Could forums like these bring a law into being?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeonDude

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
Could forums like these bring a law into being?

Every time I hear about a person getting killed while riding a powerful motorcycle, I think about the strange laws regarding motorcycling in SA.

It’s just so easy. You get a learners license and then, having never been on any kind of motorbike before, you are allowed to ride any motorbike of any size. That means you can legally get on something that can go from 0 to 200+ in the blink of an eye, without even a hint of experience in how to handle that beast.
I’m not even talking about kids here, I’m talking more about the middle aged crowd who can financially afford to walk into a shop and buy a bike. It’s only so much worse when a farther buys his kid a bike that can go stupidly fast, like a 250 ninja for instance.

My suggestion would be more along the lines of what people tell me goes on in Britain.

For instance, let us say that a person must first ride a bike up to a certain horsepower for two years before that person is allowed to ride above that horsepower. Note I’m saying HP here, not engine size.

Would motorbike groups like the WD and Think bike be interested in even looking at such a thing?
Or should I rather not dare show my face in public again for even suggesting such a thing?
And much more importantly, how would we go about bringing such a law into being, if we do think it’s a good idea?