Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Kings Mountain Level 2 off road training weekend  (Read 2736 times)

Offline >Herman<

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • If not now, when?
Kings Mountain Level 2 off road training weekend
« on: August 06, 2007, 08:32:31 pm »
I couldn't wait to get out of the office last week Friday. I was on my way to Kings Mountain, Level 2 off road course, and I was soooooo looking forward to it.  We were a nice group, 6 on course of which Ratel, Adventurer, Peaches & me are from the WD forum. Rika & Liz were the other two.

The ride there was uneventful, thanks to Ratel & Sanrelene for joining us.  We arrived @ Kings Mountain 17:00'ish, all nervous but with big expectations.  Stephen was our instructor with Aldo his assistant.  Mark & Dot were wonderful hosts, and everything was what we expected.

Saturday am we started 06:30 with a full day of excercises.  I can't remember the order, but we did zig-zag cones, up & down hills, down hill stopping, step up & down, emergency braking @ 90+ km/h, rocky up & downs, sand/ploughed land riding, ruts, plus an outride.

Some pictures.  I'm sure the rest will post theirs as well.

Adv brake sliding

Downhill stop

Aldo showing us controlled downhill riding

Ratel showing us how

Me going down the step

Aldo showing off... >:D

Tired KTM
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 01:28:58 pm by Ryperd »

Offline >Herman<

• If not now, when?
Re: Kings Mountain Level 2 off road training weekend
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 08:38:15 pm »
More pictures

Offline Ratel

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Dubai
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 09:26:42 pm »
What a lovely weekend at Kings Mountain!!

We thoroughly enjoyed it and learnt a lot about riding on the "rough stuff"

Herewith some of my pics:

Adventurer showing us how to dodge those dreaded cones ;D

You want us to ride up where :o

Follow thy leader

Ryperd,Liz,Adventurer

« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 09:28:51 pm by Ratel »
"Stercus accidit..."

Offline Ratel

• Dubai
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 09:41:53 pm »
Some emergency braking exercises

Ryperd demonstrating how to avoid the cops at a roadblock >:D

Slow descents and stopping halfway down

"Stercus accidit..."

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 09:43:03 pm »
It was time for Level 2 training to start at the King‚??s Mountain offroad academy in Barberton, the first time my GS was put on a trailer, the sacrifices we do, we wanted to take Cherry‚??s XR100 with us, and Peaches had elected to do this course on her Yamaha XT225. We arrived at the Academy after dark, our fellow students, Ou Ryperd, (KTM 950) Ratel, (wife‚??s BMW 650 GS, his 1200 ADV was already sold and his KTM could not be run in under these conditions) Rika,(not yet on this forum but will be shortly,  BMW 1200 GS) and Liz, Stephen King‚??s wife, Honda CRF 230)

Our instructor Stephen King and co-instructor Aldo van der Walt were on hand to help unload and show us to our quarters; thereafter we had a scrumptious dinner and were briefed on the events that were to follow.

6 AM!!!!!! This is the time to start training? Yessir, we have lots to do‚?¶‚?¶
The day started with a little outride around the farm, the landscape burnt severely from the recent forest fires, the carnage was unbelievable, the ground, a place we all become intimate with during the course, was burnt black, with patches of ash all over the place.

We did ‚??bike aerobics‚??, knees on the saddle, sidesaddle, right foot on left foot peg, visa versa, weaving through the cones, those HATED cones, all the while. We found every option besides the ground to stop against, one foot on a tree, the fence, poles, tyres, and rocks, whatever there was. There are no photos of this because our photographers, Marina and Sanrelene, Ou Ryperd‚??s and Ratel‚??s wives respectively, were still warmly ensconced in bed.
 We were shown the step-up/step-down that we would do later in the day, followed by a route through the veld with some interesting hills, ramps and various obstacles that take you RIGHT out of your comfort zone, we were here for level 2 training, not a knitting course!

After breakfast the going got tougher, cones in a serious zigzag on a downhill, even our highly skilled instructor battled to get Ou Ryperd‚??s KTM around them! By now our photographers had surfaced and started clicking away, capturing as many embarrassing moments as possible.

More fun was had in a dried up dam, the dreaded ‚??sleep monster‚?? claimed quite a few victims as their bikes decided it was time to lie down and have a rest. Liz had a chat with the tree-man on her CRF, tree ‚?? 1, Liz ‚?? 0.
We all knew how to stall on an uphill and fall down trying to save it, but now we learnt how to recover the bike without succumbing to the ‚??sleep monster‚??.

After negotiating a mother uphill that had Peaches doing a serious wheelie we practiced emergency stops from flat out in 2nd gear, it is truly amazing how fast these bikes can stop using the correct method.

Thereafter fun was had doing U-turns on a narrow road, skid the bike half way round and power slide the rest of the way, easy to see it done by the expert, blarry hard to do yourself!

Lunch time at last!!! A welcome break, the temperature was rising and a rest was needed.

After lunch was SAND PIT TIME! Dave had spent the whole morning ploughing up a long stretch of ground. THOSE CONES were strategically placed, we had to zigzag through them, do a circle at the end and return back to the starting point along a wider zigzag path. I have always hated thick sand, but once again, given the right instructions it becomes a lot easier. This is where my one and only ‚??sleep monster‚?? attack took place, I tried to bury my back wheel in the sand the same way Stephen did, but linked braking does not allow for this, I thought it had worked, got off my bike, took a step away to admire my handywork, and was followed by a bike that needed a ‚??rest‚??!

