"Power Commanders" for R1200GS/GSA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlingKing

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
A commonly asked question, by people looking for more performance out of their 1200’s. So I thought I would pop in a quick post about this awesome product to guide the WD members.

The Wunderlich Performance Controller is one such product that has been around for ages and is tried/tested and proven to give you better performance and spread of power!

The product is a “plug’nplay” module that attaches directly to the trigger wires of the fuel injector and only modifies the quality, length or duration of the fuel signal. That way, all of the factory-specified and required settings for temperature adjustment, altitude and barometric pressure adjustment are totally unaffected and continue to function as originally designed. It is also un-affected by any post installation mods that you make – such as adding an exhaust or aftermarket Airfilter.

In its simplicity the Wunderlich Performance Controller is great as it is a “plug and leave” system. You don’t have to fiddle with it and mine was on for 2 years before I had it re-mapped as a matter on maintenance.

With the Boxer motor having to comply with the new Euro emission laws after 2007, the Factory had to alter the fuel delivery, i.e. make the fuel map leaner. This is all well and fine at averages of 500m above sea level, 100 km/h and an ambient temp of 15*C. Take the same bike, put Sakkie Van Der Spuy (125Kgs) met Sannie Van Der Spuy (110kgs) add 50Kgs of luggage (mostly Klippies en Billy’s.) Now have them sitting Trans Karoo at 180Km/h at 3800m above sea level in 42*C heat – my brothers and sisters – you will have kak!
We have seen several motors ping/seize/destruct because of this. However with the Wunderlich Performance Controller “actively” governing the fuel delivery by reading the ECU, Lambda and Knock Sensors, you will never have this problem. It will constantly optimise the fuel delivery, hence reliably creating more performance.

I am on my 17th GSA and have had the Wunderlich Performance Controller fitted to every one of them and have not had any problems with any of them. On the contrary, I have had the benefit of better horsepower, increased torque, and smoother acceleration.
From experience I would stick to what I have used and love. Dyno figures from my last installation on my present GSA were an improvement of 9bhp and 5nm torque, which is pretty good.

A lot of people have queried the effect on the fuel consumption? But I would be lying if I commented as I am economical once a year – when I try and win the RFS National Economy run. Outside of that I ride too fast to notice! However other customers that have fitted it have reported better fuel economy figures – as you would expect from optimum fuel delivery! But bear in mind that is common (and quite human) to tend to try and use the horsepower that you now have in your right fanny scratcher!

Whilst it is fairly easy to self install – I would advise taking to Justin at Motorrad Tech (0114256632) he has installed most of mine – knows them backwards and is able to attain the best figures from them on his dyno! He can even custom tune the map to your spec, as in more top end or more torque for those who use theirs to plough! Small tip – go in and ask for ‘Denver’s’ map, that is the best mix of all worlds! Well worth the R850 or whatever he charges now!

Sorry the price has been adjusted the rate and transport has been killing ,me!

Costs of this lekker piece of Performance is R 4650.00 less 10% for WD – R 4185.00 incl.