ISDE Training Camp – Dirt Bronco

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Splash

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Enduro
Things are looking good for the South African assault on the ISDE (International Six Day Enduro) in Germany at the end of September.

Garth Roberts has been working hard and with great enthusiasm to make this a reality for the SA riders. Myself as a club rider (riding spectator), been blown away by the talent that showed up for the first training camp. We have a chance at a top 10 team finish if not even better as a first attempt. Would like to dream that they may even make a top five. Time will no doubt tell, but I am excited by the thought of us being able to at least make an impression.

The format for the training day was simple, riders set off for individual lap times with ones second lap counting. All did this twice. We them moved onto timed laps from a standing start. Next was a timed lap taking all the inside lines and to end the day another timed lap. Surprisingly, all riders lap times improved on the inside track and as one would expect most deteriorated as the track became more beat up throughout the day.

Adrenaline was hanging in the air and completion fierce. Almost all the riders put motocross bikes on the track (or converted MX bikes). So much for all these riders being enduro riders. Most of the bikes were 450’s with some 250’s and a few two strokes. Altus De Wet made life interesting for himself by riding a 4T enduro bike but Kenneth Gilbert decided that a 500 4T enduro bike was it - looked like a battleship but flew around at an amazing pace. Louwrens Mahoney was trying to gain some time by changing the size of his rear sprocket, but to no improvement. Kenneth also brought along a 350 4T which proved to be as fast on the track as the 500.

Jade Gutziet was on a mission and for pure determination and aggression won the day hands down. On some corners looked like he was going to launch himself right into the stands with the speed he was going. He did eventually prove that he also has the ability to please the crowds and launched himself into a bank!

The wolf in sheep’s clothing was Brian Capper. Did not stand out at all on the track yet managed to consistently post the fastest times – smooth and efficiency to the max. Brian also made a strong statement that he is after the top podium position this year.

Checking the best lap times of the regional MX race held the week before, these riders would have been banging bars with the best MX1 riders.

The selection process is based on points earned which includes attending the training camps, knowledge of ISDE rules and on lap times. The times were much closer than imagined and all the riders within 10% of the top time which theoretically would have given them all a gold medal. For a silver medal one would have to finish within 25% of the top time. My times for the day put me firmly in bronze, just finishing! Relieved that I did not crash myself to pieces as I was riding somewhat over my ability - days like these have that effect.

Learnt much and to ride with such an illustrious group is truly a privilege. Supporters packages are available. The SA team will benefit from all the support it can get.

DirtBronco745.jpg

DirtBronco746.jpg

DirtBronco751.jpg

DirtBronco753.jpg

DirtBronco760.jpg