There is an uphill/downhill called ‚??David‚??s Delight‚?? that was dreamed up by someone with a sick sense of humour, from the top it is a VERY long way down, and VERY steep, to walk down this incline is not easy, the slippery surface and abundance of loose rocks and stones don‚??t make the going easy. If you lose control on the way down you will have to contend with a runaway train! The idea is to start off very slow, and stay that way all the way down, but once at the bottom you will truly have mastered the art of slow speed descent control.
We all made it down; some of us decided it was so much fun that it had to be done again! Going up is not as easy as coming down, wheelies, ‚??sleep monsters‚?? and backwards recoveries were the order of the day. Liz in her determination made the ascent on her 4th attempt, that CRF screaming in 2nd gear all the way up.

Hereafter the STEP, an incline of around over a meter, photos do not do it justice, but with lots of ‚??mind over matter‚??, it is do-able. To go down you simply pop your front wheel over the top, look ahead and release the clutch and brakes and ‚??voila‚??, you are down, brake hard to miss the gully, and U-turn. Going up takes a bit more ‚??mind over matter‚??, look at the top, tell yourself you ARE at the top, and ride as if there is nothing there, closing the throttle as you clear the top, a spectacular wheelie later you and you are there!

After a refreshment break we did a small outride along some forest breaks, frightening reminders evident of the huge forest fires that ripped through this landscape very recently. Towards the end of the ride we encountered the steep hill fraught with washaways that was Peaches‚?? nemesis on Level 1 became a small little hill, a non-event almost.
The day was over, Red Bull was our friend, and sleep was not far off, an exhausting day filled with newly acquired skills.

Sunday morning started rather leisurely at 7 am, simulated bike aerobics to loosen the stiff muscles and aching joints.

We did an outride through the forests and banana plantations, the terrain varied from good to very testing, rough tracks used for tree felling, we rode up onto a high outlook point, the view was breathtaking. All our skills learnt on the day before coming into play along the route, what a rush!

Back to base, we loaded the bikes, packed the car and joined the group for lunch and certificate presentation.

A big thanks to Stephen and Aldo, our instructors.
Also a big thanks to Mark and Dot, our hosts at Kings Mountain in Barberton.
Also a big thanks to Marina and Sanrelene, our photographers, and the rest of our group. All Wilddogs except for Rika, who will surely be joining our forum shortly.

If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Ratel

• Dubai
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 09:53:38 pm »
Peaches showing us all how it is done- "just pull a wheelie chaps" :hello2: :headbang:

One tired GS ;D

Looks like Ryperd has more Goooooooo!!!! in his boots than that GS >:D
"Stercus accidit..."

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 10:02:40 pm »
Where's the pic following this one, come on show us, you dropped the bike riiight? ;) >:D

« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 10:03:38 pm by michnus »

Offline Ratel

• Dubai
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 10:05:10 pm »
Some pics from the outride on Sunday:

"Stercus accidit..."

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 10:15:20 pm »
Where's the pic following this one, come on show us, you dropped the bike riiight? ;) >:D

Nah, he disappointed us all and kept it upright.... ;D ;D
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Ratel

• Dubai
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007, 10:39:37 pm »
Last three:

Look at me smiling - what a weekend :thumleft: :laughing6: :thumright:

Thanks everybody!!!!!
"Stercus accidit..."

GS-holic

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 07:38:58 am »
Very nice seemed like alot of fun ;) ;D

Offline >Herman<

• If not now, when?
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2007, 08:39:25 am »

My name is not Michnus... >:D >:D

The idea was/is to brake slide, swinging the bike 90 degrees, and then to power slide the other 90 degrees to face the way you came. Sounds easy... :-\ but was not so easy. Mind over matter, so they say. :)

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2007, 09:22:11 am »
How did Cherry‚??s XR100 do?

Offline supadave

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2007, 09:33:02 am »
I AM JELOUS!THE SCENERY AROUND THE FARM AND ON THE OUTRIDES IS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!TRULY GODS COUNTRY!PITY ABOUT THE FIRE BUT THE GOOD THING IS IT WILL ALL GROW BACK GREENER THEN EVER!!BRING ON THE NEXT COURSE!LOOKS LIKE TOO MUCH FUN TO MISS OUT ON!WELL DONE TO ALL INVOLVED!

Offline SGB

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • 1190R / 1200 GS LC / Husaberg TE 300
    • DS Rider Training
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2007, 09:51:48 am »
Nice one all you guys.  Looks like a trip to Baberton from Durbs is not as long as I thought.....  Paloekas like me need training quite often and this venue looks like good fun.   8)
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline >Herman<

• If not now, when?
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2007, 09:56:44 am »
Some more pictures:

You want us to go down where???  ???

See, easy... Peaches showing us how to

Some serious muscle was needed:  ;D

Now where is that perfect line?  ???

Who placed these stupid tires here?  ::)

Them dreaded cones :o

Which way now?  ???
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 10:05:04 am by Ryperd »

Offline Hidalgo

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2007, 12:00:26 pm »
Hi there guys

Thanks for a great report with lots of awsome pics.

Could you give us some more details about the course, like costs, website etc.

Cheers
Difference between cars and bikes - Driving in your car is like watching a movie, riding your bike is like starring in the movie.

BMW R1200 GS Rallye

Offline Danievz

• Bike: Aprilia ETV1000 Caponord
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2007, 03:45:55 pm »
Seems to me you had lots of fun and all ended up with very tired bikes >:D. Who knows maybe next time I will join you guys and girls on my tired bike? Danie

Offline >Herman<

• If not now, when?
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2007, 03:48:34 pm »
Seems to me you had lots of fun and all ended up with very tired bikes >:D. Who knows maybe next time I will join you guys and girls on my tired bike? Danie

That will be great!!  ;D

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2007, 04:02:28 pm »
This is a great report guys!  :cool: Nice write up and pics.

Thanks and well done to all.

Must do a course or two one day. :redface:
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 04:04:53 pm by JourneyMan »
He who angers you, controls you.