Baviaans Lodge - waypoints and some pics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Grunt

".......... Its half past three and I'm switching gear .........."

Some lines for a song which seem appropriate cos its 3.30am and I'm awake waiting for the sun to rise.

Cos today it's Baviaans toe.

The plan: Travel the Elands river road to Patensie. Eat something and then go, via gravel to a place called Baviaans Lodge.Sleep there. Then go from there to the Baviaanskloof proper and return to PE.

Problem: Nobody knows what lies between Baviaans Lodge and Baviaanskloof. In fact, no one knows where Baviaans Lodge is. Not even the owner when asked for GPS waypoints. He did, however, email detailed road directions to me.

Problem half solved then? Yeah, right. Actual roads are are a lot rougher than the ones on paper.

I see the sun rise from  my kitchen. .......... at last, with the promise of a beautiful day and I can't help but think of someone pretty.

img1415sg1.jpg

All packed away I go to meet the okes ....another Grant (1980 XT500 with no respect for the new bikes), and Vaalies .....Jack (BMW X country) and Brian (Kawa 450 MX bike). Me ... Suzy Wong of course.... GS1150. In Patensie we are to meet another 7 or so bikes.

img0045xe4.jpg

img0029cq0.jpg

The Elands river road begins at Rocklands and winds through valleys dotted with farms. It is one of the ways to get to Steytlerville via the Grootrivier. The other way is to come through Patensie. Waypoints to note on this road are the Telkom Tower and the Grasnek Gate. They are the what you need to look out for if you are interested in going to Steytlerville.

img1288bi6.jpg

But today we are not going to Steytlerville but to Patensie and it's stunning day and the road is made for 100 to 140 km/h riding. So that's what we do. All the way to the Telkom tower. From here the road changes character and some caution is required in the descent into Patensie. There are sections with naartjie size rocks to test one a little. Natural reaction is slack off ...... don't ....... keep the power on call.

img0043ib2.jpg

Patensie ..... another gateway to the Baviaanskloof. Petrol, Spar, bottlestore ...... It's all there. Also Tolboskafee and another new place for good breakfasts. One thing that makes me fond of Patensie is the people ...... they are so friendy. In fact, anywhere in the Baviaans you find this thing called friendly. It's lekker. If I could just find a pretty weduwee there then life would be just perfect!

Anyway we meet the others at new place. I eyed the array of MX bikes and when someone, who seems to know a thing or two, asks "... and who's on the GS?" I start to feel apprenhensive.

We have lunch, do the petrol thing and off we go. Gravel route in the general direction of Kareedouw. The roads are similar to the Elands road but with some loose stuff on some corners. For me, 60 to 100km/h stuff. And a dusty face for my caution.

This was lekker but long and far and time is beginning to go against us. Urgency becomes an issue cos MX bikes don't have lights.

screensaverpics00003fj8.jpg

A Kouga River gorge is in this area. It is spectacular. With time against us we could not enjoy scenery as it demands. There's a log cabin, in the gorge that appears to be a weekend getaway one can rent. When I do this again I plan to be at this point no later than 3 pm so that I can sit in awe and savour the beauty.

img0089uv1.jpg

img0062lf3.jpg

img0099vl5.jpg

screensaverpics00013ft1.jpg

screensaverpics00005vw1.jpg

screensaverpics00017rz2.jpg

img0101gl5.jpg

img0093kd4.jpg

From this point it is about 25 km to the lodge. It is a hard ride on a GS. Naartjie size rocks all over. If you have a GS, you will get there, but be careful. If you not careful then be insured. A smaller bike or KTM is more suited for this kind of riding. Also try and do this ride with at least 2 hours of daylight left. You can go slower and enjoy. But you will be tired, this I promise.

Once you get to Baviaans Lodge it is so worth it. All of us were exhausted but here we found relaxed hospitality. You get there and the joint is yours ...... you can really relax and chill.

The lodge comprises a main building which is the eating/bar area with a huge fireplace. There is a boma braai area. At the back one finds three stone cottages with fireplaces. Very nice. Bed and breakfast R 250. Or you can camp there ...... summer might be a better time for that option. Nice thing is that you can take your own meat and booze and use the facility for supper.

There are some new folk running the place. They started 10 days back and have some lekker plans. They are husband and wife, Brin and Lesley. Nice people, very relaxed, non five star types. Perfect for the situation.

screensaverpics00009zq8.jpg

screensaverpics00007qe5.jpg

screensaverpics00006nz3.jpg

After a long and enjoyable evening we staggered off to bed. I slept like log thanks to a long days ride, brandy/coke and a sleeping pill. Aparently I snore loudly.

Next day after a scrumptious breakfast Brian, Jack and I pulled stiff bodies onto bikes, said goodbye to the others and retraced 20 km's of hard ride to a T junction. Because we didn't have to beat the sunset we could enjoy the scenery by going slower. It is really beautiful.

At the T junction we had to make a decision : turn left and head for the Baviaanskloof proper or turn right and take the easier route home. Nobody knew what the turn left option held in store. We would get to a point in the kloof near Sandvlakte then from there ride all the way back to PE. Nobody could tell us how long the it would take to get to Sandvlakte. Anything between 2 and 4 hours had been mentioned. Then once at Sandvlakte another 4 hours to Patensie. Once more we would be racing against the sun and when you race in the Baviaans anything can happen.

We turned right and took the safer option home. It was wise I think. We really didn't know what the other route held in store. When I do attempt that track I will sleep another night. You need time to ride safely in that area. No rush and enjoy.  I know from previous rides that bike breakdowns or falls out there can become complicated affairs.

I said goodbye to Brian and Jack at the Jeffrey's Bay turnoff and headed back along the N2 to PE to say hello to a pretty friend ...........

Waypoints

Kareedouw S33 57.071 E24 17.405
Baviaans Lodge turnoff on R62 S33 56.703 E24 18.973
Kouga River bridge in gorge S33 51.478 E24 13.367
Baviaans Lodge turnoff in Kouga mountains S33 50.921 E24 14.196
Baviaans Lodge S33 46.151 E24 05.927

Rocklands S33 51.960 E25 18.829  -this is the beginning of the Elandsrivier Rd if you approach from PE or Uitenhage 
Telkom Tower on Elands River rd S33 38.863 E24 47.989 - on the Elandsrivier Rd. You turn off here to head off to steytlerville via the Grootrivier.

New place for nice meals near Patensie S33 43.733 E24 45.886
Patensie S33 45.474 E24 48.737

I have other waypoints plus those emailed route directions to the Lodge. PM me if anyone wants them.

Has anybody been from this Lodge to Sandvlakte?