Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Maps for Mozambique  (Read 670 times)

Offline Africamike

• aka Ventana
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • De Colores!!
Maps for Mozambique
« on: February 17, 2012, 01:20:42 pm »
Planning a ride into central Mozambique later this year - anyone know where I can pick up good quality maps?

Rom 1:16

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
Re: Maps for Mozambique
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 02:15:41 pm »
Perhaps try Pauli at GPS4Africa?

http://www.gps4africa.co.za/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=23&Itemid=26

Otherwise suveyors maps - but I dunno where to get those!
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x  - 2001 F650GS Dak SOLD - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 08:27:33 pm »
Where about are you planning to go? I found it a LOT easier to actually pick up a route on route.. the problem I found with planning on a map especially in Northern Moz is the conditions of the roads changed drastically with the rains so we just asked the lodge owners etc which was the best route to the next town.. asking locals is a nightmare as in many places there is very little English.. all Porra.

Any good quality map book is a good way to go. Try CNA or the AA. In one instance we downloaded google maps, printed that out and used those.. much cheaper.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Africamike

• aka Ventana
  • Race Dog
  • De Colores!!
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 10:38:59 am »
Thanks guys - we are still planning so the reason we need an accurate map is to determine a route - kind of - thanks FM for the advice - but i think you still need a better than vague idea of where you're going - specifics can be determined on the day.

Thanks for the help.

Rom 1:16

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 06:37:48 pm »
yeah for sure, I did'nt mean to imply that you should'nt plan, we found google maps to be the most accurate as many of the Moz maps we came across did not show the road leading to the Unity Bridge for example.. it also depends on when you are going, the short rains are ok, but the long rains can be tough going.

Please post teh route when you have it organised, it sounds like you are going on a nice ride there..
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 08:12:55 am »
t4a sell paper map versions of their GPS maps. Use that and goole earth for your planning.

Just watch out for river crossings using google earth - some are seasonal
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!