Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Its not all about the bikes !  (Read 8197 times)

shark_za

Re: Its not all about the bikes !
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2007, 07:42:23 am »
I may be looking for shite here but isn't this thread a bit Big-White-Bwana-in-Africa-lookee-at-all-the-curious-natives-in-the-hinterland-switch-my-Arai-for-a-pith-helmet kind of colonial thing? Just asking.

I dont think so, the guys who ride in Europe might have different locals to show us.
Its just every time I take photos of locals where I ride they are black!

Offline Grootseun

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2007, 09:09:30 am »
this is africa after all..chances are.. when taking a photo you will inevatibly have a black guy in it.. ;D ;D ;D

Offline bmad

• Wannabe Poser
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
    • Vintage Motorcycle Club
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2007, 02:30:34 pm »
I may be looking for shite here but isn't this thread a bit Big-White-Bwana-in-Africa-lookee-at-all-the-curious-natives-in-the-hinterland-switch-my-Arai-for-a-pith-helmet kind of colonial thing? Just asking.

she is white!!! Trashed, but white >:D >:D

Memel entertainment:  >:D >:D

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

Offline Beemer Man (RIP)

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2007, 02:52:13 pm »
Also in the Memel area, I just love this photo.
I think if I actually found My mind, I probably wouldn't know what to do with it,

Offline Nardus

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • Njam-Njum
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2007, 03:10:19 pm »
This is great, but we want MORE !!!!

Awesome ! It is great to see what and who you see and interact with on these trips. It adds a bit of flavour to the trips and by sharing it, we also get a taste of that. Thanks.

Never mind the previous comment of somebody that obviously do not see himself as a fellow South African. Colonial thing - my ass !!
Let the snake slide and the lizzard slither and LET IT BE !

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2007, 04:41:48 pm »
I can see why you asked what you asked <and I realise you didn't mean to stir>

I briefly considered asking if we are allowed to post pics of white people or if this thread was only about poor and 'uncivilised' natives...but then I realised people might mistake me for a racist.

Some of the pics posted here will be considered sad by some and those same pics will be seen as hillarious by others - at the end of the day they are just pics of things we see. No need to get angry or defensive <i'm talking to both the posters and the casual viewers here>
it is a little curious that except for bmad's one pic, all the rest depict locals as low-income black people - just an observation, I don't give a sh*t either way since I don't dwell on racial issues

<sorry, I just want to edit my post slightly. after re-reading it, it sonded a bit funny>
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 04:57:55 pm by LuckyStriker »

Offline mountainboy

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • I vespa, therefore I am, well, almost....
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2007, 04:43:24 pm »

Nah - really don't think Oppad meant any offence. Just being a bit carefull, that's all.

Now keep those awesome pics coming!!

PS -can I post pics of locals on non-biking trips???
I love my bike..................

Offline SGB

• 1190R / 1200 GS LC / Husaberg TE 300
    • DS Rider Training
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2007, 10:24:18 pm »
Guitarist providing entertainment

Conducting the choir

Spectators

We employed this guy as a security guard, but my quad racing friends shared their courage with him, good party but useless guard - our stuff did not grow feet nonetheless....

When the going gets tough - they can work too...

Another bit of "towing"
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2007, 01:54:10 am »
Let's make no mistake about it (please flame me in the morning when I'm sober), I also thought that this thread was pretty fuc*ed up at first. What's with all the rich white dudes giving charity to the poor afros? (and all that know me will realise that I detest charity {too many Ayn Rand books?})
I particularly dislike the black kids waiting in line for handouts (I know I was not there and could not possibly understand the sentiment).

But I feel the need to add this pic of some kindly gentlemen who offered to look after our bikes in Luderitz. They asked for no money. They were merely concerned that we'd come away without bad experiences of their otherwise splendid town.

My hat is off to them. Even though we found even more secure parking I thank them for their diligence and graciousness.

Thanks Nam!

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2007, 02:04:06 am »
And I hasten to add

Thanks oom Giel and tannie Fien for making our trip extra special

Offline letsgofishing

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2007, 08:44:06 am »

I can see why you asked what you asked and I realise you didn't mean to stir

I briefly considered asking if we are allowed to post pics of white people or if this thread was only about poor and 'uncivilised' natives...but then I realised people might mistake me for a racist.

Some of the pics posted here will be considered sad by some and those same pics will be seen as hillarious by others - at the end of the day they are just pics of things we see. No need to get angry or defensive i'm talking to both the posters and the casual viewers here
it is a little curious that except for bmad's one pic, all the rest depict locals as low-income black people - just an observation, I don't give a sh*t either way since I don't dwell on racial issues

sorry, I just want to edit my post slightly. after re-reading it, it sonded a bit funny

Well I reckon that's because riding in off-the-beaten-track, remote areas, you're not too likely too find high income people of any colour, now are you?
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2007, 09:14:58 am »
it is a little curious that except for bmad's one pic, all the rest depict locals as low-income black people

Only if you want to see it that way. That they have a lower income than you is true, I guarantee you they also have less debt than you, which makes you poorer than them, that does not make them less in my eyes, as I look through my Arai. :)
They might even feel offended by referring to as low-income blacks, they might have a better quality of life and feeling towards life than most city dwellers? Look at the pics again, see how many are smiling? They are just as curious about you and your bike.

