Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Cape Town to Calvinia (GAGSC)  (Read 1055 times)

Offline freakonaleashh

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • RIDE,RACE,PLAY!
Cape Town to Calvinia (GAGSC)
« on: August 01, 2007, 06:38:23 pm »
Looking to ride a dirt route (as much as possible) from CT to the GAGSC,.

1) Advice on a leke route pls.

2) Anyone wanna ride along?
I RIDE THEREFORE I AM!

Offline Grondpad

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Ek laaik tiet kwaai....... :)
Re: Cape Town to Calvinia (GAGSC)
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 08:09:51 am »
 :D :D   I would like to tag along with you freak!  But you ride way to fast !!!!!

Offline freakonaleashh

• Pack Dog
  • RIDE,RACE,PLAY!
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 09:17:40 am »
Gonna go slow promise!!

Need to save the knobblies for the red routes.

I RIDE THEREFORE I AM!

Offline lecap

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 09:20:14 am »
Route1: Ceres R355 to Calvinia
Fast, boring but still too technical for some (hi to the guys in the Defender with two GS on the trailer on 30-12-06  ;D )
The spring flowers will probably be gone by then.

Route2: Ceres - Gydo Pass - Matjiesrivier - Algeria - Clanwilliam - R364 to Calvinia. Mostly easy and lots better than route1. Bombed out and soft in sections (Jan2007 and almost every previous trip). The blockage of the flooddrift at Matjiesrivier after heavy rain can add a lot of excitement & fun in the form of a rocky and muddy alternative route.

Even better: Route 3: Ceres - R355 - Katbakkies - Matjiesrivier - Eselsbank - Wupperthal - Uitspankral - R355 - Calvinia.
Great fun with a DR or XR650. Ok with most other 650's and sufficient riding skill. The route from Matjiesrivier to Wupperthal is a bit technical as well as the track from Uitspankraal to the R 355. The ford through the Doring River might not be passable in late September but you can skip this section and cross the river using the bridge at Doringbos (R 364)

Won't be able to come along as we will be on my own mission CT - Cederberg - Sutherland - Calitzdorp - Die Hel - Knysna - Vanwyksdorp - Robertson - CT Sept. 22 - 29
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline freakonaleashh

• Pack Dog
  • RIDE,RACE,PLAY!
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 09:43:13 am »
Thnx lecap

Much appreciated.
I RIDE THEREFORE I AM!

Offline lecap

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 10:37:13 am »
It would be very hard to do route 3 in one day. Aim at staying over at Op die Berg, Mount Ceder or Cederberg Oasis to get an early morning start into the mountains and to allow some time off the bikes. Route 2 is possible in one day but still quite a long ride.

En route2 and only a few kilometres off 3 is the Stadsaal Cave. One of the most famous bushman painting sites and it's easily accessible. You have to obtain a permit at Mt. Ceder, the Oasis or the Wine Farm at Dwarsrivier.

Road conditions:
Route1 can be done in a saloon car even with low profile tires and an aerodynamic kit fitted (no guarantee for anything).
Route 2 can be done with a saloon car with reasonable ground clearance. My 1977 Merc 230/4 did it many times :)
Route 3 is 4x4 only. Matjiesrivier to Wupperthal is a 1-2 and depending on recent weather might become a 2-3 in winter. Wupperthal to Uitspankraal is easy and a bit sandy towards the river. From there it depends on the water level. Once you're through the river it gets very rocky and steep and once on the plateau very soft and sandy until you reach the R 355.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 10:55:16 am »
Lecap

Is the road between the Oasis/Matjiesrevier and Wuperthal damaged regently? Why do I ask?

I rode the road 4 times in the last 2 years with winter 2006 the last time. The track is IMO not very technical expect for watergrossings after heavy rains.

Moving time between the two points named above is not more than 50 min with a loaded bike and a pillion. And this is not putting man and machine at risk.

:)

Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline Fenderbender

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Robertson
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 11:45:16 am »
Freak, Ill ride with you, but only if you bring your leash with. Otherwise I will just see you disappear over the horizon. ;D ;D ;D

Offline lecap

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 11:53:37 am »
It's easy in summer. A bit more demanding in winter after the rains.
The problem is that most people think it's as easy as the Ceres - Algeria road or the highway from Clanwilliam to Wupperthal.

