way, in riders briefing the said that at km 55 we will wish Hanness all the best.  It was a trick, it was not about wishing well, but you had the choice; suffer or bite the bullet and make up time.  It was riding cross the cuttings of a mealie field.  Lots of corners, small loose rocks and when it got wet, well ask Martin.  Tuff on the tired arms and hands…

The guys did well, now one national ahead in Feb for some and the next GOC on the 17th March.  We will just have to get fitter.  But all this would not be possible without our Sponsors, we need to thank them:

• Honda
• ADA (African Dream Adventures)
• Play – Energy drinks
• SMP – Cleaning materials
• Autocycle Centre – Golden tyres and other bike goodies.

Training, training and some more….

TEAM RESULTS

Echo 4X4 Centre XCICC - Waterrite 200 Results – 27 January 2012

Adasa.co.za Honda Development Team

Race # Rider Class entered Class category Class category position
92 Johan Gray Masters National 1
C56 Heine Engelbrecht Masters Club DNF
C266 Marcel Blignaut OR3-200 Club 1
C503 Keith Parry OR3-200 Club 4
C74 Diete Engelbrecht OR3-200 Club 6
C579 Zonica Vermeulen Ladies Club 5

Adasa.co.za MOAM Racing

Race # Rider Class entered Class category Class category position
C118 Martin Jansen van Rensburg OR1-Open Club 19
C205 Chris Schoonraad OR1-Open Club 20
C512 Denton Douwe Siemelink OR1-Open Club 31
C854 Frans Coetzer OR1-Open Club 41
C369 Dejavu Ivens-Ferraz OR2-250 Club 25
C578 Pieter de Koker OR3-200 Club 11

I hope to find some actual photos from the race…

Hey Darksider, you did great.  Let’s get ready for the National…