Sit down and talk to the people on the next trip, your perception will for certainly change ;)

Keep it coming, it's a excellent thread. :thumright:
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 09:46:37 am by michnus »

Disselboom

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2007, 10:50:40 am »
Some people say to be truly rich you have to be content with what you have,instead of yearning for that which you don't.I think there is a balance between contentment and ambition,though diffucult to achieve, where some truly happy people stay.After all, if everybody was just peachy with everything, we could've just stayed in the ape stage.A vast majority of people are content to dop their whole pay on Friday and suffer the rest of the week, because they have no awareness that things could be different.And it's mostly that awareness that differentiates most have nots from most haves.

Offline Beemer Man (RIP)

« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2007, 11:28:40 am »
it is a little curious that except for bmad's one pic, all the rest depict locals as low-income black people - just an observation, I don't give a sh*t either way since I don't dwell on racial issues.

I think Lucky Strker's comment is extremely bigoted, and is seriously questioning certainly my integrety, and he then makes a casual comment  about how he dosn't care either way, and does'nt dwell on Racist issues, bullshit to you Mr Lucky Striker!!! the reason why I love the photo I submitted is the absolute stark contrast between the two modes of transport, purely mechanical versus completely natural the way it's been for centuries, it in no way depicts the poor downtrodden plight of Blacks, and if you see it in that light SORRY FOR YOU!!,
I am sure most of the Forum members are as shocked with your implication as I am, for my 2c worth I think you are completely off sides.
Your only saving grace may be the fact you mention of your sobriety but as they say " In Vino Veritas"
" In wine the Truth"
I think if I actually found My mind, I probably wouldn't know what to do with it,

shark_za

« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2007, 12:23:54 pm »
Easy now guys and gals, we all threw the ideas out there and general consensus is that this is not offensive or condescending in any manner.
Someone has to play devils advocate to get people to say what they feel.
Chill, point taken.

Offline brettp

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Blue boss.....
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2007, 01:39:38 pm »
To everyone that took the time and effort to submit thier pics - I salute you! To those that may have taken offence in terms of racial issues or social standings - I pity you cos you missed the entire point of this thread!

Its a fact of life that there will always be a multitude of races, there will always be those that have more or less than you do....and above all, there will always be those who are content with their "station in life".

So get off you bloody soap boxes, and enjoy this thread for what it is...a depiction of memory!
He who dies with the most toys, wins !!!!!

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2007, 04:41:04 pm »
I never implied that anyone on this thread are racist. Sorry if it appeared that way
I'm told my biggest failing is my tendency to be over-analytical and overly-sensitive. It's seems it has landed me in hot water today.
Please respect my right to have an opinion contrary to yours.

I think Lucky Strker's comment is extremely bigoted, and is seriously questioning certainly my integrety, and he then makes a casual comment  about how he dosn't care either way, and does'nt dwell on Racist issues, bullshit to you Mr Lucky Striker!!! the reason why I love the photo I submitted is the absolute stark contrast between the two modes of transport, purely mechanical versus completely natural the way it's been for centuries, it in no way depicts the poor downtrodden plight of Blacks, and if you see it in that light SORRY FOR YOU!!,
I am sure most of the Forum members are as shocked with your implication as I am, for my 2c worth I think you are completely off sides.
Your only saving grace may be the fact you mention of your sobriety but as they say " In Vino Veritas"
" In wine the Truth"

It's a pity you are so upset
I don't believe I attacked you personally on this thread so I'm a little surprised at your indignation. Ironically, I love your photo!

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2007, 05:09:17 pm »
Well it is national Womens Day, so Bitch Slaps are in  order I guess?

Welsh  ::) ::) ::)

Anti-wrinkle cream there may be, but anti-fat-bastard cream there is none.

A founding member of the Witwatersrand Anchor Society.

Offline SGB

• 1190R / 1200 GS LC / Husaberg TE 300
    • DS Rider Training
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2007, 05:27:00 pm »
The racial issue is up our noses all the time through the press and media, I am not surprised that it comes out here too.

I can honestly say that a place like Lesotho has changed my general thinking and attitude in some way, over the years.  I have been going there for ever, and have some friends there.  Wherever I have been, I have tried to shop where the locals shop, eat where they eat and hang out where they hang out.  This goes for America, Europe, Zambia, Namibia, Moz and Lesotho, etc etc.  One thing I have learnt, is that we always tend to want to change our situation and environment, but WE are not always prepared to change.  I regret not having taken enough pictures.  The ones I posted bring good memories, and that is all.  And they perfectly fit into a little bit of the bigger picture of who I am.  That's all.  Let us not allow any issues to kill the spirit of the thread.
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

D7

« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2007, 07:55:25 pm »
man...

SGB,  listen to him..

I get all riled up immediately with race.
that automatically distorts my perspective.

SGB - my fealings without the bitterness....

O0