Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Where, When & How  (Read 885 times)

Offline Asterix

Where, When & How
« on: February 20, 2012, 02:45:38 pm »
Hello People,

Wonder if somebody can help me?? I see everybody is planning trips into Africa, My questions are the following, How you going about starting planning a tour, Is there tour companies you can go too(I know about Cytech). Any people on this forum organised such tours or do anybody just jump on there bikes and off they go. I missed such a tour to Vicfalls now in April, due to the fact I heard to late of it.

Offline Lady Jane

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
Re: Where, When & How
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 10:59:21 pm »
Hi Asterix,

I'm no expert, but my partner and I did a tour for 6 months from cape town to Zimbabwe, Botswana, Swaziland then back to Cape town. It took us 3 months to plan, because firstly we are newbies at biking, we planned on camping as much as possible and we were on a very tight budget (well who isn't).

If it's any help, we did most of our research on the web and because we had our tent with us we were pretty flexible according  accommodation. Locals were always willing to help and advise the best places for us...well from our experience anyways.

I hope this was a little bit helpful, but good luck if you're planning to do a trip!  :D

Ciao!

Offline Camino Cerdo

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 03:27:11 am »
Asterix

Your best bet is to start reading stories on this forum, also check out horizonsunlimited.com
This site is the best for Southern Africa and the HU covers the whole world.  Suggest you read Ultimate Journey (ultimatejourney.com) as they did a great job of writing up there travels and covered many of the in and out of how to do it.  On the Horizons unlimited site you will find some how to DVDs these will be very helpful (wish they were out before we started traveling).  The most important is when the time comes to leave and you are sure you are not ready, go anyhow.
Our travels at horizonsunlimited.com/tstories/thode
Bob
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but  rather a slide in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body totally worn out and screaming "Woo Hoo what a ride"

Offline ChinaPete

• 乘风破浪
  • Bike: Singer (all models)
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 05:05:59 am »
Asterix, Browse around in the Ride Reports section, there are several Africa trip reports. Ping the Dog's who posted for further information, they'll be more than happy to assist with planning and advice.

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 05:08:28 am »
check Michnus' Africa planning  and RR as well.
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline Legadema

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 07:14:05 am »
Buy a BIG Africa map, draw a line to where you wanne go, pack you bike with whatever you think you wil need, and off you go. Don't forget the GPS with T4A maps, and VISA credit card.

Offline DeepBass9

• 2010 DL1000-'91 DR650 DAKAR
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
    • www.dreamlodge.co.za
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 07:33:07 am »
Buy a BIG Africa map, draw a line to where you wanne go, pack you bike with whatever you think you wil need, and off you go. Don't forget the GPS with T4A maps, and VISA credit card.

For sure, just pack and go. Figure out the rest on the way.

Online Just_Plain_Dan

• Forum Vendor
  • Shop Mods
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • Mr Kempton Park 1997
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 07:56:17 am »
check Michnus' Africa planning  and RR as well.

For sure, just pack and go. Figure out the rest on the way.

and a couple of $$$$$ for where the credit card doesnt work!! :thumleft:
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 07:58:09 am by Just_Plain_Dan »

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 05:34:09 pm »
Most important question is how much time do you have?

One thing I can tell you, and I know people do not listen is do not rush it. People post stuff like 30days to Dar and back or 15000km round trip in 20 days through SADEC countries, it's stupid and beyond comprehension why anybody would want to rush such trips. You mis on all the nice stuff in between. You must really get to feel the places you ride and stop over at a place for 2 or so days. Rather do one country properly than chasing through 3 of them and only see the main road.  

I started a thread here about what to pack for an extended trip. http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=69799.0

All the info on a Carne is here  http://pikipiki.co.za/planning-and-preperation/carne-insurance You only need a carne for Egypt, no other African country.

http://pikipiki.co.za/planning-and-preperation/visa-information
Except for Ethiopia which you have to get a visa in South Africa, you can not get one in Kenya. Sudan you can get in Ethiopia, most other Sub-Sahara countries you do not need visa's or a Carne for your bike.  Tanzania is a months off on allowing SA citizens in without visa's.
West coast up is difficult, Angola for one is difficult to get into, you get the Visa from PTA and have to take your letter of  invitation. For the rest of those countries the visa's are quite expensive.

http://pikipiki.co.za/planning-and-preparation.
For the rest take a few dollars for border taxes and when you get into trouble.
You can do it cheap, eat local food, buy beer and water only in bottles with sealed tops. You do not need to take water filters and such as there are water to buy every where. If you want take some tablets with.
Camping cost on average R50-R100.

Why people pay places like Cytech to ride is beyond me, it's expensive and as far as I know they ride form dawn to dusk  through Africa. It's the same as doing JHB to CP and back 15 times, you see zero. Do it yourself it is fun and you can do it on your time. In a tour you are bind by their schedule, it's kak end of story.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 05:41:41 pm by michnus »

Offline Asterix

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 08:41:54 am »
Thanx for all the info. Now at least do I know where to start. I was thinking of doing my first trip to the Vic Falls, Rundu, Rucana, Swakop. WHK, Upington back to JHB.

Offline Camino Cerdo

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 09:26:39 pm »
Asterix
 Another comment or two; You did not say where you were from, if from outside of Africa Carnet requirements may be different. I had to have Carnet for South Africa and several others. 
 When you determine how much stuff to take and how much money, cut the stuff in half and double the money. Everyone always takes too much and having some extra cash stashed on the bike cuts the stress down.  Do a test run, fully loaded, for a few days before you head out on a long run.
Bob
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but  rather a slide in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body totally worn out and screaming "Woo Hoo what a ride"