Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Fitting / using stock rear rack yay or nay ?  (Read 679 times)

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • President T7 fanclub
Fitting / using stock rear rack yay or nay ?
« on: February 16, 2012, 11:08:00 am »
I got the stocker with the bike and I see it's rated at 9kg. I'm sure my tent and sleeping bag will not exceed that but have you guys loaded the stock rack and tested it out ? Reason I'm asking is questions about the subframes strength. Read a number of posts about the frame cracking when loaded. My rear fender has not been drilled yet so if it's not worth it I will rather leave it as is and get another Giant Loop.
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
Re: Fitting / using stock rear rack yay or nay ?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 02:20:46 pm »
This is more a personal taste type question.

Personally I wouldnt add a rack and would go the GL Coyote or similar route (although those bags are bloody expensive - and I'm getting slightly tired of paying enormous fees for every bloody thing).

But I think they are a better solution in many respects.

1) The subframe is not that strong and while you may get away with loading it, but then again you may not.
2) The distribution of weight on the bike of the Coyote looks very well thought out to me.
3) The size of the bag forces you to reduce the amount of stuff you take which is a good thing ultimatey.

I personally think that if you want to carry the kitchen sink then you should either go by car or get a BMW  :pot:   Not my cup of tea though.

Its a bit like 4x4 overlanding.  When you first start out you get swept up in the whole "bolt every conceivable thing to the roof and when you run out of space do the same thing to a trailer".  But after you go on a few trips you work out that carrying less actually makes the trip easier - the car is less heavy so getting through tricky bits arent as difficult, and if you get stuck it doesnt become an industrial grade project to get unstuck.  Plus your fuel bill is far less and wear and tear on the car is less.

Some people seem to be drawn to the route of excess, so they forever want more and more, maybe to show off to the neighbours or maybe because they just want more.  Thats their choice obviously. 

But personally with regard to overlanding I have found it quite liberating to learn what you REALLY need and what you don't.  Very often if you just think like a hiker and go for small, light kit, and stick to the essentials, you don't need to pack such huge amounts of stuff. 

The same obviously applies, but to a much larger extreme to biking.

OR you could commit heresy and get your mate's in their 4x4's to carry your kit for you - which has worked EXTREMELY well for me before  :biggrin:
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • DON'T be FOOLED by my Avatar ----
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 03:16:43 pm »
Matter of choice and what you like -- i have the pro -billet one with the ears fitterd and remove the ears when not needed. I leave the rack on permanently on with my tools --did 22,400km before it started to crack --heavy riding i must add. R650 for a new aluminium section that holds the rack together -- was worth it -- Sometimes i only fit one ear the other times 2 --

People DON'T Change --we just get to know them better
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one --
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • President T7 fanclub
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 03:30:36 pm »
Matter of choice and what you like -- i have the pro -billet one with the ears fitterd and remove the ears when not needed. I leave the rack on permanently on with my tools --did 22,400km before it started to crack --heavy riding i must add. R650 for a new aluminium section that holds the rack together -- was worth it -- Sometimes i only fit one ear the other times 2 --

Did the rack or subframe crack ?
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline TK

• Life's an adventure, enjoy the ride.
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 06:02:59 pm »
Sidetrack. I'm busy with two racks. One top rack only to hold smalls (no holes through the plastics), the other with a top rack and side paniers for those 'home away from home' rides. Also no holes through the plastics.
Have done it before on the Husky with good results but the new ones will be more practical.

Offline TK

• Life's an adventure, enjoy the ride.
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 06:05:20 pm »
Will post some pics when done if I figure out how.

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 07:51:13 pm »
It was the Alumnium part that screws onto the subframe and holds up the rear numberplate bracket and tail light --

Made this for my 450 TE and it bolts onto the subframe and extends to the back to hold the rack --strong --and will never break imho -- a bit overkill but works for me --

Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one --
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 07:54:49 pm »
The 610 TE with ears--

« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 07:57:31 pm by blazes »
Current Scooters --

Offline dirtWarp

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • I crash like a champ!
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 10:32:40 pm »
Fender rakke lyk te veel soos 'n hoender hok.. gewig word ook op die domste plek denkbaar geplaas  ???

Ry met rug sak tot jy 'n GL kan bekostig.
As jou skouers afkak, kom doen shrugs saam met my innie gym  :whip2:

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 06:38:11 pm »
I have had a close look at the 610 rack subframe - in fact have it 'eliminated ' completely at the moment. It is easy to strengthen it by doubling up the flat alu structure and maybe even a bit of gusseting if need be. I intend to do this as a matter of course but I would like a small rack (like the TT) for a tool roll (I like the look of the Krigge). For the rest I will use my Cayote. The PMB looks strong but a bit too industrial for me (guess one could use it as a braai grid if need be :))  I like the shape of this KTM one better (is not a PMB).

« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 06:39:47 pm by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline dirtWarp

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • I crash like a champ!
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 08:55:57 pm »
I think thats fine for something small like a tool bag.

The cool thing about GL is that it rests on the seat (forward) and very low down on the sides, which helps a lot when trying to steer your bike.
The issue I found when using the GL (and minimalistic packing) was that the suspension settings were severely compromised. I had to adjust the pre-load on the shock, compression and rebound damping of the shock and forks.. everything is out of whack and the bike handles like a canoe.

Rear fender rack: if I had anything mounted on a fender rack while doing the "Loodswaai" section (part of our Magoebas kloof ride), most would be lost. I like to ride that section like a crazy.

For the best handling, carrying all my gear on a back is awesome. The bike is flick-able like always, it's obviously just your shoulders that suffer.  :ricky: