Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Kings Mountain Level 2 off road training weekend  (Read 2739 times)

Offline droffarc

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Cape Toon
    • http://droffarc.wikispaces.com
Re: Kings Mountain Level 2 off road training weekend
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2007, 06:12:26 pm »
I congratulate especially the ladies on doing the course sucesfully - very well done indeed. :salut: :thumleft:
http://droffarc.wikispaces.com
"..explore the beautiful surroundings via some of the roads less travelled. "
It is far easier to destroy than to create.
I came, I saw, I came again!
Biking since 1978

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2007, 06:58:52 pm »
Hi there guys

Thanks for a great report with lots of awsome pics.

Could you give us some more details about the course, like costs, website etc.

Cheers

A bit of background here, the present cost is R2000-00 for the course/weekend, it includes training, accomodation and food. This is a 'special' until the end of August 2007.
It is held on a farm not far from Barberton.
Stephen King, chief instructor, has structured the training according to real conditions he has experienced over the many thousands of kilometers he has travelled, the course is a 'real life' situation, very little is 'synthetic'.
It is not really fair to compare this course to 'other' courses offered by other institutions, they all have their place.
King's Mountain caters for ALL makes and sizes of bike, and there is no gender favouritism or discrimination. This weekend for example Peaches chose to use her XT 225 Yamaha rather than her 1200GS, she had the smallest bike but it went everywhere and did everything that the big 1150s, 1200s and 950s did, and visa versa.
Training is done on your bike of choice as it is ridden every day, mirrors, screen, whatever.
There is ABSOLUTELY NO PRESSURE from anyone, and if you feel you don't want to try a specific exercise you don't have to, but you are given all the info so that you can try it in your own time when you feel up to it.
We did level 1 and level 2 at King's Mountain,Barberton. The total damages to my 1150 GSA, Peaches' 1200GS (used for level 1) and Peaches' XT225,(used for level 2)were 1 indicator lens, (1150GSA) 1 flimsy hand protector bracket (1200GS) and 1 brake lever (XT225 - R55-00 for new one)
Injuries to ourselves - nothing besides severe muscle stiffness.
Injuries to others that attended the same courses, nothing besides muscle stiffness.
I have done various courses over the years and IMO this one is up there with the best.
Everyone that rides offroad should attend a course of this nature, to simply 'watch your buddy' and 'listen to your buddy' is not enough, get taught by someone that is 'taught to teach'.
Level 3 is the same as level 1 & 2, but with FULL luggage for a week trip, and you camp overnight with your own kit.
Level 4 is SAARIOUS AF@K, everything you have ever been taught, plus a whole lot more, and then you do some of it at NIGHT, IN THE DARK......sounds cool........ >:D >:D

Contact 'aldo@touratechsa.co.za' for further details and dates.
And NO, I will not get discount for saying all of this...... ;D ;D

If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

shark_za

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2007, 08:11:24 pm »
the course is a 'real life' situation, very little is 'synthetic'.

Yeah, nothing synthetic about riding between cones offroad, I do it all the time on my KDX !

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2007, 08:14:29 pm »
the course is a 'real life' situation, very little is 'synthetic'.

Yeah, nothing synthetic about riding between cones offroad, I do it all the time on my KDX !

::) ::) ::) I did say 'VERY LITTLE'!
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

shark_za

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2007, 08:15:51 pm »
No really, those damn KTM's breaking down all over the show!!!

Offline Zonkelnut

• Whatever
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • Yo! Sup?
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2007, 09:17:09 pm »
Sory again for not making it. My wife came out of ICU on Tuesday and might be back at home tomorrow. 2 Weeks for a normal opperation. Those bluddy doctors. I do not like them.

...Level 3 is the same as level 1 & 2, but with FULL luggage for a week trip, and you camp overnight with your own kit....

Adventure, Thank goodness, at last someone started to think "TRAINING"!. Two different bikes without and with. I realised this and my first Damara trip. I felt like a noob with 1 day experience. Kit makes a HUGE difference.

sorry again for holding everybody on a line and thanks for the support from everybody. But she seems fine now.
100001 110010 1101010

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2007, 09:33:05 pm »
Zonkel,now you know why Doctors 'practice', the rest of us KNOW what we are doing. ;D
Good to hear your missus is going to be ok.
We missed you this weekend, some 'slangbyt' would have gone down well on Saturday night.... ;D ;D

Offline Hidalgo

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2007, 07:50:27 am »
Hi there Adv

Thanks for the background, just the info I was looking for.  And thanks to Ryperd for the pm with the details.

Thanks
Difference between cars and bikes - Driving in your car is like watching a movie, riding your bike is like starring in the movie.

BMW R1200 GS Rallye