Safari Tank

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alanB

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Husqvarna (all models)
I reluctantly ordered a Safari tank for the Amageza at ruinerous cost, and it arrived last week.

I spent most of Saturday fitting it and went for a 290k ride today.  Here's a pic while I was waiting for TK to fill up at Cullinan.
safaritank.jpg

Its bloody ugly!  The gorgeous nimble Italian princess has become an lumbering Australian donkey :-\

Other cons are:
1) When the tank's full it tends to push the front wheel in corners or riding gnarly ground so you need to stay awake because instead of riding nimbly around ruts and rocks or cornering tightly etc it tends to just plow onwards.  Maybe its something I'll get used to, but the best feature of the bike is/was its nimble handling! 
2) Front wheel is far more twitchy in thick sand when the tanks full.
3) Did I mention its ugly?
4) Quite a palaver to fit - if you want to do it properly - although its well thought out
5) Cant wash the bike properly because most of it is now encased in the huge tank
6)  EYE WATERINGLY EXPENSIVE
7) Pump doesnt sit right at the very bottom of the tank so you are going to run out with a liter or so still in the tank.

Pro's
1) Double the capacity so I should get about 400k's
2) It holds the weight low down, but quite far forward
3) Ergonomics are good, you dont notice it whilst riding
4) Nice to see how much fuel you have at a glance