The Longdrop Cruise to Geluksburg *** complete ***

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roxenz

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha Super Tenere
Friday 17th February 2012  -  The Longdrop Cruise

I took Friday off to get everything ready.  Had AdventureMX put on a new rear tyre (D606) on Tuesday already, since the old one was looking a bit slick and Gunda-Gunda had forecast some rain and mud.

Packing was a bit like a chicken with its head removed, mainly because I was so excited to get away on this weekend.  It started when I camped next to the KZN dogs at the Northwest Bash (Marico).  I checked out these guys with their tattoos, ponytails and Captain Morgan: they looked rough, hey!  After introducing myself from a distance (they looked like those serious biking okes who would klap you just for having the temerity to say “Hallo”), I was invited over to get to know the guys.  Well, what a great bunch they were (are)!  Warm, friendly, with a repertoire of jokes that would have Trevor Noah begging for more!  So when the same bunch started organising the Longdrop Cruise, I absolutely had to be there.  Also, I’ve never been to Geluksburg, had no idea where it was, but MapSource luckily did.

Eventually I got my shit together by 10AM, made a quick stop for some Flutterby wine (in light, unbreakable PET bottles from Boland Kelder) and hit the road south.  I had worked out a decent route on MapSource, just over 400km, mainly gravel through the eastern Free State, keeping west of the N3.  Similar for coming back, but sticking mainly east of the N3.  Bike’s humming (the 606’s do HUMMMMM, even on gravel!) along nicely, kilometres dropping off the “Distance to Destination”.  Crossed the N1 near Barrage, stopping to take the obligatory pic of the Vaal.

Now I am officially in the Free State. A country of open vistas and great dirt roads with fearsomely fast double cab bakkies. I overtake a few, get passed by some, all with a friendly wave and considerate road manners.   :thumleft:

I stopped as the road got closed in by some lovely green trees, to take another photo and to stretch my legs.  Crossing the farm Alfresco, and on such a fresh day, it is aptly named. No mud to mention yet, just wet enough to keep dust down.  Although there are plenty signs that some heavy rains fell a few days ago: deep ruts in the road surface in places.  Generally the roads are excellent, however. I’m taking it fairly easy, cruising at about 90 – 100. I promised myself I’ll take photos this time and if I’m white-knuckling, I see nothing worth taking any pictures of…   :(  These are familiar roads, this part of the route follows roads that I’ve ridden on twice before when going down to the Free State Bash, so I relax and start to get into “the zone”, where the rest of the world fades away a bit. With very few vehicles around I begin to get that old feeling of riding all alone on a big ball spinning in space, convinced I can make out the earth’s curvature.

The eastern Free State must have had a good summer, everything is looking green and healthy and fresh. I stop often for pictures of the countryside. Even Shrekkie gives in to the sense of living in the Garden of Eden…

On the other side of Wolwehoek I came across this sign next to a rail track which has fallen in disuse.  It would have made a good counterpoint to my old KLR, but then, the Tenere is still a thumper!  Of course, it also reminded me of Gunda-Gunda, who I haven’t seen in years, but would again during the weekend.  Ah, I’m so looking forward to this weekend!

I stopped at Heilbron for fuel and a much-needed orange juice – it’s hotting up as the sun ascends the sky.  The earlier low cloud cover has burned away.

I follow the S282 southeast out of Heilbron, ending up at a T-junction with this big signpost:

Thank goodness for GPS!

Onto the S823 and then the S1430.  All lovely roads.  Shortly before Tweeling I cross a river with no name.

It is flowing strongly, and next to the road is evidence that it does so often: pieces of a previous, broken bridge are washed up against the banks.  Too big a river not to have a name, so I gave it one:

The very small town of Tweeling (another first for me) comes and goes quickly.  It has a few shops, B&Bs  - saw a sign for a biker bar and an interesting looking shop on the left as I head south-east towards Harrismith on the S587.  I tell myself I should have spent some time exploring the town, it looks worth looking around, stopping for a chat with a local.  Mental note: next time.  But for now I have a cold beer in Harrismith in my sights.

The S587 becomes the S590.  I don’t think the road would have noticed, would it have been sentient.  A short stretch of tar on the R714 and back onto dirt (S918).  The Free State is really hanging out all the pretty today!

Now I’m going through the esses:  S918 – S688 – S1099 – back to S688 – S787 – S803.  The turn-off onto the S787 has no sign marking it as such, but a more interesting one reading “Majoorsdrif”.  I somehow missed Majoorsdrif itself, but the track was fun and beautiful to ride.  Yes: “track”, because it deteriorates into a typical farm tweespoor, and then becomes just a grassy strip between two barbed wire fences.  I thought about turning back, Garmap having lead me onto private roads with locked gates before.  But then I thought, what the heck, I’ll likely never pass this way again; it’s beautiful:  riding here is a privilege that the gods would have kept for themselves if they were clever enough to have thought of motorbikes, so I carried on.  Eventually the grass grew another tweespoor track, which eventually became a road again.  A nice little find!

By this time I could see some thunderclouds building up in the general direction I’m going.  I packed the rain suit, but was lucky enough to dodge the stormy looking clouds. Others were not so lucky: Laurika and Gunda-Gunda arrived from opposite directions, but equally wet!

Got some beer for me and 95 octane for the Yammie in Harrismith. Saw I was dawdling a bit: the original plan was to make Geluksburg by 4PM. Since it was already just past 4, I was going to be a bit behind schedule.  But then, Draadkar didn’t promise any dancing girls before 5PM, so no hurry…

Leaving Harrismith by the S796, on my way to Middledale Pass, the Free State showed off for one last time, trying to make sure I don’t give my heart to the KZN Midlands:

Shortly before the Provincial Boundary, I took the turn-off onto the D364 towards Middledale Pass and Geluksburg. This gravel road winds through stunning scenery of the majestic sandstone hills rising above emerald green meadows. Some local huts are scattered for effect and the Nguni cattle wander around like props on a set for a movie about an African Paradise.

Winding down the Pass itself takes some concentration: in geological terms it is a massive conglomeration of potholes held together by a sparse matrix of bitumen. I stretch my legs by sitting on top of the luggage, with my arms just reaching the handle bars as we coast down to Geluksburg, the Ten pop-pop-popping a continuous flatulent beat of backfires. Almost there!

Luckily I meet up with some other guys arriving (Draadkar’s son with some mates and some plastic bikes), so I don’t have to worry about finding the venue.  Stop, switch off, grin and be greeted by some old friends (big Ray, Gunda-Gunda & Pistol) and a new one (IanTheTooth). And a very friendly dog.

Quickly pitched the tent, formalities taken care of, now we can party!

Standing around the fire, catching up with everyone’s riding for the day.  From here on, things got a little out of focus…

Some interesting drinks were poured and Pistol helped me open the bottle of excellent wine that CaveGirl brought for me specially.

And then the band played…  And the zoo came out…  And I didn’t take any more piccies and cannot remember too much either.  So perforce here endeth the posting for this day.