It only has a few water crossings and / or some sandy patches and three or four spots that get washed out on a regular basis.

I only see the problem that you have to approach the road with confidence and skill as you might have to wait for help for a while (a long one).

The road has become much easier since the steep descends into Wupperthal were concreted and the silly bridge was build. I keep on riding through the river when no one is looking :)

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 12:51:26 pm »
*snip*

Won't be able to come along as we will be on my own mission CT - Cederberg - Sutherland - Calitzdorp - Die Hel - Knysna - Vanwyksdorp - Robertson - CT Sept. 22 - 29

That is quite a nice trip for a longweekend !

Wow...

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline freakonaleashh

• Pack Dog
  • RIDE,RACE,PLAY!
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 04:54:41 pm »
I will play nice I promise ;D
I RIDE THEREFORE I AM!

Offline Fenderbender

• Race Dog
  • Robertson
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 06:57:25 pm »
With a scoot like that, how do you play nice? You will be in your happy place the whole time!
 There will definately be a group or two again, lets see what pops up.

Offline Gooi-Mielies

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2007, 07:20:58 pm »
Going slow you disapoint me freak pitty I cant make the trip my weelchair is to fast
rowing old is madatory growing up is optional

Gooi Mielies

Offline lecap

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2007, 09:23:49 am »
*snip*

Wow...

Beats the GSC me thinks and will also be less than 2.5 gorillas per person :)

Offline freakonaleashh

• Pack Dog
  • RIDE,RACE,PLAY!
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2007, 09:38:21 am »
Hi GM

Hoop jy sterk goed aan, ek het nog my stoel ons kan gaan "race"

Speed is relative of course >:D
I RIDE THEREFORE I AM!

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2007, 10:23:31 am »
*snip*

Wow...

Beats the GSC me thinks and will also be less than 2.5 gorillas per person :)

:thumbsup:

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2007, 10:30:50 am »
Gonna go slow promise!!

Need to save the knobblies for the red routes.

red routes? i pinned you for a black route type of guy  ;D

Offline freakonaleashh

• Pack Dog
  • RIDE,RACE,PLAY!
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2007, 11:44:55 am »
No politically  correct routes yet, but nothing stops one from doing a red route twice.

When I lived in Colorado and you go skiing & come accross a double black daimond slope, you just know its gonna get silly.
I RIDE THEREFORE I AM!

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2007, 01:23:19 pm »
i can't afford the GS challenge. unless of course BMW want to sponsor me, and put me on a X-challenge, and send me to the quarry with da freak for some training sessions, and then i'll attempt the red route, as a guy with not much experience who was trained and given a purpose-built bike, and then we can film the whole thing, and call it....

Race to GS Challenge

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Jacko

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Hildebrand & Wolfmuller (all models)
  • "Don't be a hater, yo." Riaan Cruywagen
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2007, 01:39:20 pm »
Lecap wrote:
It would be very hard to do route 3 in one day. Aim at staying over at Op die Berg, Mount Ceder or Cederberg Oasis to get an early morning start into the mountains and to allow some time off the bikes. Route 2 is possible in one day but still quite a long ride.

Sorry to sound like Jabu69, but I have done your Route 3 in one day (from Sunset Beach), and continued 150 km further to Brandvlei. I had B&C at the Cederberg Oasis, wasted time to fix a loose GPS mount that I then had to fasten to my instrument cluster with cable ties (God bless 'em); wasted about 45 mins in Wupperthal, trying to find the elusive 'Antie Souf' and regular "Coffee stops" - ie sips from my Moccador.

No, I didn't stick to the speed limit and I was going too fast on the bit of remaining R355 to stand. Maybe that's the secret... >:D
"The test of a man is not the forum nor the field; not the marketplace nor the amen corner, but at his own fireside. There he lays aside his mask, and you may judge whether he be imp or angel, king or cur, hero or humbug." -  William Cowper Brann